E46 Fanatics Forum banner

260 rwhp 323i 99 e46 with orig motor and no super charger!

86K views 272 replies 62 participants last post by  TrippinBimmer 
#1 ·
Hello all it has been a long ardiuos road, but i finally got the call today from Evosport! Put down 260 rwhp with a 99 e46 323i orig motor! no supercharger, but instead a custom turbo gt 35r with a pectel stand alone! dinan free flow exhaust, all custom piping and oil feed lines by Evosport! Huge thanks to Dale and Brad from Evosport for your time and patience, i have heard alot of good things about their customer service and i would say Brad has matched every one of them! I will have pics of the dyno and the set up in the next week or so as i am going to Cali to pick up my car:str8pimpi
Any questions ask away!

#3 ·
Sweet!!

BUT, why did you pay all the money for a gt35r to only make 265whp?? You must be at like 6lbs of boost...
That turbo is effecient enough to make 650+HP. Plus, you could have got a smaller ball bearing turbo to help spool-up, but we all know the gt35r is spool happy.

#5 ·
very cool project, congrats on getting it running

i hope you plan to open up your head, and get more displacement somehow...

where, rpm, do you achieve full boost?
what kind of turbo manifold is it?

I think you may have gotten more turbo than what you'll be using, but maybe not, share with us your plans

#9 ·
if you've ever had the chance to compare the ports on the heads of the m54 and the m50 family, then you know the m54 could use improvement. (I will refer to m52tu as m54, it's all the same family). At the very least, I would port .5" into the port to port-match to manifold, which is probably m50 based (m50,m50tu,s50,m52,s52)... of which the basic castings are all the same. I would port as much as 1" into the exhaust port to try and achieve the smoothest port-match.

As far as turbo, to really use it with a m52tub25, it needs to be built. Otherwise I feel it's tremendously oversized. You should experience 0 dropoff at upper rpms, but with the boost levels, displacement and compression ratio you have, it seems to me that a gt28 would be far more appropriate blower that would yield similar numbers with a far earlier spool. With the TT t3/t4, at 8 psi I made over 300whp on a very conservative dyno. Granted your motor is smaller, but I think you will manage better curves, much more area under them with something smaller.

#14 ·
:Thanks for the congrats everyone! And yes Pei it finally came true however it was more like 2 years the car was not running right and under the knife lol! Not Evosports fault! Evosport is located in Huntington beach. Alec i will send you a pm when i get the car back soon i was going to fly down there and drive it back but now that it is snowing i am gonna have it shipped back, waiting for the clutch masters clutch to go in this week and then i will find out when the trucking company can pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL finally get it done and all i want to do is drive, but living in Minnesota sux cuz it is already snowing= no driving!

ANd everyone that wants pics they will come soon along with a dyno to prove my words are the truth :) and not just :blah::blah::blah:

#15 ·
Hey Pei ya the pectel is sick!!!!!!!!!!! after talking to Neel at apex and dale at evosport i knew this was the one for my future upgrdes on the built motor, turn it up to between 12-16 psi and really let that gt35r breath at that point this car will be the ultimate sleeper!!

#16 ·
Acader in regards to your post, no you would not get more power with a supercharger i looked and aa and ess are very close they are both around 310 bhp wich is at the crank i believe which would make it around 255 whp. Also those are not upgradeable as i can rebuild my bottom end and turn up the boost and hopefully get around 350-400 whp, also name one person that has done this besides irish mikes racing! Kinda bragging rights for a almost one of a kind thing. Plus when people tell me i can't do something it makes me wanna do it that much more! :str8pimpi

#17 ·
Acader in regards to your post, no you would not get more power with a supercharger i looked and aa and ess are very close they are both around 310 bhp wich is at the crank i believe which would make it around 255 whp. Also those are not upgradeable as i can rebuild my bottom end and turn up the boost and hopefully get around 350-400 whp, also name one person that has done this besides irish mikes racing! Kinda bragging rights for a almost one of a kind thing. Plus when people tell me i can't do something it makes me wanna do it that much more! :str8pimpi
You can't get 600hp out of that car :craig:

#24 ·
i didnt read into details much but what kind of exhaust manifold did you go with and are you using a 38mm wastegate? im interested to hear more specs on the setup and future goals. what exhaust? 3" with muffler? gonna get some new cams? nitrous? meth injection?

#25 ·
hello all in regards to your post snikwad, it is something that has not been done before as it is a turbo on a 323i not a supercharger i was not refering to the amount of whp it made but rather that it is a 323i with stand alone ecu on a 99 e46 323i which i can almost for certain assure you has not been done before, except irish mikes's racing has one. But it is not a dd it is a race car. Broach here are some specs i am using a 44mm tial waste gate, a dinan free flow exhaust, custom turbo manifold, 550 cc injectors made by rc, a gt 35r turbo a pectel stand alone ecu, all custom turbo piping, custom oil return lines. Tuned by Evosport. Future plans are for upgraded head studs, fullt custom built bottom end, and maybe meth injection. Also i have some pics but i do not have any idea how to post can anyone help?

#26 · (Edited)
i can. in the bottom of the "quick reply" box, theres a go advanced button. click the little paper clip over to the right of the font. then you can either upload them, or you can embed them by uploading from a url. to upload from a url, put your picture on flickr, photobucket, anything like that. right click on it and copy image location. paste that into the upload from url spot. hope that helps. and yeah if you cam that thing and rebuild the bottom end and meth injection and really put down some whp. but your in my situation. you want to daily drive. so i dont want to boost insanely high and reduce engine life and efficiency.

edit: also one more thing you MUST keep in mind with your car is that subframe issue. if you have not already, i would order the turner motorsports reinforcement kit and have that installed pronto. otherwise at your hp you will tear that thing apart.

#35 ·
Im am in the process of piecing together a custom turbo kit for my 2003 325i. I am not pursuing crazy power because i use it more for an autocrossing car than i do a straight line. The car has everything bolt on as far as upgrades go and has custom tuning to dial it all in. On top of that i have used a 75 dry shot for that little extra kick. Now i want to eliminate the spray for a more consistent boost. I know the stock internals can hold up pretty well. I am only looking to throw 7 or 8 lbs. of boost at it so i am pretty sure it will hold up fine. The hardware i am not really worried about but what should i do for the tuning? Anoyone done this before? Would love feed back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.