E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Towing an XI

5K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  bmwbob89 
#1 · (Edited)
Unbeknownst to me, my '01 XI was wrongfully towed from my lot early this morning. After talking to the apartment management, apparently because of some technicality I wasn't aware of, it's a legal tow.

They towed it 4.6 miles away. In my Bently it says that a flatbed should be used for towing an XI, however if it's a short enough distance, a dolly is acceptable. I don't know how they towed my car, and furthermore, it's de-badged so they couldn't have known it was an XI.

Is 4.6 miles considered a short distance? I'm picking my car up before they close today and want some advice on how to handle this. Does it make a difference if they put the front wheels in the air or the rear wheels? My car is manual and was in first gear with the e-brake on. So I'm assuming that means they have to use a flat bed right? Is there anything I can do if they tell me they used a dolly?

Thanks guys :tsk:

#3 ·
If it was in neutral you should be ok. Just check that there aren't any damage marks on the suspension components and you should be ok. Tow trucks usually break into a vehicle and take off the brake and move your stick to neutral. If they didn't and towed your car, there would be lots of bad things.

Does the car drive ok now?

#10 ·
First of all, I didn't make any comments so stop being a pretentious douche.
Secondly, I was asking general questions not directly related to OP.
I was kinda hoping to gain knowledge because that's the sole purpose of a forum.
I guess it's true what they say. Everyone from Boston is a dick.
This isn't a free-for-all like the general forum. xi forum can still be used for reference, as long as people like you don't muck up the place.

I personally don't want you to feel comfortable posting here. There was no xi forum for nine years and it's doesn't take long to find an old thread where rwd-ers give bad advice to xi guys, wasting their time and money. We don't post in the 'vert or m3 forum, so don't post here.

#31 ·
^We're not going to miss you. Read the whole thread. And I was happy to leave it with:

This isn't a free-for-all like the general forum. xi forum can still be used for reference, as long as people like you don't muck up the place.

I personally don't want you to feel comfortable posting here. There was no xi forum for nine years and it's doesn't take long to find an old thread where rwd-ers give bad advice to xi guys, wasting their time and money. We don't post in the 'vert or m3 forum, so don't post here.
Try adding something worthwhile or you're just mucking up a perfectly good resource.

#11 · (Edited)
Once again, I gave no advice in this thread. I was simply here to learn.
Your reading comprehension is non existent isn't it?

And I can post anywhere I please. Maybe you should head back to nazi Germany.
I hope you don't leave your little xi sub forum with your trolling. Keep your uselessness in here where it can be contained.

#12 ·
Once again, I gave no advice in this thread. I was simply here to learn.
Your reading comprehension is

And I can post anywhere I please. Maybe you should head back to nazi Germany.
I hope you don't leave your little xi sub forum with your trolling. Keep your uselessness in here where it can be contained.
This guy is a pathetic imbecile with nothing to offer but insults and typical internet bully insecurities. Ignore him.

#25 · (Edited)
My father said that either way it wouldn't have really mattered. If I had seen it there in the lot then the whole "towed at owners expense" covers them..... Talked to insurance and they were like yeah if they deny it we can't prove anything.

At least the crack is so perfect that I can clip everything back and it's practically unnoticeable....il have to reinforce it though for highway driving. I'll post a pic of it back together so you can see it was pretty hard to see in the first place.....

Ugh probably wouldn't have happened if my car was stock 4x4 xi height. :facepalm: then again.... It probably would have. They clearly slammed it back down or abused it somehow. Godamn. Fuck me

I'm going to talk to the apt manager and let him know how sleazy his towing company is so maybe they change companies. Who knows, worth a shot

#26 ·
Some dirtbag towed my girlfriends' camry two days ago and he tore up the whole front of her car, from the hood to the bumper. In attempt to cover his ass he later said that the car looked like it had been in a crash, thats why he towed it away. I ended up theratening the whole office and now they are paying for it.
Your car is really low, raise it a bit.

#29 ·
Now that I have a proper keyboard...
I also didn't mention my graduate degree from the fourth rated college in the world- probably because all my friends did theirs at #1 and #3.

http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world

I didn't see Pike's Peak Commmunity College or UTI ranked on there, chilone. You're just a punk behind a parts counter with shite opinions. You're not in my league.
For an alleged college grad you sure are an illogical dumbass!! You make totally unfounded and incorrect assumptions about someone you know almost nothing about. You don't know me and to suggest that you know anything about me other than the superficial details I've divulged is asinine, unintelligent, arrogant and supremely childish. I'm just waiting for you to tell me that your dad can beat up my dad.. ya cretin!! Does attempting to belittle people on the internet make you feel good? Is that how you get meaning in your life? I'm not concerned about your education or your financial status even though you seem to want to use such shallow criteria to tell yourself that you are in some way better than me (even though you haven't the vaguest concept of either in my case) and the others you insult. The question is, are you a nice person? By all I've seen that would be a resounding NO! I wouldn't cross the street to piss on you if you were on fire. You should be ashamed of yourself strutting around here like you're the be all, end all. You're not special and it's obvious.

#35 · (Edited)
From Kubica's PM to me:

Kubica said:
I'm glad insensitive douches like you won't read my posts. I pointed out BMW experience and education. You strike me as a rich guy's little boy!
Oh you mad!

And for the record, I'm 24 years old. Graduated college at the top of my class. Got a kick ass job. Bought my M3. All while living on my own, paying my own way (and often helping friends along the way).

My parents are well off, but they got that way by working hard (Dad's a 20 year disabled army vet). Only money I got for college was 100 bucks for groceries when I left home.

My path taught me to work hard, look a man in the eyes with integrity and never put yourself above another person. I'm in everyone's league.

#36 ·
From Kubica's PM to me:

Oh you mad!

And for the record, I'm 24 years old. Graduated college. Got a kick ass job. Bought my M3. All while living on my own, paying my own way (and often helping friends along the way).

My parents are well off, but they got that way by working hard (Dad's a 20 year disabled army vet). Only money I got for college was 100 bucks for groceries when I left home.

My path taught me to work hard, look a man in the eyes with integrity and never put yourself above another person. I'm in everyone's league.
Typical!! He PMd you.. Lol

#38 ·
Hey guys don't let one douchebag scare you away. It will be a pretty lonely forum if that happens. I find the ones who think they know it all and are better than everybody else really know very little. Be glad he is not a doctor and could really do some damage. I have been on this Earth a very long time and have seen people like him before. I hate to say he is from the same state as me. Just keep poking at him and enjoy the ride. If nobody asks questions this will no longer be a forum to help others. He thinks he already has all of the answers in life and wants to be here alone. Keep enjoying life and ignore the distractions. It's a short ride!!

#40 · (Edited)
Well said. I do enjoy poking people :eeps:

OP, sorry for the thread jack. You clearly got a raw deal...what was the original cause of the tow? Did the landlord ever tell you?

#41 ·
What makes me laugh is the hypocrisy coming from kubica. As he proclaims his fathers position (which I respect for serving our country) he previously blasts all state employees stating 90% of them are incompetent. Working for the government is working for government, state or federal. Private vs public sector. I ask if his father is in the 10% but I doubt it as his son is such a douche whose self entitlement defines the direction of the stupidity in our country that plagues both sectors

#53 · (Edited)
This

I would take a video of how your car is parked and video the scumbag tow guys when you ask them how it was towed.

Don't get defensive at first. Tow companies are the scum of the earth and the drivers are all convicted fellons and almost always carry a weapon. Being a tough guy wont get you anywhere. I would probably ask for the insurance card for the tow truck and tell them you will make a claim.
^ so yeah.....I've learned my lesson. Should have legit photographed my car and inspected it etc on my hands and knees. Will do if my shit is ever towed again... Ugh :facepalm:

#45 ·
No Kubica you really don't get it. You keep blasting people and saying they are beneath you, stupid and they should get off of your forum. You should not be OK with this. You need to take a good look at yourself and change. I myself have blasted people on other forums for being lazy and not doing a little research before asking for help. I do not tell them not to post and the forum doesn't need their input. If you don't agree with an opinion that is fine but don't get personal about it. Grow up! The world does not revolve around you. Sorry that this has gotten personal but it needs to stop.

#50 ·
It's not my fault if people with less relevant experience and/or irrelevant education want to call me an imbecile. They should know where they stand.

You have to understand hedge fund analysts don't take life lessons from parts changers. I know you mean well, but it's just not something that happens in the real world. We're too busy shorting your company and banging daughters with daddy issues. Being 'nice' is a weakness, IMO. It's all about being right. You are just going to have to accept the fact that I've analyzed being 'nice' and it's a loser. I'm sure you can change parts with best of them. I would be considered a failure by my family if I worked in a shop or behind a parts counter. It's just the way it is. I am not telling you that to make you feel bad. It's just the way it is homie.

#49 ·
Sorry about the troubles OP, I've had issues with towing companies before as well. Just recently on my previous xi my weatherstripping got torn up as they tried to unlock the car. The good thing is it's not that noticeable really. And like bmwbob89 says a little touch up and it looks fine. But man do I know what it feels like to have annoying blemish on your car. Good luck.

#59 · (Edited)
I've been abused and I have an XI, two X3's, One 740il, 528i and a 88 M5. So don't call a non XI'er. I have no problem with his advice as that is what the forum is for. His personal attacks are a different matter. He disagreed with me a while back about something fairly silly and told me my opinion and help was not need on the forum. Here is his quote:

Lol. "Master" mechs like you just hack away at jobs as quick as you can to make a buck. We don't need your generic master hack advice around here. Many of us could do your job no problem. We just chose more lucrative professions.

Since when it is his decision who comes to the forum? He doesn't know me well enough to make the above statement. Your posters are your customers at the forum. This is not how you treat your customers. So I will continue to poke him when he insults me or others.

Now I shall go drink a beer and enjoy the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.