E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Coolant system problem!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JM323 
#1 ·
Hellow guys, over the weekend only hint I had was low level coolant light on dash, here a couple pics on closer inspection for someone knowledgeable to please assist. :read:

- LOOoOoooooow level...

- Pass. side, all good...

- Rear, all good...

- Bottom, moisture noticeable...

- This caught my eye...

- Closer look... :yikes:

- Oopss... :thumbdwn:

- Drain plug all moist...

- Lower cover, all dirty and moist, top side was PITA oil leak taken care of. :craig:

:idea: I'm inclined to say, it's the radiator itself and not the ET as many here.
(Car is 2002 318i 71500mi engine n42 auto tranny Production Code: AY71 )

Thanks for taking a look.

See less See more
#5 ·
I don't do the maintenance myself but recent changes on this area include ET replaced 4 yrs and Upper + Lower radiator hoses about 2 yrs ago. After that nothing had been pointed out by mechanic. Good thing is that the car went into the shop this morning. Initial feedback was the radiator needs to be replaced, but I've to wait further evaluation for a quote if any other parts are required to be replaced as well. I guess it's only a matter of time now. ;)

#6 ·
Yes, it's the radiator, but your ET might be leaking too...so if other things are replaced, fine...but do ET too...good time for Therm, WP, belts, maybe a pulley or two.

If ET has 50K miles on it or more, it's worth the $50...and a rad, online, $140 for a manual.

If you got 195K miles out of your original radiator like me, you should be happy...anything over 150K prolly pretty good!

This is the time for cooling system refresh, though...whatever didn't come out 2 years ago...maybe even the four ancillary hoses for heater/engine?

Sorry...you 'sort of' asked!

Doug

#8 ·
I just did my ET because I thought it was leaking. While pulling it out I noticed that my radiator had a small crack at the same location yours did. Right now I used RTV to fix the joint :eeps:. Temporary of course until I can source a radiator (OEM or Aluminum). I haven't decided yet.

#9 ·
Just off the phone with mechanic. Culprits were the plastic radiator joint (?) and plastic ET (once again :banghead:), rest is A-OK! parts and labor $710.
All will be good now as I get my wheels back, give it a good wash and roll turning heads around :craig:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.