E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

224K views 623 replies 153 participants last post by  gigidel 
#1 · (Edited)
Dynavin Navigation info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

Dynavin "D99 PLUS"​

Dynavin has made some running changes to their D99 platform Audio/Video/Navigation Systems, some of you who are particularly perceptive may have already noticed. :read: Although most of the changes are subtle, they make for a more refined, easier to set up unit and that makes for happier users! (and less work for me) This new updated model is known as the D99 PLUS (D99+). As always, they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the BMW E46, E39, E53, E9X, E8X and an assortment of Audi, VW, and Mercedes models.

Details can be found on Dynavin's website, http://www.dynavin.com

Although they have been shipping for months in certain models the roll out has been somewhat slow. Dynavin has not been making much noise about it, probably because up until recently it didn't cover all models, I expect they will be promoting these soon. THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE FOR OLDER D99 UNITS, it is a mostly similar but in many ways new unit (think iphone4 to iphone4S). If you bought a D99 in the last couple months you probably already have one of these and didnt realize it!

....and the best part? The price went DOWN....:thumbsup:

Its time to open a discussion about these units as they are different enough to warrant their own thread and Q&A. As always lets try to keep this a Q&A, try to keep the thread informative, factual, and useful. Keep the speculation and opinions out of it.

Im just going to go over the changes here....for a more complete look at the Dynavin D99 units, check out the D99 thread here:
Dynavin D99 thread:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895068

For yet more info, installation hints, and maybe a little history, check out these previous Dynavin threads:*
Dynavin D95 thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753

So you ask, what is the "+" in D99 PLUS? :hmm:

CD/DVD/USB/SD Screens Cosmetics

The CD/DVD/USB/SD screens now share the same basic cosmetic theme as the rest of the unit, black backgrounds, white letters, red or orange colorings. Previous offerings have always had a few different cosmetic looks depending on the source but now everything pretty much looks similar.

Reverse Functions

With the D99+ the reverse, backup camera, PDC (oem parking sensors), and their related audio settings are all configurable, you can even do a combination of features, like having the PDC graphic overlay the backup camera screen. While in reverse mode you can have the audio mute or only reduce its volume, you can also have the PDC beep (on vehicles where PDC is built into the stock audio system). Note the added settings (in the "hidden" factory settings menu). If you have none of these you can also just turn it all off.

Here is a short video showing some various setups you can have when the car is in reverse, first a backup camera, then PDC alone, then Camera AND PDC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdbuo-BktE&feature=youtu.be

Password Theft Deterrence

Now the usefulness of this might be debatable, or maybe Im missing something.... I dont think Ive ever heard of a Dynaivn theft, and a password lock isnt going to keep it from being stolen, but it will keep someone from using it. In the WinCE units this doesnt really matter but I suppose in the android versions it would keep a thief out of your android apps that might have sensitive info. The password lock is not something you use every time, it comes into play when power is removed from the unit, once power is restored to the unit it will require a password.

Improved Bluetooth Phone Integration:

Dynavin is still using the Parrot bluetooth system but has changed a few things.
Minor feature but your paired phone's signal strength and charge level now display at the top of the screen on the audio screens, (or at least it does with the phones Ive tried). Bluetooth streaming audio quality is now almost indistinguishable from being plugged in (although the D99 was pretty good too).

AND NOW A BIG ONE, those of you who have been following dynavin for a long time know that there has ALWAYS been an issue with using streaming bluetooth and the nav system at the same time, there were workarounds but basically you needed to plug in to use your phone for music when also using the nav. NO MORE! Finally you can stream your audio from your phone AND use the nav system at the same time.

New Touchscreen

Small change here, only a change in the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Looks exactly the same.

Etc...
Plus a bunch of small changes in the name of refinement and stability. None of this is some huge game changer of a feature, but it combines to make the units easier to integrate into a given vehicle, and ties up a lot of loose ends for a more satisfying user experience.

Ill be adding more pics and info to this post as it comes up.

See less See more
#211 ·
Yes, it replaces the entire lens.

ok so i want to buy this igo thing but the maviextras doesn't detect my sd card. is there a trick?
No trick, download the "toolbox", put the card in, select Dynaivn D9X as the model.

#214 ·
Hey Jeff,

I have a couple of questions:
One: I cannot install APK's directly to SD Card, I updated the ROM to the latest Dynavin Rom from the Dynavin Website. I finally got a USB hub in there working and have Wifi and Bluetooth both working at the same time. Right now, everything works except that I cannot install APK's directly to SD Card.

Two: The links to the Dynavin Hacks on one of your earlier posts are mostly broken. Do you have links to the ROM's or can you email them to me?

If anyone wants to know which USB hub works, just ping me and I'll let you know. It cost about $5.

Thanks,
John

#222 ·
Got my D99+ delivered this past week and finally had a chance to get her put in today. My previous set-up was the 4:3 nav, so it threw me for a bit of a loop when I realized the Fakra cable had square pins when I needed round. Oops... Guess I should've researched a little more.

No matter - as splicing the Fakra wires to the standard radio adapter was easy. Does anyone know if there are any adverse effects for doing it this way? I haven't noticed anything yet - everything booted beautifully - but I haven't really had a chance to sit down and hash out any bugs or annoying nuances.

Oh, and Jeff - thank you so much for the awesome service! Much appreciated!

#223 ·
Yes, you handled the fakra cable plug correctly. if your car has the wrong plug, swap them.

#225 ·
Hi everyone,newbie to the forum

As this is the most comprehensive dynavin thread on the interwebs i need to ask about some issues i have.

1. clock on windows side sometimes resets itself,could this be to low voltage from alternator?
2. Updating the Android side,screen is flickering and takes forever to update.
3. Android suddenly died/didnt start.been like this for three months thats why i have tried updating it.

any ideas how to fix these issues except setting it on fire?

dealer here in norway isnt too happy speaking with me regarding this unit.(think they knew it would have problems)

btw its a D99 installed in a E39

Cheers
Geir

#226 · (Edited)
OK after doing the research and asking a few questions, I just placed my order for the D99+ WinCE model, HVAC relocation kit, and the reverse camera on Jeff's website (thanks Jeff! please email the tracking number once you have it, order 2222).

I have one final question, but it's a minor one. Since I went ahead and opted for the reverse camera, what routing has everyone been using from the head unit to the trunk? Along the headliner, door sills, down the middle of the car under the console? I googled for several hours last night and didn't find anything. Just wondering if one is easier than the other. My guess is that the door sills would be the way to go.

Thanks
Tracy

#227 ·
I just got my dynavin with rear camera and accessories this week and the rear camera instructions show you the wiring path which is along the door sill. That's probably how i'll hook mine up. Except i'm most likely running my wires through the passanger side glove box to the door sills (the instructions go along the drivers side).

#233 ·
Ordered my Dynavin from Jeff last week. Installed it today and everything works perfectly right out of the box. I will say that the manual that comes with the head unit is basically worthless. This thread and Jeff's tutorials were much more helpful.

#239 · (Edited)
I received the Igo Primo GPS module for my Dynavin D99+ today. The module was the basic SW verson for a cost of $99. I immediately downloaded and upgraded it with the North American POI and North American Major Cities 3D Building add-ons ($22) for a total of ~$122. My D99+ was one of the earlier ones that came shipped with Sygic GPS module (~Oct 2012), later ones now come shipped with the Igo Primo.

Update of the software from the Sygic to the Igo Primo was easy and straight forward. First you remove the Micro SD card on the left side under the volume knob, and then insert the new Micro SD card. Power up the unit and press the Navi button. The unit will then display an error indicating it can not find the Nav SW files. The screen then allows you to browse to the Micro SD card file structure and load the Igo Primo.exe file. From there it only takes a few seconds and it ready for setup.

You are lead through a few series of setup screens, and that's it, its ready to go. From there I then powered off the system, ejected the Micro SD card and plugged it into my PC to update it with the newly acquired software. Note, it is necessary to install the Micro SD card into the D99 unit one time before the updates can be installed, this is so it can register the unit on the memory card.

From there the Naviextras Tool box is really intuitive and simple to use. Once logged in you can browse all the latest maps and updates for the Igo Primo in the Tool Box window. Updates are purchased and downloaded to the memory card all from the tool box. I have a Garmin Nuvi standalone GPS unit and it's not a slick as this interface. When all the updates have been applied to the memory card, you simply plug it back into the Dynavin units slot, power up and run the same set up screen again, viola! She done!

So I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, but already I can tell this is a much better interface than the Sygic SW it replaces.... In fact, in just navigating it's user menus, it feels light years ahead of the Sygic, and seems much simpler and easier to use. This is very welcomed as it allows a person to focus on driving rather than fumbling with the interface. The search menu seems very quick and easy to use, as does all the other menu items. In all I feel this is a worthwhile upgrade over the Sygic system, and I look forward to it use. Thanks to Jeff at J and T Distributing for getting this SW update to me with all the required support.

Downloading the updates and extras on Naviextras Tool Box

The Micro SD card and adapter, ready for the upgrade

The memory card inserts just under the left knob

Press the Nav button once and this error is displayed until the file path is chosen

Once chosen, the update takes less than 10 seconds to load

Here is the 2D Street view zoomed out, in night mode

Set up screen for the GPS

The search menu while retaining a windowed 3D map view

The POI menu showing nearby restaurants

That's all today folks....

#240 · (Edited)
Glad you are enjoying iGo Primo but one thing you didnt point out that is pretty important for future readers of this thread.....you had to BUY the program/maps for $99+/-......and then you added the upgrades from naviextras.com for $22. I want to make sure everyone reading this in the future understands the costs associated with what you did.

A little background for you readers out there, We recently started including licensed iGo Primo Navigation Program with the Dynavin units we sell, "ViperZ" has a previous unit that came with "Sygic Drive" Navigation Program and bought iGo Primo to replace it.

This version of iGo Primo works on Dynavin D95, D99, and D99+ units ONLY.

#242 ·
Ok. I have two questions.

Is there a way to get the BMW logo to display on the screen? I have not found it although I've tried.

And when I'm streaming music from my iPhone 4s every so often there'll be a loud beep and the song will be cut off and another will start. Is this just because of the way the music is being syreamed or is the a setting someplace I've missed?

#243 · (Edited)
Ok. I have two questions.

Is there a way to get the BMW logo to display on the screen? I have not found it although I've tried.

For the logo go to your main menu, and press setting. Once there press System in the lower left corner, then touch the upper right corner of the screen. There is no button there, as it's a hidden display. Once there you will see the Log change selection.

Does anybody know if we can upload our own images to become the start screen?

#245 ·
No you cant do a custom boot screen, just the brand logo.

you dont have to release the clips on the E46, just pull the unit out, they will let go.

Ive never heard of that bluetooth thing you are describing. Where is the phone when this happens?

#246 · (Edited)
Ive never heard of that bluetooth thing you are describing. Where is the phone when this happens?
I have a mount mounted to my dash to the nut just under the trim to hold my iPhone. Physically, it's about six inches to the right of the Dynavin and is held pretty securely in its cradle.

This is my phone mount

#247 ·
is it plugged in to anything when its in the cradle?

#249 ·
When you plug and unplug power the iphone will make a noise and stop playing....I would bet you are loosing your power connection for a second when you hit a bump. Have you unplugged the iphone to see if the issue goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.