E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone from St. Louis?

379K views 3K replies 108 participants last post by  Feffman 
#1 ·
?:hi:

#2,458 ·
Hi guys,

I'll be going to school at St. Louis University fall of 2012 so I'd like to introduce myself. I'll be bringing my car down and hope to do some SCCA autocrosses as I've heard they have a pretty good venue. I'm also a member of BMWCCA so if they have any events, I may also show up.

#2,459 · (Edited)
SLU Alumni here :hi:

If you have any questions about going to school there, let me know! I graduated in '06, so I'm still fairly familiar with a lot of it.

#2,463 ·
Very cool guys! Nice to know of people familiar with SLU. Everybody in NJ thinks Wash U. when I say I'm going to St. Louis for school. Picked SLU because of their med scholars program and the fact that St. Louis was much better than Philly in my opinion.

You guys know of any good independent mechanics in the area? I don't think I'll be brining a toolbox so I'll be needing some help working on my car.
Also, anybody doing autocrosses there as a regular that can show me around? I will be doing a Tire Rack Street Survival once I get there as I'll probably need it with my new car.

#2,468 ·
Bimmers-R-Us is going to be the closest independent....they're located on Kingshighway (south of highway 44). They did good work on my 323ci.

I was going for premed at SLU. Awesome program, pretty cool school, just keep in mind where you are. The surrounding neighborhood is a bit ghetto. I had a friend going there that talked about a lot of gunfire off campus, though I cannot confirm the validity of that statement.
The surrounding neighborhood has gotten muchhhhh better since I was living there in 2006. The area behind the fox now has restaurants, a motorcycle dealer, hotels, condos/apartments and bars. Of course, one has to be smart when stammering around drunk at 2am in any city.

#2,464 ·
There's an BMW mechanic (forgot the name) just down the road from Suntrup BMW in Stl. Awesome guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Then... there's this guy named Jay over in Dardenne Prairie. He also knows a shit ton.. But he's kinda crazy. :D

I also go up to STL often and hang out with the BMW crowd on here.. I always have my toolbox and some parts in the trunk. (Insert frankenstein car joke from Nick here)

I know of get-togethers that occur at a Sonic on Thursday's... Never been though. Ben can probably point you in the correct direction on that.

Welcome to STL man!

#2,466 ·
There's an BMW mechanic (forgot the name) just down the road from Suntrup BMW in Stl. Awesome guy, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Then... there's this guy named Jay over in Dardenne Prairie. He also knows a **** ton.. But he's kinda crazy. :D

I also go up to STL often and hang out with the BMW crowd on here.. I always have my toolbox and some parts in the trunk. (SILVER DOOR HANDLES!!)

I know of get-togethers that occur at a Sonic on Thursday's... Never been though. Ben can probably point you in the correct direction on that.

Welcome to STL man!
Oh, dear... you're bringing up Jay? Shouldn't you at least warn the guy before you have him meeting Jay??? Nah, kidding he is a cool guy, knows his **** for sure.

Very cool guys! Nice to know of people familiar with SLU. Everybody in NJ thinks Wash U. when I say I'm going to St. Louis for school. Picked SLU because of their med scholars program and the fact that St. Louis was much better than Philly in my opinion.

You guys know of any good independent mechanics in the area? I don't think I'll be brining a toolbox so I'll be needing some help working on my car.
Also, anybody doing autocrosses there as a regular that can show me around? I will be doing a Tire Rack Street Survival once I get there as I'll probably need it with my new car.
I was going for premed at SLU. Awesome program, pretty cool school, just keep in mind where you are. The surrounding neighborhood is a bit ghetto. I had a friend going there that talked about a lot of gunfire off campus, though I cannot confirm the validity of that statement.

I beat my poor car up enough that tracking it would be the end of her. I don't really know anyone doing autocross.

So... now that I've got my car here, when's the next meet up? :)
Define meet up :eeps: haha, jk. Nah RK, XI, Ben, and I usually get together sometimes. I havent been out in a while, been busy staying in trouble. Maybe we can get something together soon?

#2,465 ·
So... now that I've got my car here, when's the next meet up? :)

#2,479 ·
SLU is a great school. I had the pleasure of spending a few years there and loved it dearly. You'll enjoy it very much.

Green 1999 328i? Blown engine? Bimmers took it because the guy couldn't afford to fix the engine? Ha I know that car, it belonged to an old buddy of mine. I used to drive that car all the time back in it's prime. I was wondering who ended up with it.

#2,480 ·
Green 1999 328i? Blown engine? Bimmers took it because the guy couldn't afford to fix the engine? Ha I know that car, it belonged to an old buddy of mine. I used to drive that car all the time back in it's prime. I was wondering who ended up with it.
Yep, '99 328i. Overheated and locked up.

But... I'm the second owner.. Legally. Lol. Girl named Lucy Cook, Georgia title.. Georgia window stickers.

I would like a bit more history though!! Got a 91 on the carfax, not bad for a car that ended up for parts.

Attachments

#2,472 ·
Anything going on this weekend or sometime soon? Carbondale is boring as **** - I'm going nuts here. Willing to drive up to 5hrs for any Bimmer/car events on the weekends.

#2,474 · (Edited)
So, I got pretty freaked out the other day. I was driving home from work & noticed my knocking sound was a little worse and audible while driving in gear. Was definitely going with the engine rev & very prominent when I got home & let it idle. Thought it meant the worst.

I checked my oil the next day when I came out, level was fine. I added the less than 1/2 quart I had sitting there & went about normal driving. Since then it has gone back to doing what it was before. Occasional sloppy knock sort of sound at idle and goes away with some RPMs.

So, I am back to thinking it's just a pulley goin bad, but waiting to try to find out if & which one before I order parts for a coolant system overhaul (well mostly).

On a brighter note, window is still working fine & I ran new grounds for the taillights today. :)

#2,481 ·
Well.......

Got the clutch & flywheel done over the weekend. Ran into some major road blocks but about 16 hours of wrench time and some creative problem solving and everything is back together and running.

A happy ending?.....Not so much. Now the starter is not seated right or something. Making a horrible grinding noise on start up. Starts just fine but the noise is like it would do if the key is turned while running. Fuuuuuck! Those bolts are a PITA to get to. Not sure what to do now but hope it holds up ok till I can get back in there.

The clutch & flywheel themselves feel great though. I've never had the new clutch feel with this car so it's gonna take some getting used to.

#2,493 ·
So, there I was, minding my own business traveling south down 270 in the lane next to the fast lane, when I notice a nice Mercedes coming up in my rear view. Now, I am practicing hyper mile'ing, cuz as you can see, my gas mileage sucks. I think to myself, "That's a nice Mercedes, he will probably pass me, so I'll hold off on passing the car in front of me, allowing him to pass." So I wait.... Merc gets closer... I wait... No lane change... Instead, the Merc gets right on my ass. I mean, right.on.my.ass. No longer can see headlights. Oh, now the hood is almost gone.... surely he will pass me. NOPE. Instead, he just hangs out there, riding my ass. Naturally, this annoys me, but I let it go. A mile passes... Fine, ride my ass? Pfft, drop it a few gears and accelerate away. I hop in the fast lane and pass the car in front of me. Merc follows right behind me. Alright, accelerate to 85 and get back over. Sure enough, he finally passes me... SLK 55 AMG... LIKE I STOOD A CHANCE! I slowed to 60 in silent defeat...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.