E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY Gauge Cluster Swapping: Mileage & DSC light Fix (M35080 Chip)

94K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  mschbrem 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I had an issue with the gas gauge and the led display in my '01 325xi wagon.

I picked up a used cluster form a junk yard only to find that it triggered the manipulation dot and set off the DSC/ABS system.

I knew I could fix the DSC light with NCS Expert but I wanted to adjust the mileage so the car wouldn't be a true mileage unknown vehicle when I went to get it inspected next year.
I did a lot of research, bought some pointless scan tools and basically figured out that my M35080 chip equipped cluster couldn't be reprogrammed over the odb2 port. I bit the bullet and pulled apart the bad cluster:

Pulled off the needles and found the M35080
De-soldered the chip and re-soldered it on the new replacement cluster

and VOILA!

Notes:
-still need a windshield wiper tank, lol
-This is a pita to do so find someone who is good with a soldering iron and has done this sort of work
-OE cluster was Motormeter and replacement was Bosch.. everything seems to work as it should
-Take care of when you pull your needles to make sure you can put them in the exact right spot

:pimpin:

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Probably not in the case of the E46. The software is fairly different between the M and non-M clusters. If it does work, I would imagine the speedo and tacho scales would be off, the rev lights wouldn't work, and the oil temp gauge would act like an mpg gauge.

When the chip was moved over from the original cluster the chassis number would match up, that is what triggers the tamper dot. A difference in odometer readings wouldn't.

As for the mileage, all items that store mileage readings are updated to meet the highest reading in the system. Your keys actually store the odometer reading too, if you give them to the counter at BMW they can read it off. A key may not be used for months, as soon as you put it in it takes the highest mileage reading. This is one of the problems of buying a new cluster if you are going to recode it. The mileage has to be less than your current one (or you have to have it programmed BEFORE you connect to the car).

If you plug it in and it updates the system with a higher mileage you then would need to get all the modules recoded. :(
In my experience, the car doesn't increment the mileage unless the VINs match. So unless you change the VIN without changing the mileage, there shouldn't be much issue.

Also for anyone intending to do the chip swap, make sure the clusters are the same software number.

#11 ·
Sorry but I am confused. I have a 1999 E46 328i Sedan. I need to change my cluster out due to some plastic being broken on the inside. The reset button and the clock settings both have the tabs broken off and also the round plastic that holds the striker stalk in place on the clock side is broken. I can set the clock but thats it. As for the other side its useless for resetting or running any tests. I attempted the DIY tab fix I found here somewhere but with the other damage included it seems I need a diffrent cluster. Can I just buy a used one and hook it to my car? I see them on eBay and ECS tuning sells them. The dealer will be waaaaaay higher and will make me code it I imagine. I also thought of maybe trying to get one and switching the chips via a local computer shop. Now I am unsure on what all is involved. :confused:

#12 ·
has anyone run into this problem with the wagon with the Euro lights? I have rear fog lights on my 2001 325iT. Both knobs are broken and I want to replace the cluster. I am concerned that the new cluster wont work properly because I have the euro rear foglights and switches. Any advice?

#15 ·
so to be clear, if you change chips and the new chip has lower milage, in about 120 miles the odo will change the to the highest reading in any memory? and your tamper dot will come on too? is this correct?

example, my car has 110k and i buy a new cluster with 90k and swap the chip in the speedo, my speedo will now read 90k until i drive 120 miles and then the odo will change to 110k and my tamper dot will light up? is this what happen to redbull? thats what im asking

i can live with a tamper dot, i just dont want to buy used cluster with 175k on it and my can change to that..

This post has been deleted
#17 · (Edited)
From what it says you do have to buy a new cluster and have a used one re coded to the car. Unless you can set the cluster to o miles or within 120 miles...also the vin has to match which can be recoded.... I think instead of having a dealer recode you can buy a pa soft that will recode it for you and do many other things...like roll down windows with the key and do any diagnostics including abs and air bag...plug and play direct from china for $30...as for the indicator lights...they are led and can possibly be re soldered

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=755156
to replace leds....this was for the gauge lights...

if anyone knows different list some details and a diy....i would like some specific information on recoding the ike and the abs module....using pa soft or ncs expert....i particularly want to know about abs recoding

#18 ·
i realize replacing the LEDs can be done simply by buying new LEDs and soldering them in place. but since my tamper dot is already on (possible that the cluster was replaced with a used one by PO?), buying a used cluster and transferring my chip probably wont do me any good. it looks like a need a brand new cluster (~$650) and having it coded or coding it myself

#19 · (Edited)
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402839. ....you can rewrite the mileage and change the vin

look at this http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=755156

he said he broke his first cluster...bought a new set and had it recoded to the car....maybe he knows...for what he paid it couldnt have been new....

i have pa soft and i know it codes ike....I know it resets mileage on some chips, but not the m35080...i just got it and used it to read codes...it was like $40....and for what it does thats a steal...i know it will change the vin on the cluster to the vin on the body. the next post has a device that sets the mileage to zero....i know there is something that will remove the tamper dot...dont know what yet

#22 ·
Does anyone in Santa Barbara / Ventura / Oxnard have the PA Soft 1.4 or other software that they can help me with? I have a used cluster on the way to me but I'd rather not take it apart to unsolder/solder the m35080 chip. And i have no experience with the odb software. The cluster is the exact same model # as the one coming out of my car but it has 100k more miles on it than my car really has.

#24 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have an E46 M3 and had to change out my cluster due to it being shorted (the back light didnt work and rpm gauge would intermittently work), however with this used cluster i got from a friend, my DCS and Brake lights stay on. Would this work for my cluster as well ? to flip the chips around.

thanks for your time in advance

#26 ·
It's serendipitious that this thread got bumped today because for the last two days I have been scouring the internet trying to find a DIY fix for my cluster that went bad a couple days ago. This thread stands out more than any of the other ones I've read.

I want to do this fix described but unfortunately the picture in the OP's follow-up post showing what the M35080 chip looks like doesn't appear anymore.

Can anyone advise what the chip looks like? Is it clearly marked?

My other question is, how important is it that the used cluster I get comes from the same vehicle? I have a 2000 BMW 328.

I am going to PM the OP and see if he will stick his head in to answer questions.

Even if he doesn't I am going to give this a try and I will post my results.

And Twitzid, to answer your question, I think you can enter one of the "test modes" by holding in the trip reset button and turning the key and there is a way to change from km/h to mph.

#27 · (Edited)
Thank you! Maybe somebody know any DIY for fixing dial indicators? I removed them because i wanted to change background to white, but after i replace them, speed and oil meter didnt work. I dont what to change whole cluster, any tip? Cheers.

When im doing test, all needles are moving like they shoud exept speed needle, it keeps stucking. When i was removing the speed needle, it came off with that metal stick in it. So is it possible to change only the motor for it?

#29 ·
so the only way to fix this is either do what op has said or find someone with NCS or similiar? i have PA Soft and ive tried and read that you can do it if you have the m35080 chip which my replacement cluster i bought at the wrecker does have,

i wonder if the stealership will do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.