E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Fuel Filter Change

189K views 186 replies 131 participants last post by  tritron 
#1 ·
#28 ·
If you have the older fuel filter WITHOUT the pressure regulator, it's even easier. I'dd add this to the DIY:

• Leave the clamps attached to the fuel filter. Unscrew the ones on the outside edge of the hose.
  • Pry the hose off SLOWLY! Create a bit of gap to release the pressure (get ready for some gas spraying - not fun).
  • Take off fuel filter with both hoses still attached.
  • Measure, cut, and attach the new hoses to the new filter.
  • Slide the clamps in (2 per side).
  • Attach the fuel filter and hose back on the fuel lines with some twisting and turning.

Tips:
  • Get 4 clamps and 1-2 feet of new hose.
  • Tighten all the clamps at the end, because you want the bolt head facing down for tightening.
  • Gasoline burns the skin and face. I learned the hard way. :cry:

#36 ·
It's not really necessary. I'm a little more "shade tree" than most. When I change the fuel filter I do two things.

1) Assure the fuel pump is off. Key off or pull the battery depending on vehicle... but make DAMN sure it's off.

2) Work quickly. :lol: I usually don't lose THAT much fuel.

I don't recommend my methods to others. I've been wrenching on a lot of different cars for a long time now.

-Duck

#37 ·
Feedback

I just did the fuel filter swap using this DIY. Here's some tips:

- You might as well remove the last two screws on the pan. They are easily accessible and easy to remove

- The feul spillage is really minimal. This is one reason I was so careful about taking off the tubes from filter. There isn't much, mainly the feul left in the filter.

- removing the tubes is easier than it seems. I was being a wuss because I expected to be splashed with fuel galore. Don't be a wuss. Just use some pliers and use the filter as a pivot.

This is a really easy thing to do. Thanks for the DIY.:thumbsup:

#38 ·
I too did this following the DIY this past weekend except I did it on a 1999 328i. The first thing I noticed is my fuel filter is different than the 2001 330i pictured. The fuse was the same fuse, and everything else was the same except I only had one inlet hose and one outlet hose making things quite a bit easier.

A very easy job, took no time at all but did require a shower to get the gasoline smell out of my hands and out of my watch. Next time I do this I'll be sure to remove my wedding ring and wrist watch :)

#39 ·
Thanks to all on this thread! I just changed the fuel filter on my wife's 2001 325i, and the info in this thread really helped. I can't believe how incomplete the Bentley instructions are for this task.

One follow-up question: Have any of you had to replace the small section of vacuum tube that connects to the fuel filter and been able to get it from BMW? On RealOEM, it shows as discontinued. Of course mine tore at the bend as soon as I touched it, and I don't think my electrical tape repair will last forever.

Thanks, Cory

#42 ·
i did my fuel filter the other day one of the easiest DIY everything seems to work properly no leaks or anything.. but i was wondering if u have to reset something... cus now my car will will read like 200 miles to empty then ill read 201 202 203 etc then go down like 200 199 then up its so weird... its never done that.. and i was wondring if i had to reset something?? on the cars computer or w.e

#44 ·
It's normal. When you put in a new filter you generally get an increase in mileage, so as your going along the number increases because the computer is relearning/increasing its MPG.

Now, when it goes back down, you're probably driving harder or even just passing someone. When you disconnected the battery for the fuel pump, you dumped the computers memory, so it only has a couple of days of records of your MPG. When you drive for a month or two it stays much more stable, but with a limited sample size, it fluctuates more often.

#46 ·
hey.. awesome DIY. i have a 2003 325xi.. i bought it in april 2003. im looking at replacement fuel filters at autoparts warehouse.com.. and they have a FRAM $35, Kayser $72, Mahle $63.. which one do i need to get? does my car have the integrated pressure regulator on the fuel pump?

#48 ·
Go to https://www.autohausaz.com

They are a reliable and reputable online parts dealer with free shipping on orders over $50. I saved a ton of money buying my parts from there this summer, including my fuel filter DIY.

Enter your car's information on the site and it will give you a list of the specific car parts that fits your specific car.

As a reference, I have a 330ci and the site showed that I would need a Mahle fuel filter.. and right now it's selling for $46. Cheaper than the $63 you quoted, plus you can get free shipping if you just order something else to bring it over $50.. maybe an extra oil filter for your next oil change.

#47 ·
Question, I changed mine yesterday (the 328 one, so with just one line on each side). I replaced the hoses with some generic fuel hose I had lying around, roughly the same size. All went well as far as I can tell, and no leaks after I was done, but I did notice a distinct petrol smell I got out of the car this morning after a long drive.

I'm not anywhere near my garage this week so I can't check it out now. However I don't see any visible leaks. Could it be that I haven't tightened the hose clamps enough? I'm always a bit gentle with hose clamps on rubber hoses as not to rip anything up; should I tighten them further?

#49 ·
I would double check those little metal clamps that are used to hold the hoses down to the filter. Maybe they are worn and are coming loose. Or maybe while changing the fuel filter you got some fuel on an exhaust pipe or something.. which may be causing the smell as the pipe burns the fuel residue when it gets hot.

#52 ·
I bought replacement "fuel line" from the local Advanced Auto (Pep Boy, Trak Auto, insert your local generic parts store here) once as an emergency repair. The thing split on the first drive. Upon closer inspection, their "fuel line" may as well be interchangeable with their vacuum lines. Lesson learned!

As you said, buy OEM, or find a place with real high-pressure hoses!

#54 ·
SexyDev and I changed out his filter, there was a lot of gas in the lines and i mean a lot

#57 ·
I Replaced my fuel filter this weekend and would like to add the following:
1) removed the filter from the hose in the front first. This would minimize fuel spray.
2) For the gear hoses, it is so much easier to remove the two hoses (with the filter) from the fuel lines instead of removing the filter from the hoses.

#58 ·
The best way is to buy a grounding wrist strap for around $5 from radio shack/the source. This will always be useful, as many BMW sensors and electronic boards can be affected by electrostatic energy. Just wrap it around your wrist and clip it on to something metal and unpainted on the car. If you wear rubber gloves, depending on the thickness, you are isulating yourself from the car's electical system, so it is ok, as long as you are not making contact with the car's electical system elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.