E46 Fanatics Forum banner

buying a used HPF M3

330K views 2K replies 112 participants last post by  Sylvan Lake V35 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought i would share my experience with buying a used HPF e46 m3 stage 2.5

Well 1st i never saw the car other than pics. Scary

I got a lawyer to be the middle man

I had the car shipped to HPF at my expense to be inspected. Im very happy with that decision.

I received the car last week. Wow this thing is fast. Ive driven LMP V8 Prototypes and this is as powerful.

#375 ·
Auto part Gas Machine

New / used vanos value body arrived and all cleaned up inside and out with break cleaner. Really
Appreciative for the man who have this to me to help out. It saved about 800 bucks. Hopefully this wil work but if not it will have eliminated one more suspect.

Attachments

#377 ·
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

Removed passenger side fan shroud. Put red cloths underneath vanos unit to catch oil dripping while removing. No need to remove clutch fan. It's tight but can be removed and installed with it on.

#383 · (Edited)
Electronics Audio equipment Technology Bumper Electronic device

All assembled with vanos plate sitting on top. Now put back reversed way of torquing the five 5mm bolts to 10Nm in multiple steps. The thin plate can be slipped on once u get the main value body as selinoid is repositioned underneath top vanos unit.

Start up after plugging in vanos cable. Check for leaks. Reset codes

#384 · (Edited)
Ok started it up. The afr was 12 to 13 right away. Before the change the afr started at 14.7 and worked its way down to 11s. The car had way more power from 2 to 4 grad rpm. It was a whole new car. Way more power uptop as well and noticiby revved much faster.
Before the value body change it was like it didn't want to rev high yet pulled hard Tells me the cams r now working properly or at least better than they were. The afr at high boost is still 10.5 or 10.9. Which is still troubleing. I'm glad I'm on the right track.

#392 · (Edited)
I'm running 20 inches of vacume and 22 to 24 when hot. I'm don't think I have a bost
Leak. My erratic idle is what's got me Concerned. I'm also seeing high idle rpm above 1100 and takes a while for it to settle down even when it's warm or hot. ???

#389 · (Edited)
New development. I was refilling the meth tank and ran the test / purge jumper. The car now runs afr at idle 10.5 jumps around to 12s. Messed with the jumper box and harness going into the dme and seems to make some difference when it went in the high tens again. I even seen it at 10 as well So I think I have some cable issues as well somthing else. Man this can be disheartening :(

#395 ·
I let the car sit and I resorted the wiring harness and put the top back on loosely. Afr back to 12 at idle. :)

I ll have to drive a bit to see how it holds up. It could also be the used vanos valve body being flaky.

#405 · (Edited)
Hpf Has been helping me a lot. I have no issues with them at all. I'm glad for their support and the support i have received from this forum and a lot of caring people r going above and beyond to help me out. Yes I'm frustrated with this problem but it's a car that's hard to diagnose because u cant use factory codes. it will be sorted out. The car has had a lot of improvements since I have bought it and just have this snags to deal with. Apparently the bat harness is almost ready to ship so
My logs can be diagnosed at Hpf. :)

#411 · (Edited)
My apologies if this has been asked/mentioned but I didn't see it while searching the thread.

Have you done a compression test.. the symptoms you're experiencing sound very similar to a oil contaminated cylinder. Are all your plugs equally fouling? When my car was getting blow by my afr's would be doing exactly what you're describing.. oil was getting past the rings and mucking it up..

EDIT: I searched compression, but I see now you've had a leakdown done. So disregard.

#416 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntgP8Vp3tFg

Here is a video of cold start. The car has sat all night.

The u can hear the vanos oil pressure come up and see the afr go from 10.0 climb to 11s. U can also hear a high pitched squeal. I believe that's vanos pressure. I have heard this sound and for example and seen the afr from 14.7 drop very quickly to 11.5 when warm. Anyone expierence that sound before. ?

#423 ·
Been driving the car putting some miles on it. I changed the oil and filter along with the ultrasonic cleaning of the vanos valve body and regulator.

The afr at idle is in the high 11 and mid 12s and I see 13s at times as well at idle. Car runs well and the odd time I see mid 10s but climbs up to 11.5 or more.

This is the best I have seen.

High boost is 10.00

This post has been deleted
#424 ·
Battery harness , crank sensor and intake cam sensor will be here this week. I'll install them try it then send my logs down to Hpf. From there I'll see where things r at. I'll also check the vanos oil pump tabs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.