E46 Fanatics Forum banner

3M Tape on interior trim

7K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  Keem 
#1 ·
So, I was looking at the thread about 3M tape being used on the exterior trim and thought why not on the interior? Has anyone done this? I am sick of the wood trim and want something more modern. Is the vinyl pretty thick or is it paper thin? Would it hold up to a little wear and tear?

I might buy the #120 Satin Aluminum and give it a try. Would save me around 350 bucks. Website: http://www.beacongraphics.com/3m-7125-15.html

Any input?

#3 ·
I know what most people do, but IMO a home done spray paint job does not look the best. I'm thinking the vinyl would not have the depth that I would like. If I did it though, I could use the tape to wrap the front and rear reflectors and save another 100 dollars...

#7 ·
Milli330ci said:
Wow, Kilronan that looks awesome. Can you give me the exact model number you chose? Also do you think it is a close match to the exterior paint, enough to use it on the reflectors without being noticeable?
That does look pretty clean :yikes:

And yeah, where did you get the "metalic" tape?

I wonder if they have Black metalic :hmm:

#14 ·
Milli330ci said:
Wow, Kilronan that looks awesome. Can you give me the exact model number you chose? Also do you think it is a close match to the exterior paint, enough to use it on the reflectors without being noticeable?
Thanks! The tape I used is from AveryGraphics. The picture below shows the back side of the sheet. I'm not sure to which an extent it will match the exterior paint of a silver metallic car. But it should be close.

Speeder said:
And yeah, where did you get the "metalic" tape?
I got it from a local company in Norway which makes signs and decorates cars. Any such company should have something similar.

2000_328CI said:
soooo hot :bow:
Thanks! I agree, it looks so much better than I even expected. Probably the cheapest mod I've ever done to the car. But it makes such an impact on the appearance of the interior.

Milli330ci said:
Did you wrap your armrests Kilronan?
No, I didn't.

#17 ·
fmzip said:
Wow is Right!!! That looks mint!
It sure does. What did you use to clean the old trim for the new stuff to adhere best?

#21 · (Edited)
fmzip said:
I just ordered the 7725-120 3m from vinydirect.com to take car of that ugly wood trim in my 530!
ZMZIP, when you get the film you ordered can you let me know what you think of the color match to your Titanium Silber body color.

Also, I presume you had to buy 15"x30' size. You'll have lots left over after you've done your trim - maybe I can buy some from you if you think the body color match is good.

Did you consider the 7725-120 over the 180C-120?

3M 180C can also be had in a metallic light silver.

Thanks.

#22 ·
yukondiver said:
ZMZIP, when you get the film you ordered can you let me know what you think of the color match to your Titanium Silber body color.

Also, I presume you had to buy 15"x30' size. You'll have lots left over after you've done your trim - maybe I can buy some from you if you think the body color match is good.

Did you consider the 7725-120 over the 180C-120?

3M 180C can also be had in a metallic light silver.

Thanks.
From what I read, the #120 Satin Aluminum is a very close match to the titanium silver paint. I bought a roll that I will be using on the trim and possibly on the front and rear reflectors. I will post up pictures once I get it all done.

#23 ·
Milli330ci said:
From what I read, the #120 Satin Aluminum is a very close match to the titanium silver paint. I bought a roll that I will be using on the trim and possibly on the front and rear reflectors. I will post up pictures once I get it all done.
I later read that the #120 was reported to be a good match too.
I look forward to your photos and opinion.

#24 ·
yukondiver said:
I later read that the #120 was reported to be a good match too.
I look forward to your photos and opinion.
I will post up pictures and maybe a quick DIY guide. The vinyl still hasnt been shipped out yet though :cry:. I checked out the armrests and they will be kind of tough. I assume the wood trim on top is glued to the plastic base. The only way to cover it will be to tuck the edge of vinyl into the crevice between the trim and plastic base. Sounds like it will be tough to make it look right...

#25 ·
Milli330ci said:
I will post up pictures and maybe a quick DIY guide. The vinyl still hasnt been shipped out yet though :cry:. I checked out the armrests and they will be kind of tough. I assume the wood trim on top is glued to the plastic base. The only way to cover it will be to tuck the edge of vinyl into the crevice between the trim and plastic base. Sounds like it will be tough to make it look right...
I just found a local supply shop for the 7725-120. Cost for 24" wide is $2.69/foot. To do the body side moulding I'm guessing I'll need no more than 5 feet (I'll be measuring to be sure). I'll be leaving my interior trim alone, as it's already 'carbon fiber' (ZHP). I'll pick it up 7725-120 today or tomorrrow if I like the color match, then apply it to the moulding this weekend.

I hope you get your order soon and good luck on your install.

#26 ·
yukondiver said:
I just found a local supply shop for the 7725-120. Cost for 24" wide is $2.69/foot. To do the body side moulding I'm guessing I'll need no more than 5 feet (I'll be measuring to be sure). I'll be leaving my interior trim alone, as it's already 'carbon fiber' (ZHP). I'll pick it up 7725-120 today or tomorrrow if I like the color match, then apply it to the moulding this weekend.

I hope you get your order soon and good luck on your install.
Very nice, post up some pics and tell us how it matches up when you get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.