E46 Fanatics Forum banner

2001 m3 accelerates on its own

9K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  Mircea's M3 
#1 ·
Hello, I've had my m3 for a couple months now and had no real major issues until the other day, when I got on the highway entrance ramp, I was rolling down the ramp in 4th gear without touching the gas, hovering above brake pedal and all of a sudden I felt it pull so I clutched in and the engine was revving up to 4-5k rpm, I pumped the gas and went down.
I noticed it does this mostly on ramps when I turn quite a bit

Car has k&n intake which I know it affects rpm but it hasn't done that before.
Changed the battery the day before (battery wasn't recommended by BMW but it had over the specs that it requires)

I read something about sticky throttle but I'm not sure if that could be it, it just doesn't seem similar to my problem

Any help would be much appreciated

#2 ·
I believe your car is drive by wire so there is no physical connection between the gas pedal and the throttle body.

I see you live in Canada as well.

A very common problem with many cars is the floor mat. Do you have a Winter floor mat or is the standard floor mat Velcro backing torn loose and/or are you missing the plastic inserts that screw into the floor?

#4 ·
That was my first thought as well! But that's not it, I kept testing it to see in what conditions it does it and its only in big turns such as highway ramps or big roundabouts any gear doesn't matter.
I know the car is drive by wire so there is no cable to get stuck anywhere so that's what gets me so lost.
My floor mats are properly set in place
Thank you for your input tho much appreciated

#13 ·
I also thought of the cruise control but once I got on the highway I tried the cruise and it didnt work which I thought might be related, it worked before.
Lol no Toyota parts already checked haha
And no this car hasn't been driven in the snow and it hasn't snowed this year yet.
I will check behind the firewall but I find it weird that it only does it on big turns

Thanks everyone for the input

#32 ·
And this issue doesn't happen once you turn the DSC off correct?

Absolutely 100% it's the mismatched wheel size(s). The car's stability control/traction control is confused by the difference in size from front to rear.

If I can ask, why are you running 17's in the front?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.