E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: E46 Shock Sensor Install

39K views 89 replies 48 participants last post by  paraklas 
#1 ·
Thanks to Dave (Osbee on the board) with his post about adding the sensor... I got inspired, purchased a similar product to the Audiovox sensor he used, and installed it this afternoon. :)

DIY: E46 Shock Sensor Install

This is a great, easy, and affordable addition to the OEM alarm and adds the level of security you'd expect but never got with the factory hardware. :rolleyes:

happy modding! :D
-loki

#6 ·
Ummm...someone go do a Hit and Run test on Loki's car to see if the thing works. :D J/K

From the pictures, doesn't seem too difficult. Now where can we get a hold of this sensor? Radio Shack?

#10 ·
vinny heres the break down

the shock sensor gets power from the cars electrical system.. then triggers the hood pin switch when the car is bumper or tampered with .. so the alarm is in turn set of by the hood pin switch.... loki write up is great.. not sure if he used the diodes on the install ..but the paperwork for the 504 from what i remember suggest diode use so the shock sensor does not back feed from the pin switch the the sensor but vise versa.. but i dont think its necessary but dfiently a plus.. i also had all power and wires inside the car.. nothing was seen under the hood but all was hidden behind the glove box.. loki defiantly has the easier install there but i guess my mentality of clean and simple is just because of the work i do.. and how i do this daily.. i try to keep to out of sight out of mind :D either way will work fine :thumbup:

#11 ·
Re: vinny heres the break down

JACOB NJ said:
the shock sensor gets power from the cars electrical system.. then triggers the hood pin switch when the car is bumper or tampered with .. so the alarm is in turn set of by the hood pin switch.... loki write up is great.. not sure if he used the diodes on the install ..but the paperwork for the 504 from what i remember suggest diode use so the shock sensor does not back feed from the pin switch the the sensor but vise versa.. but i dont think its necessary but dfiently a plus.. i also had all power and wires inside the car.. nothing was seen under the hood but all was hidden behind the glove box.. loki defiantly has the easier install there but i guess my mentality of clean and simple is just because of the work i do.. and how i do this daily.. i try to keep to out of sight out of mind :D either way will work fine :thumbup:
OHHHHH...that's makes sense now...thanks for the explanation!

#13 ·
thanks,

Just a thought.

my previous shock sensor is mounted on a clip like sheet metal so is not rigid against the body of the car.

I wonder if that will just make it more sensetive, or the new shock sensor is better.

I'm going to get his done this week.

#17 ·
I choose the green (more sensitive) wire. With the stock sensitivity setting it seems fine. Will go off with sudden impacts (like a kick to any tire) but not general rocking.

If you desire it even more sensitive, you can adjust by a screw on the DEI sensor or mount it to a part more susceptible to shock.

BTW, the hood pin switch should aleady be there, the factory alarm kit only includes the horn, motion sensor and tilt sensor.

good luck!
-loki

#21 ·
Tilt sensor splicing?????

thats a sweet idea! i've got a shock sensor laying around from a previous car. Ive got a question though, anyone know the wiring for the tilt sensor in the trunk? could you splice in the shock sensor to the tilt sensor the same way the DIY explains? my reasoning for this is that i want to mount the shock sensor to flat sheet metal for the best sensitivity and i want it mounted out of veiw for a clean install. anyone.... anyone......

#22 ·
for anybody interested, i was able to get the shock sensor to work in the trunk spliced into the tilt sensor. if you look at the plug that goes into the tilt sensor, the black wire with the blue stripe is the trigger wire and it is also wire #1 of the plug . wire #3 is red with a black stripe, this is the +power for the sensor. wire #5 is black with a red stripe, this is the ground wire. power is only provided to the tilt sensor when all doors and trunk are closed and the alarm is armed. it was a bit tricky to calibrate the sensitivity of the shock sensor with the power hooked up this way, so i just hooked the power for the shock sensor up directly to the battery, with a fuse of course. either way you do it will work. good luck:D

#23 ·
HI, Is the purple wire on the hood pin switch positive or negative trigger? I had added the blue wire from the shock sensor to the purple wire of the hood switch and it dont work. I didnt get the DEI shock sensor because the store didnt have it. I figure any would work but Im having problem. My blue wire is a negative trigger. Is the DEI blue wire a negative trigger also? If so then mine should work but dont. I did notice that when the hood switch is in the up position and I tap my shock sensor, the light is on but if I had the hood switch down and I tap the shock it dont light. I think that is my problem. Can someone help me out?

#25 ·
Got the DEI sensor at Good Guys

$19.95 - last one on stock in the Walnut Creek, CA store.
It was the DEI specific version - the 509D.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.