E46 Fanatics Forum banner

BMW Drift Thread

127K views 505 replies 70 participants last post by  dogsgottaeat 
#1 ·
I was hoping to get a thread going for those of us interested in drifting. Where we can discuss drift set ups, techniques , events, etc.

With that said, I'm looking to do my first drift event next month, and if all goes well, I think an LSD upgrade will be in the near future.

But for now any tips for a first timer?

#269 ·
#273 ·
Hey been away from this board for a bit, lots of stuff going on, but I am back! First thats some sick **** there Alex! A

And djtyfighter Ill get you pics soon of everything (still a work in progress). Still gotta hack my fenders and install the fender flares along with the 20mm spacers pushing the fronts out a ton. With 0 offset. Should be dialed in close to, if not exact to chelseas setup once done.But ill def keep you posted!

#276 · (Edited)

Attachments

#282 · (Edited)
Thanks man. I saw your build a while ago on the subframe and everything. Made me considering pulling it down this winter. And i just responded sorry

Iroc is yours manual trans?
yes sir

Well I'm not running BMW rotors or calipers or stud pattern. What I have is Nissan z33(350z) brembo rotors and calipers. Made two brackets, one to weld to the control arm and one to bolt onto the old caliper mount. Ran the same set up in the e36 but running Nissan r32gtr gear(smaller) and was great! Hopefully this would be the same. The seperate hydraulic handbrake makes driving so much better too!
Just found out Massive Brakes still provides a kit for e36 M3s that will work with e46 non-ms. I emailed him. Super nice guy Ill prolly be going hydro dual caliper soon. Maybe...

#287 ·
Didn't think I would actually find a healthy drifting thread on this site, but I was wrong! I'm currently working on accumulating parts for my 330 to turn it into a mild daily driver/drifter. See the build link in my sig. Many updates are coming in December!

Happy sliding.

#291 ·
Primarily for street use right now. It is not as bad as I expected, especially once the tires get warmed up; they only seem to chatter when cold. Parking spots are where you can really tell its welded. I noticed my traction control light come on a couple times when pulling into a spot. I need more time with it to really feel it out, but overall... streetable.

Note, I have NOT driven in rain with it yet. It has been SOOOOO dry on the west coast lately.

#298 ·
Agreed. Driving in the rain is a blast now. I actually get some traction now with both rear wheels getting power!

Also, you have any experience with wheel hop in the rain? I have a feeling it is my stock worn out RTABs. Hopefully the AKG spherical bushings I have coming in will fix it.

#299 ·
Flop said:
Agreed. Driving in the rain is a blast now. I actually get some traction now with both rear wheels getting power!

Also, you have any experience with wheel hop in the rain? I have a feeling it is my stock worn out RTABs. Hopefully the AKG spherical bushings I have coming in will fix it.
Love my welded in the rain too! As for the wheel hop, I still get it in hard launches with almost an entirely aftermarket rear-end. Never got any before having a welded though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.