E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Non-M Aluminum Radiator - frustrating search

44K views 102 replies 45 participants last post by  brendan_select 
#1 ·
I will post this in the drivetrain section as well because non FI people will also be interested.
As part of my AA/2 installation I wanted to get away from the OEM radiator with its plastic end tanks and go to an aluminum radiator. Since I have an automatic transmission I also opted for a bigger transmission oil cooler thus I would only need a manual transmission version radiator. I started by ordering a PWR radiator only to be told a week later that PWR has stopped bringing in this particular radiator. Then I inquired about a Mishimoto radiator and found that they are in the prototype stage for the non-M version. Next, I ordered a Mizu radiator (actually the cheapest one so far), it came in damaged so a replacement was ordered. We then discovered today that the replacement (along with the 1st one) has a manufacturing error on it - both hose connectors are welded on backwards so that the angled bevel up to the clip circle is facing the radiator not the hose. I know, you get what you paid for and it was the cheapest of the three. While we wait on what Mizu is going to do I will use my OEM radiator. In case Mizu does not cooperate, does anyone know of a cost effective aluminum radiator for the non-M?

Jim

#36 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Nope, cause when we buy replacement hoses for cooling overhaul. Doesn't ask us for a manual or auto. Only difference is one has a mounting spot for the auto tranny cooler.

Anthony@BimmerBrakes

#9 ·
Having replaced the OEM radiator on my E46 with a custom aluminum piece, I can say the Zionsville piece is actually cheaper than doing it yourself.

You guys are forgetting that to properly replace the OEM piece, you need to add a reservior, pressure cap, lines, and overflow tank. And a custom radiator is very likely to need an aftermarket fan as well....unless someone figures out how to remount the OEM plastick housing.

So as someone that has DONE this, as opposed to talked about it, consider the Zionsville piece to save some headaches.

#16 ·
Agreed...plus think of the headaches saved by never having to replace your radiator and expansion tank.

But still, its $1k+ for a freakin' radiator:confused:

Holding breath for the Mishi non-M radiator. Kind of shocks me that no sponsor on this forum has really stepped up to fill this gap.

#12 ·
Because ECSTuning made the same mistake. They thought it would fit non-M, but found out later it doesn't. Even confirmed my Mishimoto when people called.

You have the S54 motor, which assumes you have the oil cooler and relocated expansion tank as well? So maybe your front clip is slightly different mounting.

#18 · (Edited)
I just finished machining and welding up a custom non-M aluminum radiator.

I started with the OBX-R aluminum non-M radiator, which has the wrong necks welded on, but fits relatively well otherwise. They are standard barb fittings for rubber/silicone hoses. Not compatible with the BMW E46 quick-connect hoses (more complicated must mean better, right BMW?). So with the help of my boss, I cut them off, turned new necks out of 6061 2" OD, 1.25" ID aluminum tube on a lathe, and then welded them on. I very carefully measured the OE radiator's necks for dimensions, and machined the new necks to the correct specifications. Here it is: :thumbsup:

As you can see above, fewer features are necessary in the necks than are molded into the OE plastic. The groove secures the quick-clip, the chamfer centers the fitting on the neck and stops its travel at the correct place, and the radius cut on the end spreads the o-ring for easy install/uninstall. The o-ring seats in about the middle of the smaller OD neck flat, just as with the OE neck. The recess machined into the back allows the new neck to slip onto the cut-off OBX stub for fixture-free welding. It is installed and running now, with no problems. :thumbsup:

The OBX radiator is the ONLY alternative to the Zionsville at the moment. I'm the one who posted the review of Mishimoto's attempt (and failure) here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11889435&postcount=34

Mishimoto's only fits the M3, and the necks are welded on backwards anyway! Mishimoto told me their entire stock has the problem, and they have no solution. That's a lot of scrap aluminum. Almost every online vendor is misinformed about Mishimoto's radiator. Mishimoto told them all it will fit the non-M. It won't.

The custom build cost me approximately $200 for the OBX radiator + $35 for the aluminum tube stock. A steal if you have the tools. Get the necks made and welded if not. Or the Zionsville is a direct drop-in.

#34 ·
Long overdue: installed pics as requested. Not sure why you really need them, but here they are:

The tab at the top-center of the fan shroud would not hold onto the thicker flange of the OBX radiator, so it snapped off when tightening down the screws on the shroud's top two corners.

#33 ·
this is going on a Z4. the NON-M versions share the same radiator and i was curious to placement of the expansion tank. i have an OBX radiator and the inlets require slip-on hoses with clamps, they will not allow the expansion tank to mate to the hose correctly.... been lookin at the e36 ppl and they have used custom expansion tanks..

#35 · (Edited)
I've come to a new conclusion: keep the stock radiator.
So if your radiator blows up, buy another one.
I thought, for a long time that my radiator was a weak point in my setup, that it would somehow fail me or induce overheating due to a lack of cooling capacity. My previous assertion was wrong. Even if it's prone to blow up, observing a lot of issues on e46nonMs, the radiator is one of the most solid parts of the plastic cooling system of the e46nonM. I've gone through 3 water bottles. One due to my own error, another due to a mechanic's error. None out of fault of their own. I've replaced the plastic cap once, the old one had a piece of plastic chip off the bottom. And I've replaced one of the radiator hoses, the oring expanded and popped out. I've gone through three thermostats: the first got stuck closed, the second I chipped accidentally. Yet, the one part that has not let me down is the radiator. It's almost 10 years old, 120k miles worth of abuse. It has never been replaced.
On cars that I have seen with cooling system problems, either the radiator survived the trauma or failed due to trauma caused by the failure of another part. Like: fan stops working, engine overheats, radiator explodes. I currently cool my turbo with coolant, still my temps, in 'c as read by the test function #7, is around 89-98' while being beat in the florida heat! This is very on target.

#37 ·
I've come to a new conclusion: keep the stock radiator.
So if your radiator blows up, buy another one.
I thought, for a long time that my radiator was a weak point in my setup, that it would somehow fail me or induce overheating due to a lack of cooling capacity. My previous assertion was wrong. Even if it's prone to blow up, observing a lot of issues on e46nonMs, the radiator is one of the most solid parts of the plastic cooling system of the e46nonM. I've gone through 3 water bottles. One due to my own error, another due to a mechanic's error. None out of fault of their own. I've replaced the plastic cap once, the old one had a piece of plastic chip off the bottom. And I've replaced one of the radiator hoses, the oring expanded and popped out. I've gone through three thermostats: the first got stuck closed, the second I chipped accidentally.
On cars that I have seen with cooling system problems, either the radiator survived the trauma or failed due to trauma caused by the failure of another part. I currently cool my turbo with coolant, still my temps, in 'c as read by the test function #7, is around 89-98' while being beat in the florida heat! This is very on target.
I think I have to agree. The more my "spend money" side wants to waste $1500 on a Zionsville Radiator...my "common sense" side kicks me in the ass and reminds me that my OEM radiator is still working well with almost 100k miles and 7 years of service. I've got the Stewart EMP pump, changed my expansion tank and thermostat at 60k, and flushed my coolant every year with a 50/50 mix of BMW coolant and distilled water.

Lastly, it has seen temps from 115 degrees to -20 degrees, snow, rain, monsoons, tropical storms, and ample track trime.

So my common sense side wins...I'll stick with the OEM radiator.

#38 ·
New Mizu Non-M3 Radiator

Hey guys not that I disagree with the last comments about the OEM radiators lasting a while (mine has 81k) BUT like all things with BMWs it's about preventive maintenance. I'm sure most of us have replaced the water pump/thermostat/hoses long before they had the opportunity to fail thus eliminating the possibility of expensive engine repairs. So I'm sure we all heard about OEM radiators having issues as they near the 100k mark. BTW I've just noticed that Mizu is now showing a non-M3 aluminum radiator on their website (http://mymizu.com/bmwe46alrama.html) has anyone already installed it in their vehicle?

#45 ·
I just got off the phone with a tech person with "Speed Daddy", a California company who is listing this unusually cheap radiator ($131.99? vs. Mizu's $400+ price) and asked him to post some customer recommendations on this forum. In addition, it would be great if a forum member who lives near this company would go check them out.

We will see.
Jim

#44 ·
if i was to venture a guess this new rad. will keep temps even on extremely hot days way down! Now i went a step further i also got the stewart hp water pump, and the stett hoses, and a lower temp thermostat with housing from zionnsville also so i would have to say my cooling system is bullet proof! Now don't get me wrong i did spend a pretty penny, but the piece of mind i have now is well worth it! I just think this answer is not for everyone, as not everyone wants to spend that much money or really needs to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.