E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Any interest in a 100% Android Head Unit?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Crazy Talk 
#1 ·
As far as i can tell looking at videos, reading reviews and whatnot the Enco B046/B146 is a mess, and the Dynavin based models feel 'disjointed' to some because of the dual OS nature of things. So i started poking around and putting together some ideas for an Android powered head unit that could handle FM radio, Wifi, BT, etc without problems.

possible spec sheet.

7" 1024X600 resistive touch screen.
OMAP 4460 1.2Ghz Dual Core processor (same as Galaxy Nexus)
1GB Ram
AM/FM/HD radio.
BT A2DP
Wifi
GPS
Android 4.1.1 JellyBean.
Hands Free calling
Expandable storage
Volume Knob.

Problems/things you lose
Steering wheel controls (still researching)
CD drive
Backup camera (still researching, but all immediate options are expensive (150+)
iPod/iPhone support (unless connected through A2DP)

Everything would operate through the Android Interface, no dual OS hackery.

anticipated cost would be somewhere around 1,000 dollars. each one would be hand made in the USA by me, if that matters to you.

all of this is just preliminary, but i was curious to see if the BMW world would be interested in it.

BTW, the option exists to bump up to a Exynos 4412 1.4Ghz quad core processor with capacitive screen, but adds another 300 dollars to the cost, so that idea was dropped, unless you all have deeper pockets than i anticipated?

See less See more
#4 ·
The Exynos 4412 Processor is an option, and it's faster than the Tegra 3. But it's expensive.

same thing with a capacitive screen, an option, but expensive. and resistive tech seemed like a better choice for those in cold climates so you can leave gloves on and whatnot.

IBUS communication would be a challenge, do you know of any documentation for it that i can take a look at?

For the price and all the disadvantages (no wheel contro, no iPod, etc) is not worth the price. A tablet or smartphone can do all that..

Don't get me wrong, It's a great idea, but I just don't see the needs for a unit like that.
Wheel control is solvable, i just don't know what kind of protocol it uses for communication. have any documentation for how it communicates or a box that can convert it to a more aftermarket friendly format?

iPod control is extremely unlikely. Getting an Android based system to communicate properly with IOS would be a huge hurdle to overcome. And i already have enough huge problems to overcome (BT Sink, Hands free calling, a FM radio solution strong enough for use in a car, etc)

#3 ·
For the price and all the disadvantages (no wheel contro, no iPod, etc) is not worth the price. A tablet or smartphone can do all that..

Don't get me wrong, It's a great idea, but I just don't see the needs for a unit like that.

#5 ·
Lol I can get the same functions in a google Nexus 7 Tablet for $199 instead of your 1K price tag....

#7 ·
I have a Nexus 7, why didn't I, or anyone else who has a Dynavin or Enco system think of that!? might be for a handful of reasons..

1) you don't have a way to integrate FM radio into it, much less an automotive grade FM receiver.
2) It doesn't support BT Sink (A2DP and BT calling)
3) USB/expandable storage. only one way to get info in and out of the device.
4) External additions, such as a powerful GPS antenna.
5) How do you plan on powering the cars speakers? only way to get audio out of the device is through the headphone jack, which only does stereo sound.
6) what do you do about temp? cabin temps in my area (Phoenix, AZ) can eclipse 150 degrees during the summer in short order. and i know from personal experience pretty much any tablet you have (accidentally tested with Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 7, LG G slate, Asus Transformer series, Kindle Fire) that they'll experience thermal shutdown long before cabin temps hit 150 degrees.

And probably a handful of issues escaping me right now. The point is if it was as easy as just grabbing a random 7" tablet off the shelf, shove it in and expect it to function as a complete stereo replacement i would be presenting that as an option right now. but i've already searched high and low for a tablet i can either disassemble and use for parts for this project or use as is, and i haven't found anything. if you have something though, let me know.

Here's a project to help you with wheel buttons - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25101888.
AWESOME! I'm primarily a Mechanical Engineer, but i'll see what if i can put him in touch with my Electrical and Software guy to see if something better can be built for this, and other Android based systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.