E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Suspension overhaul advice

18K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Avet4 
#1 ·
I have a 02 325i Non-sport with 137k miles all original suspension parts. It is my daily driver with occasional autox track use – approx. once – twice/ month. I am planning to overhaul suspension first. Next will be the ESS Stage 2 twinscrew supercharger and larger brakes. I would like the suspension to be able to handle the added power/torque without sacrificing too much comfort on a daily basis. 17x8 wheels w/Dunlop Z1 star spec 225/45/17 on daily. 17x8 lightweight wheels w/hoosier R6 for track days. Any advice, opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Here is what I am thinking of changing so far:

Steering knuckle (guibo)
TurnerMS reinforcement package (front subframe, front strut towers, rear shock towers, rear camber arms, rear sway bar and rear subframe)

Front control arm kit – meyle HD
Front sway bar link – meyle HD
Tie rod assembly –lemforder
Tie rod boot kit
Front strut mount –meyle
Front strut bar - ECS CF
Front wheel bearing assembly
Lower spring pad

RTAB limiter kit – meyle HD
Rear subframe bushing refresh kit – ECS
Rear differential bushing
Rear shock mounts
Rear wheel bearings
Spring pads

Koni FSD/ Eibach kit
H&R sway bar front and rear

I would rather buy everything I need to do it right the first time and install all at once.

See less See more
#5 ·
Take your suspension rebuild to the next level. The front suspension on the BMW is prone to failure. After time, the front of your vehicle can clunk, make grinding noises, or wander around when going down the highway. The ECS Tuning Stage 2 front suspension rebuild kit has everything that you need to get your vehicle handling like it should. Includes all parts that commonly fail in one convenient package.

Check out our level II suspension rebuild kit. This kit has been specifically assembled to include the 2nd stage of common wear items on your E46 BMW. Not only does this E46 suspension rebuild kit replace those common wear items we upgrade your units with Meyle upgraded all metal ball joints & Meyle upgraded suspension bushings. Change the way your E46 feels & even upgrade further than parts available from your BMW dealer. These control arms feature replaceable ball joints.

This E46 suspension rebuild kit includes the following:
* Meyle all metal ball joint control arms (left & right)
* Meyle upgraded control arm bushings
* Meyle related hardware
* Sway bar link
* Left tie rod assembly
* Right tie rod assembly

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

#8 ·
This brings up an interesting question that's crossed my mind before regarding some of the Meyle (and other) suspension parts. You mention the "all metal" ball joints. Would this impact the ability to compete in Stock or Touring classes, which usually always specify that the rubber/metal ratio of suspension joints and linkage needs to remain the same as stock - or at least not all metal?

#6 ·
I had thought about coilovers and was looking at the bilstein and the Tein w/EDFC for convinience. I'll keep searching the forums for reviews, my overall goal is for the car to handle better than a ZHP with similar ride comfort (not sure if that will be possible).

PS last track/DD I built wife refused to ride in it.

I've had good experience with ECS tunning so far however I have read mixed reviews on meyle parts.

I have been thinking about camber plates and still on the fence...Ill figure that out once I make a final decision btwn coilover or shock/spring.

#9 ·
Don't mean to threadjack but I too am doing a suspension overhaul and wanted to gauge you guys' thoughts on whether or not I'm missing anything.

I have a 2004 330 with 82k miles on it with what I assume is the stock sport suspension. I'm the second owner.

So far I've replaced:

transmission mounts to M3
Meyle HD control arms and bushings from ECS.

I want to do everything else needed to give me a factory smooth ride. I spend this weekend ordering what I thought was necessary from ECS, Turner, and a few members.

I'll be getting:

4- new ZHP shocks/struts along with the mounts that go on top of each.

4- ZHP springs with 35k miles on them from a forum member

2- M3 Motor Mount bushings

1 - Steering coupler/guibo

TMS Sways with new links front and rear

2 Turner RMS

Upper and lower spring pads for front and rear. Eight in Total.

Left and Right tie-rod assemblies.

I did NOT get front shock mounts because on the Turner site it states not they don't typically fail. Was that a mistake?

Would you guys say I'm missing anything?

I will do the rear subframe bushings on a later date, same with the diff bushing.

Is skipping the Rtabs a big mistake?

Am I missing anything else on the front end of the car? Upper Control arms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.