Dyno type
Peak numbers
Graph

I'll go first

Name: Iceman00
Car/Engine: E36/7 M52tuB25
Mods: Custom tube type CAI
Peak numbers: 185whp/19Xwtq
Dyno type: more than likely a bullshit dyno.

Name: Iceman00
Car/Engine: E36/7 M52tuB25
Mods: Custom tube type CAI, thermal wrapped Ebay headers
Peak numbers: 210whp/217wtq
Dyno type: more than likely a bullshit dyno.

Name:95blkmax
Car/Engine: E46 M52tuB28
Mods: Short ram intake, Thermal wrapped headers, Resonator removal
Peak numbers: 180whp/189wtq
Dyno type: Dynojet

(dyno is vs stock headers)

Name: AggieE46
Car/Engine: E46 M54B30
Mods:Sreamline filter, EvoSport pulleys, Shark Injector, Technik Gen3 headers w/ Swain coating, Magnaflow full catback
Peak numbers: 220whp/216wtq

See less See more
#315 ·
As someone who lives in Canada, yes, winter fuel will hurt power output. Most winter fuels are "winter fuel" because their ethanol content has been bumped up close to the maximum allowable. This is to help prevent freezing in the gas line. Iceman likely hasn't had to deal with this living in Florida, I'm talking -5 F and colder temps being a concern. I deal all winter with people coming into our dealership complaining of poor mileage compared to their summer mileage. Between the slush on the roads and the fuel it's to be expected. That being said, you'd might still make more ultimate power on a dyno because you won't have to worry about heat soak. I tend to notice my car feels the fastest in the spring and fall when temps are cooler and I'm not using winter gas.

#317 ·
What's up everybody!? Alright, thought we'd give it one more go on the dyno just for good measure...before I tear it back down again. We pulled a little more fuel up top and played around w/the timing a little bit too, and well...I think the results speak for themselves!?!? We managed to eek out a few more ponies, and torque is now up to 275ft lbs. The car is making 300HP by around 6,000ish rpms and then hitting 360+HP @ 7,700rpms and holding it all the way to 8,500rpms. The car is running very, very well!

#324 · (Edited)
Small video of my car on a dyno in November 2012. This was to test the effects of a Shark Injector plus Evosport underdrive pulleys, and the result was a gain of 9.5 peak HP at the wheels. Same dyno used 2 years earlier. The ambient temp was much cooler for the 2nd test, but the SAE correction should account for that.
Edit: Went from 189.7 to 199.4 RWHP. aFe intake installed but not yet tested.

Next: install CAI and dyno test again in November 2013!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwXt4XbYQj8

#327 · (Edited)
It's kinda a weird car. The previous owner had a 2.8L swapped in to get a little more power (???) so the motor is a clean, lower miles bottom end with a fresh head... But, I think, running all the M54B25 engine management. I'm not sure which intake manifold it has, I'm assuming the M54B25 since it has the electronic throttle body.

It feels to me like something isn't quite right with the VANOS/Cam Timing, but I haven't had time to go back in and check. It doesn't throw any codes but it is slooooow as the dyno shows (it doesn't help that my E36 has 100whp/80wtq more).

I think, basically, that I would like it to have stock ZHP power. It feels so flat above 4k after the DISA switch. I'm hesitant to do headers since it makes this exhaust sound so awful (and I really do like the sound now.) It's just a new daily for me, so I'm not likely to do much to it. Maybe some pullies (the alternator is doing some... interesting things) and an intake of some sort to replace the stock airbox.

#329 · (Edited)
I would take it to a tuner, explain what was done, and have them make an appropriate calibration

Keep in mind it is still a 2.8. I wouldn't expect much more than 190whp

Are you 100% sure the previous owner wasn't blowing smoke out of his ass? i can't see why someone would swap a 2.8 in to an MS43 car with the 3.0 being available.

#332 · (Edited)
Name: satx e46
Car/Engine: E46 M54B25
Mods: injen filter using stock pipe/hose, muffler delete
Peak numbers: 174whp / 121 ft-tq

Text Font Screen Technology Electronic device

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVo_EkMh8zk&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

#333 ·
Name: Aaron
Car/Engine: E46 M3 s54
Mods: stainless steel muffler (Megan racing)
Peak numbers: 310whp/252wtq
Dyno type: dynomax
-MAP IN PROFILE-

Sorry couldn't post map in post but its in profile pics. Dynoed in full sun closed hood in 85+ degree weather and still put down good numbers. JAILBREAK TUNING located in westminister CA is the responsible party :D if you live in the surrounding area give the boys a call

#334 · (Edited)
Name: Mike
Car/Engine: 2004 330i ZHP
Mods:
Baseline: BMW Performance intake
Tuned: Bimmerbrakes headers, Magnaflow exhaust, dyno tune
Peak numbers: 231whp/230wtq
Dyno type: Dynodynamics

The first thumb is the baseline run, with just a BMW Performance intake installed. The second comparison plot is after the installation of the headers and exhaust, and a dyno tune.

Attachments

#338 ·
Name: Redline
Car: 99 323i 5mt 191,000 miles
Engine: m52tuB25
Mods: Dinan CF long tube CAI, Headers, No cats, custom exhaust (stock 1st resonator, 3" mid pipe, borla xs muffler) custom dyno tune
Dyno: Dyno Dynamics (reads low compared to dynojet according to tuner)
Max Horsepower: 182.4 at 6,000 RPM'S
Max Torque: 170 at 4,700 RPM's Text Pattern Pattern Design Paper
Text Pattern Pattern Design Font

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#341 ·
if you want to compare cars goto a dyno day, same machine, same conditions, same operator, same strapdown technique and process used then you are about as close to being able to make comparisons as it gets.

lining them up doesn't compare engines, it compares engines, gearing and weight.

#346 ·
Vehicle is a 2002 325Ci.

Dyno'd around 4 years ago bone stock with only a K&N panel filter @ 161whp on a mustang dyno (i think).

Current performance mods are a custom after axle Y-pipe into a 3" Vibrant muffler, K&N Typhoon intake, UUC pulleys, Besian Systems Vanos Seals, 3.46 auto diff swap, and regular maintenance. The car currently has 112k miles. It managed to put down 165whp.

#347 · (Edited)
Name: Dirtboy
Car/Engine: E46 M54B30
Mods: ESS Twin Screw stage II+ 8.5psi supercharger kit, Schrick 248/256/10.8 forced induction camshaft set , Technik Gen2 ceramic-coated headers, SuperSprint free-flow race cats, SuperSprint free-flow middle muffler, Eisenmann race end muffler, OEM "modified" airbox, Snow Performance MPG-MAX water/meth kit
Peak numbers: 310whp/278WTQ
Graph