E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Is this a scam or legitimate? My guess is definitely scam.

• Yes, obviously.

Votes: 56 91.8%
  • Nope, he's legit.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Tough call.

Votes: 4 6.6%

e46 m3 buy, is this a scam or real? Must see.

15K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  nickr519 
#1 ·
Hi, my names nick and I'm new to the forum (although I have been browsing it for quite a while haha). I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and I have been in the market for an 6mt e46 m3 coupe for a little while. I have been scoping out the phoenix craigslist and have test driven a few m3's I have found (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB-Y1KpBFmU). Recently, I have made a shocking discovery on craigslist, one that I am ALMOST certain is too good to be true.

Someone was offering a quote unquote Clean 2003 M3 convertible... for 7500 dollars. Yes, $7500. Naturally, I sent him a shocked email, asking if it was really true. This is our conversation from that point on:

Him:

Hello there and thanks for your interest,
The car is in perfect working condition.It has no scratches on and hasn't been involved in an accident, no rust.
The motor runs very well.The car was always garaged and never been smoked in.The interior is very clean.Also I want you to know that the car is fully paid off, it's not under leasing or bank liabilities.I am sorry to sell the car for $7,500 but my wife has serious health problems and I need the money to save her life.My wife is very sick and I want to tell you that I am not selling this car for profit.I sell the car to help my wife.I hope to find a buyer as soon as possible.I attached some pics for you.If you have any further question please do not hesitate to ask in order to make this a successful deal.
Best Regards
2003 BMW M3 CONVERTIBLE
Mileage: 34,351
Exterior Color: White
Interior Color: Grey
Transmission: 6 SPD MANUAL
Engine: 6 Cylinders
2003 BMW M3 Convertible, Soft Top, 6 Cylinder, Manual 6 Speed, Power Windows, Locks, Seats, Roof, Mirrors, A/C, Cruise Control, Anti-Lock brakes,
CD Player, Harmon-Kardon Sound System W/ Sub woofer, Keyless Entry, Alarm System, Fog Lights, Memory Seats, Bucket Seats, Driver/Passenger Air Bags,
2WD, 2 Doors, Rear Window Defroster, Wiper, Tinted Glass, 19" Alloy Wheels, Aluminum "M" Pedal Set, Rear Spoiler, Car Cover, Non-smoker. Mint condition!
All Original Manuals, Never Raced, Very Pampered, Rain Sensor, Xenon Lights,Navigation, 2 Sets of Tv's in the back
(This was followed by the pictures I have attached)

Me:

This car looks amazing! I showed my dad everything and he barely believes his eyes, similar to my reaction, and he wants me to follow up with you immediately. (I happen to be the car expert between the two of us). Is there any way you could take a picture of the placard located inside the door which contains the VIN number? My dad wanted to run a carfax like he has with all the other m3’s we’ve looked at together. By the way, my cell phone number is xxx-xxxx – feel free to contact me (Nick) if it is easier for you than using email. Also, where in the area are you located?

Him:

Hello there and thank you for comming back,
First off all I want to tell you the car is located in North Bergen, NJ.The sale price is $7,500.00 with shipping/handling included.
The car will be delivered to your address in no more than 5-6 working days.You will be given a 5 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home.
I´ll like to use an eBay service, so we'll be both protected. No money first to me, i will receive money after you will receive the car.The transaction will be made under
eBay's buyer protection plan. Since this deal will be made using a THIRD PARTY to help us closing this deal, I prefer honnest buyers.
Please let me know if you have the funds available and wish to explain you the payment and shipping process.
Thank you
To view the CARFAX Vehicle History Report, please click the link below:
2003 BMW M3 (WBSBR93423PK03705)

Okay, so nearly everything he has said has pointed me in the scam direction for this. But i figured I would consult the fanatics for a little bit of help. Thanks in advance guys, ill keep it updated.

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
Definately a scam.

This seller on buysell.com is using the same pictures as your seller...

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/...23524/2003_BMW_M3_55282KM_Exterior_Color.aspx

...About the same price too!

Craigslist, kijiji, littered with these scammers.

I responded to an ad for a 4500 dollar 2003 M3 'vert. The story:
Divorced, selling the car
Out of country (in the UK)
Ebay motors sale.

his email was georgesuton@yahoo.com

I asked for his ebay seller ID, and listing number. He could not provide either. As soon as someone tries to do business with you on eBay, outside of eBay. Forget about it. He was sending me fake ebay pages left and right. All of which had invalid domains (one's that did not correspond with ebay's site).

#39 ·
great find by the way on those pictures parchedmosquito! thats the nail in the coffin for "Fred" hahaha. Reminds me of Microsoft phone techies mysteriously named "Bob."

#42 ·
Didn't really find it. I'm in the process of finding a good 05-06 m3 to buy and was perusing the ads in buysell.com (among others in the Vancouver, BC area) , and hit upon a few scams. Then I googled this site to do some research, found this thread and said "hey those pictures look familiar!".
:lmao:

#44 ·
I was wondering about that! I really want to burn this guy because people like him happen to tick me off, especially since I kind of lured him into it by acting interested. But considering that this car probably isn't even in New Jersey , would their local PD care enough to do something about it?

#45 ·
Typical craigslist scam, forward your e-mails to spoof@ebay.com and they will take action against the guy posting the ad's.

#54 ·
done. I hope they get back to me about it do you think they will?

Most definitely a scam. You should continue to act interested and insist on flying out to NJ to see the car in person with your dad and in good citizenship you're willing to pay $15,000 in cash just to help him out and his "wife".

Stupid scumbags need to get a real job. I feel sorry for the people who fall for these scams.

Keep us updated, Nick.
I reported him so I will post if anything happens to him. I would bet my left nut this guys in Eastern Europe.

Yes, not to beat a dead horse, but all car scams are typed up the same way...

If you want to have fun with it, have the police get involved since it is so local...but this is 100% scam...he can walk into the dealer, trade in, and get more money for the car...

It's only human nature to want to fall for these things...for something too good to be true...but yeah, scams.

There is currently a 06 Lambo G on cl too...asking $25K cause he's rich and doesn't need it anymore
Haha yeah don't worry I never fell for it I knew it was a scam from the second I saw it, nothing to good to be true is. And I do want to have fun with it, I fully plan on it :p

#46 ·
I had a guy wanting that was wanting to buy my 330Ci back in the day. He wanted to send me a check for $18,000 ( I was selling for $12,500), and cash it , keep my portion and deposit the rest of it to his account. He sent me a fake Bank of America cashiers check (clearly fake, printed out on a regular printer) in an envelope with no return address. I knew it was a scammer but wanted to see how much I could string it out.

Funny thing is BoA didn't want to pursue it at all. They were like just destroy the check and move on.

Still kinda funny, I kept the check as a momento.

#47 ·
Most definitely a scam. You should continue to act interested and insist on flying out to NJ to see the car in person with your dad and in good citizenship you're willing to pay $15,000 in cash just to help him out and his "wife".

Stupid scumbags need to get a real job. I feel sorry for the people who fall for these scams.

Keep us updated, Nick.

#49 ·
I don't feel sorry for those people at all who fall for this stuff.

These are the same people who's ancestors fell for the old turning lead into gold routine a couple hundred years ago...

#50 ·
Yes, not to beat a dead horse, but all car scams are typed up the same way...

If you want to have fun with it, have the police get involved since it is so local...but this is 100% scam...he can walk into the dealer, trade in, and get more money for the car...

It's only human nature to want to fall for these things...for something too good to be true...but yeah, scams.

There is currently a 06 Lambo G on cl too...asking $25K cause he's rich and doesn't need it anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.