E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SES Light Remains - Using PASoft 1.4

11K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  TT330i 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

After using this forum to repair an endless amount of DIY projects from VANOS to Window Regulators, I have finally met my match.

My 2005 3.30i (150,000 miles) threw a Service Engine Soon light. I ordered PASoft and an adapter and went ahead and pulled the lifetime of codes from the computer. I saved the log file, and went ahead and cleared all errors. I actually cleared the errors a few times because more errors went away each time.

After 3 clearings I was able to get only a few errors to even remain in the system.

---
ABS*
5E16/20 - CAN Timeout Instrument Cluster
5DA3/A0 Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v comparison
5DA3/A0 Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v comparison
5DF4/20 - Vehicle Power < 9 Volts

SRS - > Shadow Memory :
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage.

----

A few notes:

1) I changed a dead and dying batter about 2 months ago with an interstate. It has given me no problems at all.

2) I ran the odbII on-board voltage test... drives at 14.1 rests and 12.5 or 12.6 (which are perfect).

3) When I open the above errors in PASoft they are all yellow boxes labeled.... "error no longer persists".

4) I took out the wheel speed sensors and cleaned them for good measure with MAF cleaner.

5) Every thing on my instrument cluster works perfectly down to the clock knobs and lcd crystals.... including the speedometer.

6) I cleared the errors an extra time in PASoft, and tried to do another reset with the negative terminal.

7) I believe this light may have come on shortly after the ABS kicked in during the rain (a few days), but that may have been a coincidence.

8) The engine actually stalled in gear 2x last week but basically compression started itself back up within a few seconds. This had me thinking fuel pump / delivery until I received my scanner tool.

9) The ABS or SRS lights are not on.

So where does that leave me now?

From what I have read on the forums, these errors above are generally not enough to throw a code. Many people find these errors but no SES light.

My next steps are to do the best inspection I can on the alternator and voltage regulator, but I don't see that being the case now after the ODBII test.

Do I need to go to BMW so they can run additional scans that I cannot? In my 7 years of BMW ownership I have never once been on a BMW service order.... so I guess getting ripped off for 1 hour labor wouldnt be the end of the world. :woot:

Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would also like to know this

SRS - > Shadow Memory :
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage.

as my scans always pull this up

#4 · (Edited)
Hi All,

After using this forum to repair an endless amount of DIY projects from VANOS to Window Regulators, I have finally met my match.

My 2005 3.30i (150,000 miles) threw a Service Engine Soon light. I ordered PASoft and an adapter and went ahead and pulled the lifetime of codes from the computer. I saved the log file, and went ahead and cleared all errors. I actually cleared the errors a few times because more errors went away each time.

After 3 clearings I was able to get only a few errors to even remain in the system.

---
ABS*
5E16/20 - CAN Timeout Instrument Cluster
5DA3/A0 Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v comparison
5DA3/A0 Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v comparison
5DF4/20 - Vehicle Power < 9 Volts

SRS - > Shadow Memory :
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage
Have you tested to make sure the ABS still actually works real time?

#5 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Thanks for the views and replies. Yes I had run the tests with the engine running for that reason.

Quick Update:

I believe that I need to solder pins 7 & 8 on the BMW scanner I ordered from newegg.

The DME and EWS menus were registering as 'not found', and were not bringing up any errors. I opened up the scanner and I don't have any pins soldered the way that some had already come for others. Since my vehicle is a 2005, I have no 20 pin under the hood connection.

I am optimistic that I have additional codes in the DME that I just need to unlock and clear to get rid of my SES light.

Can anyone verify that they unlocked the DME menu from being 'not found' by soldering pins?

#6 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the views and replies. Yes I had run the tests with the engine running for that reason.

Quick Update:

I believe that I need to solder pins 7 & 8 on the BMW scanner I ordered from newegg.

The DME and EWS menus were registering as <not found>, and were not bringing up any errors. I opened up the scanner and I don't have any pins soldered the way that some had already come for others. Since my vehicle is a 2005, I have no 20 pin under the hood connection.

I am optimistic that I have additional codes in the DME that I just need to unlock and clear to get rid of my SES light.

Can anyone verify that they unlocked the DME menu from being <not found> by soldering pins?
IDK, I thought the soldering for the pins was for flashing only. I could be wrong.

#7 ·
Hi Fast,

That's what I had thought too, which was why I didn't clue right in to it. However, I found some different info across the web etc.

1) I saw that some people could ONLY see DME until they solder.

2) This is the most relevant post that I have found with an answer. middle to bottom of page. lesbremmer has same issue as me, ally comes in and says he does too, then shortly after follows up saying he fixed it with the solder.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/bmw-scanner-1-4-0-a-t113420/

I already opened my box and there is NO solder between 1+2 or 7+8.

---

T-minus 3 hours until I go for it. Any input is much appreciated, otherwise ......PLACE YOUR BETS. Update to Come.

#9 ·
hey whats up guys! saw scanning & service engine light so ive got a few
questions & problems if your guys can maybe help me solve.

ive got an 02 325ci 142k on it.
so check this out ive had my ses light on since about 130k or so
my mechanic says my car wont allow the computer to read it!
he INSISTED i go to BMW to have it looked at. mean while asoon as he said have them look at it
I immediately said wow let me just flus money down the toilet hold on lol
mean while I cant get a smog check for registration or new tags until the lights gone

help what do I do?

#11 ·
OK Bavarian: Ignore the shadow memory. Those are codes not actually present and are only used for history documentation purposes. The SRS/ABS code will obviously not trigger the SES light. You MUST scan the DME as that holds the clue to your problem. Often, it is not about the soldering of the pins but ensuring the scanner pins line up exactly with the OBD port. Unplug and replug the scanner multiple times. I have to do that sometimes before it can read all the modules. And wait around 2 mins after you turn the key to pos 2 before you start the scanning program. Good luck.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks e46er,

Yeah I am past those errors now for those reasons, I am focused on getting the DME codes out.

I definitely am making sure it is fully inserted. And have done about 10 scans now with unplugs etc between them. I usually wait about 30 seconds after turning on the car to connect the adapter,then about 30 more to the computer, everything else scans fine. Just tried it with 3 minutes between each... nothing.

Update:

So I soldered pins 7,8... then also tried 1,2 as well. It didn't do anything.

I also tried to update the software to 1.4.0.8 to no avail.

On websites for the product & software I read this:

"Unlocked" functions to show possibilities of full version:
DTCs description in DME MS43.0, EWS3, SRS MRS4
Clearing DTCs in same units

I purchased it from newegg.

I'll probably help FastChaz or another e46 driver scan their vehicle to see if it is my scanner or my vehicle.

Any other thoughts? I also noticed that on the first startup screen after the initial scan, I don't get any chasis or options info, I only get milage in km and VIN. Not sure if that's related.

#22 · (Edited)
#23 · (Edited)
I bought this more (2x) expensive version and had no luck erasing SRS error codes (all associated subsystems are in working order) and was not able to turn the airbag light off.

I just downloaded the suggested latest drivers but to no avail...

You might want to reboot your system (re-seat the OBD connector few times) that often makes the DME display on PASoft...

#24 · (Edited)
There is plenty of confusion to go around...

The scanner I purchased is from a different supplier (using PASoft version 1.4.0.6) that cost twice as much -not especially responsive nor knowledgeable technical support. On occasion, this Scanner will not read ('not found') SRS module which is odd since a reboot of my PC will allow it to do so (installed latest USB drivers).

It shows 11 old (yellow boxes) errors but the main offender 'airbag warning light' will not clear (all SRS related sensors and airbag status check OK)

Welcome your collective thoughts and wisdom?

#25 ·
Bring up real time date for the air bag/SRS section within PA Soft and make sure all your seat belts, seat sensors and other things are properly working.

Dl you know the cars history?

Why is the Airbag light on?

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks JfoJ...

Yes, all real time SRS settings are correct and responsive (seatbelt letch, seating sensor, airbags, etc).

No idea why the airbag light came on suddenly -The connector under the passenger seat may have been disturbed while retracted back (trapping a water bottle). I reconnected and tried to clear again but to no avail...(?)

I even disconnected the battery (negative terminal) overnight and tried again but no luck.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

#28 ·
You mention the connector under the passenger seat, many of these connectors come loss from the seat frame and sit on the floor. Did the water bottle leak at all??

I had a really strange problem happen on an E46 at one point. During the Summer someone when to pick tomatoes from a friends garden and they did not have a bag. One of the tomatoes rolled under the passenger seat and sat against the big seat connector for a few days. The skin on the tomato broke and a small amount of juice from the tomato got on the connector under the seat and caused electrolysis to eat a up a few connector pins and trigger the airbag light. A few pins actually looked burned and melted, but they were actually corroded.

As I recall there was a code for the seat back position as it was a 2 door car??

You may want to pop the connector open under the passenger seat and carefully inspect all the wiring. You may just have water in the connector and it may not cause a trouble code to be triggered but somehow confuse the airbag module??

#29 ·
Thanks for your clever insight...

The connector never separated as such -I simply assumed that it may have been disturbed when the seat was retracted. The water bottles was just jammed nearby but never spilled. All the seat and related functions (accupancy, belts, etc) are all normal and responsive to changes.

#30 ·
Anyone know how Jascha got his issue solved? I seem to be there now...

I have the same symptoms: Airbag red dash idiot light came on suddenly 3 months ago, no apparent event caused it , PA Soft shows 8 yellow (currently not present) errors only in SRS, all other SRS on Live Data shows green and responds correctly. I even tried using the coding to toggle off each of the items and watched the Airbag light. (I had tried this with the Seat Belt red idiot light and got it to stay out when I toggled the driver's seat belt buckle switch with PA Soft.) I could see the Airbag red idiot light go out for a second then come right back for each item I toggled in SRS.

Ive owned this car from day one so I know it has not hit anything that would cause airbag deployment.

Like many others Ive worked on window regs and messed with door airbags a little. I tried to visually check some of the connectors but I don't know squat about the systems. Ive been doing lots of searching, but I must admit, I am very weak at search capabilities. Still typing at snails pace.

Any thoughts on how else to figure this out are most appreciated.

#33 · (Edited)
After much hesitation (misguided) to accept the inevitable that the control module might be faulted, I tried few simple things (be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal). Took out the unit and reset the connector to no avail.

Purchased the obligatory INPA or DIS software which required finding a 50Gb disc space Windows XP computer (laptopt) and a steep learning curve to make it work -still, could not reset the air bag light.

I found a E46 replacement module (similar release version) on eBay but have not installed it yet (not my daily driver) since I was not sure of how much coding (if any) is required and some question on the true history of the SRS module.

Keep us updated if you decide to replace it and the approach you to took to 'code' (is it a coupe or 4-door)

#34 ·
4 door sedan.

I saw a post on here where one of the subject experts on PA soft stated that PA soft could be used to re-code a replacement module. That would be nice, but I'm pretty computer stupid. (I still cant fiqure out how to attach images or screen shots to these posts!)

Wish me luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.