E46 Fanatics Forum banner

I think I found my XI replacement

9K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  TiAgXi 
#1 ·
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_2831.shtml

For a long time, there hasn't been anything on the market that would replace my enthusiasm for my e46 XI. It's the smoothest, nicest looking awd sports sedan on the market for me.

But now, with the introduction of an R with a 6 speed manual, that has changed.

The XI will be driven another two to four years, then it's being swapped out for a vw.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Aesthetically I dont see the attraction really. But to each thier own. Its not my car. Whatever works for you, I say. :thumbsup:

Looks wise--It reminds me of the car we came from to the XI. A fun car in its own right and maybe a little faster as well but doesnt hold a candle in the handling/ride/Looks dept.

Mazda Protege 5--

Zoom Zoom

#4 ·
I'm really anxious to see the 4-door R!! I LUV the mkIV R's... I'm a huge fan of the VR6... just sounds so mean. However, I have never liked the mkV styling. I thought about picking up an R32, but opt'd for the xi for several reasons... primarily 4 doors (I have kids), comfort, and reliability. I hope the new 4-door R's don't dissapoint!

That said, I really wanted a new 'rocco, but they didn't come state side. Now they're bringing back the Coupe Quattro!!!! I hope it finds its way over to this side of the pond!

#9 · (Edited)
No love for the dub, huh? That's surprising. An r32 wipes the floor with an e46 on the track. The new one is even better and has 4 doors and a manual. It's more practical than an e46 and the awd system is superior. Parts are cheaper and, because it's a turbo, it'll be much easier to tune.

Top gear approves:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7029323246748013021#

r32 beats 135i in side by side comparison. even beats it on the track. so all this mumbo jumbo about an e46 handling better is a joke.

Yeah. I wouldn't be interested in the new one if it didn't have 4 doors.

#5 ·
VW R is a sick car... and I dont doubt their AWD system is not only superior but can also put out more power to that of an e46.

#8 ·
^ But its got LEDs in the bumper!!! (sarcasm)

#21 ·
I worry about that too. Maybe not a good idea to replace one small car with another one. But I can't see myself driving a big car all the time.

Sorry to hear about your accident btw. Sounds like it was pretty bad. What happened (if you don't mind talking bout it)?

#25 ·
^well put! id take the vdub over the a3 any day.. its less expensive, awd, and practically the same car.

#30 ·
I'm already seriously considering this for my next car whenever that'll be. I love VW's, and an AWD turbo german hatchback would be sweet :drool:

Either this, a MKII Audi TT, a used 135i, or facelift E90 will be other possible replacements.

#37 ·
Cuz it's badass, dumbshit.

Had a 98 VW jetta vr6 before my 2003 325xi. I loved that car until rotted out. It was a blast to drive. I can't imagine what am r32 would be like. My BMW is superior in almost ever way except the VW got better gas mileage, and was quicker and more nimble if not faster. But a 6 hour drive was an ordeal. It handled great thou id give the win to the 4wd bimmer in that category. For me the bimmer is a different type of car that drives great and is a dream on the highway. As for repair costs well the vr6 stuff was outrageously costly and the BMW parts believe it or not are cheaper on many of the comparable VW parts.
Really? I've always thought the opposite. The cost of BMW parts is one of the things I like least about the car.

#36 ·
Had a 98 VW jetta vr6 before my 2003 325xi. I loved that car until rotted out. It was a blast to drive. I can't imagine what am r32 would be like. My BMW is superior in almost ever way except the VW got better gas mileage, and was quicker and more nimble if not faster. But a 6 hour drive was an ordeal. It handled great thou id give the win to the 4wd bimmer in that category. For me the bimmer is a different type of car that drives great and is a dream on the highway. As for repair costs well the vr6 stuff was outrageously costly and the BMW parts believe it or not are cheaper on many of the comparable VW parts.

#44 ·
The Golf R is nothing more than an improved S3 in a Golf's clothing and with a VW's price.

It get's 33 COMBINED mpg. SO it is an economy car.

But at the same time it does 0-60 around 5.5 seconds (unchipped).

Also, it's weight distribution is the same as an Automatic e46 XI (53/47). That's a recipe for great handling.

It's not for everyone. If you need the appearance of something fancy, a VW will never cut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.