E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Intravee II iPod DIY Install & Review

66K views 83 replies 26 participants last post by  WOLFN8TR 
#1 ·
Parts Needed:

Intravee II. BMW ibus to Alpine AI-Net module. $250
http://www.bimmernav.com/store/cata....html?osCsid=d343934985c672659ff3cdafabf21f70

Alpine KCA 420i. $100 MSRP (I bought one on eBay for $50)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=KCA-420i

iPod. I used a 5th generation 30GB iPod video. Its dedicated to the car, and I don't need to worry about a charging adapter for the newer iPods

After many frustrating years with various forms of the IceLink, Dice, Dice Silverline, and Neo, I finally gave up with those products and decided to step up and get a legit, reliable iPod solution for my wife’s 2004 325xi. Her car has factory Nav and Bluetooth, which makes the Dice just about unusable. There is enough info on this forum about the Dice’s shortcomings that I don’t need to rehash it here—basically the same complaints everyone else has: popping noises, alternator feedback, having to constantly disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset the thing, the inability to browse by artist on the older modules, freezing text on newer modules, and of course, ridiculous shipping charges for warranty repairs. Basically, I’ve had enough…

A few years ago, I’d first discovered the Intravee II (IV2 for the rest of this review) and had anxiously awaited its release. By the time it came out, I had already invested too much into the DICE that I didn’t want to incur additional expenses of a whole new setup. In hindsight, I would have saved a ton of money had I just invested in the IV2 then.

The IV2 is a BMW ibus to Alpine AI-Net converter. Instead of trying to do the iPod controls itself, the IV2 allows Alpine’s rock-solid KCA-420i to do the dirty work. The IV2 acts as a converter between the Alpine and the BMW. I’ve been using the product for about a week now and have no complaints. There is a customer support forum for the IV2: http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/index.php and the developers are active there helping customers. The firmware is upgradable by customers, so you don’t need to worry about shipping charges back and forth for simple software fixes.

The searching of the IV2 is amazing. I was first a bit bummed that the length of the Alpine cables (about 4’) would not allow me to store the iPod in the glovebox. Turns out, leaving the iPod in the trunk is just fine—the IV2 search is so good (and quick!) that you’ll never need to touch it except to remove it from the car to load new songs. Sweet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyhow, here’s the pics of the install. The official install instructions and user’s guide are linked on Bimmernav’s page.

The IV2 as it arrives. There is a serial port (for firmware upgrades) on one side, and 3 connections on the opposite side. (ibus, CD changer and Alpine AI-net).

Inside the IV2. You move jumper pins if its slaved off a Sirius unit (mine is):

All of the pieces. Alpine KCA-420i, the ipod, the ipod cable, and the cable connecting the IV2 to the Alpine unit:

I am installing my iPod where the CD changer went. I drilled a 1" hole in the back of the CD changer blanking tray:

I used a 1" rubber grommet from an electronics store to clean up the install, and make sure the cables don't pull through:

#3 · (Edited)
I just plugged everything in to make sure it worked (it did!):

I then pulled everything out and decided to mount the KCA-420i to the Sirius bracket. There was plenty of room for both. Used locking nuts, of course...

There is plenty of room with the Sirius module mounted to feed the Alpine's 2 cables out the back of the unit. I zip-tied the excess cable and stuffed it between the BM53 radio and the Sirius bracket:

Here is everything put back together. I put the IV2 on top of the Bluetooth ULF so I could easily get to it for future firmware updates. For firmware updates the car needs to be in position 1 (for ibus communication) with the IV2 plugged in and a serial cable running to your PC.

With the carpet back on, its super clean. There is velcro under the ipod to secure it in place:

#4 ·
Of course... pics of the interface. The thing is really fast.

This is the main "playing" screen with full screen Nav enabled:

Playing screen with split-screen Nav enabled:

The searching interface. You can skip forward and backwards 10 albums / artists at a time, which is fantastic, and makes for much quicker searching.

The main search screen:

#9 ·
Nice job. I mounted both the iPod and Intravee in the tray (where you have your iPod). Mine are turned 90 degrees to yours.

#10 ·
Nice job. I mounted both the iPod and Intravee in the tray (where you have your iPod). Mine are turned 90 degrees to yours.
Ha, great minds think alike... ;) Where is your thread on bimmerboard btw? I didn't see it there...

I actually had the Intravee II there first, then decided to move it ontop of the BT ULF. Its my wife's car, so she's going to be taking the iPod in / out of the car, not me, and didn't want to confuse ehr with anything extra... I can just see her jamming the ibus cable into the ipod dock connector. ;)

#11 ·
Nice......I've been running a hacked Phatnoise in both by BMW's for sometime. I looked at the Intravee a few years back and loved the concept. The limitation for me at that time was the small capacity of the Ipods comapared to 160GB's Phatnoise DMS's with everything ripped in a lossless codec.

Looks slick!

#13 ·
You have 160GB of music?! Good god. Haaa. My 30 GB ipod has about 15 GB free. Edit: Just noticed the "lossless codec"... Yeah, that'll build up the file space a lot faster for sure...

I've had the Intravee II installed for about two months now. I've been very happy with it. I got the Intravee II new, a used alpine unit from eBay, and a refurbished 120gb ipod classic from apple. It's all wired in and tucked into the storage tray in the trunk, I need to take the trunk apart and actually mount all the hardware correctly. I have a convertible, it looks a little more involved. One of these weekends I'll find time to tackle it!
Nick
Nice! Glad to hear there's other user's out here of the IV2. It gets almost no mention on this site, since half the sponsors sell the DICE... In fact, I fully expect this thread to be magically deleted... ;)

#12 ·
I've had the Intravee II installed for about two months now. I've been very happy with it. I got the Intravee II new, a used alpine unit from eBay, and a refurbished 120gb ipod classic from apple. It's all wired in and tucked into the storage tray in the trunk, I need to take the trunk apart and actually mount all the hardware correctly. I have a convertible, it looks a little more involved. One of these weekends I'll find time to tackle it!

Nick

#20 ·
I use the advanced search menu, it works pretty well.
I don't have Sirius, though I am thinking of adding HD radio with an Alpine TUA-T550HD. I requires Intravee firmware V6 which isn't out yet, so I'm waiting.

#22 ·
Hi Sna77 :hi:

Very well done and very clean install !!! Congrats on the IVII choice, after suffering like me for many years of the inconsistence and bugs of other setups :shhh:

I started with the same setup as you two months ago, 30gb 5g Video ($90 new from eBay), IV2 ($100 new from eBay), and KCA-420i ($80 new from eBay). I installed the IV2 on top of storage tray as you did, but left the serial cable connected and tucked in the spare wheel tray area for esay access. I mounted the KCA-420i to the left of the CD changer/NAV bracket, as i have a TV module mounted where your Sirrus is. I used a 6ft dock extension cable from CableJive to locate the iPod in the little glovebox under light switch (euro models only), and also ran a camcoder cable (3.5mm to L+R+Video RCAs) from iPod to TV module, with the L and R connected to the AUX, so i can watch videos in stereo on my 16:9 nav screen.

I have only one thing to say about IV2 : CLOSE TO PERFECTION !!!!!!

Cheers

#23 ·
The Intravee II is truly amazing! I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, I am quite jealous of your TV module! I am thinking of adding an aftermarket one to my car and feeding the audio through the AUX cable as well and using a DVD player as source.

How do you find the sound quality is with the dock extension cable? I was debating doing that, then realized that the IV2 was so good that there was no need to have it in the glove box (although with video, you'd definitely need access to it).

ipod dock extension cable:

#25 ·
Nice! Have you been happy with the NavTV module? I am debating using it for my reverse camera module. There is an OEM switching unit thats about the same price but have heard good things about the NavTV module. EAS sells siomething called the Dietz 1250, which uses the clock button to switch video inputs--I think this may be a bad thing though when using the IV2--too many devices trying to take over the ibus...

Is there an eta on the v6 release?

#26 ·
Just to clear things up, the NavTV module i am talking about is a cable containing an interface. This cable can only be used in conjunction with the OEM TV/Video module, so the NavTV module is not a video source module like the Dietz 1250, it's an interface that allows TV in motion, plus the ability to listen to any other audio source (other than the TV/AV sound) while watching TV. I just have to press the **** (tape reverse) button to listen to the audio source (AUX, CD, RADIO, Intravee) i was listening to before i switch to TV. So yes, i am very happy with it.
As for the reverse camera, i think my setup is different from yours. With the OEM TV Module, i have the following in/out RCAs :

1/ Composite Video input
2/ Mono Audio input
Those two are accessible when selecting the AV channel on TV instead of a TV channel.

3/ Composite Video output
4/ Mono Audio output
These can be used to drive headrest monitors.

5/ Reverse Camera Compsite Video input
This can not be accessed via the menu or monitor. In fact, when i go into reverse, a relay feeds the camera with 12v, and Pin 17 of the white connector on OEM video module is shorted to ground. As long as Pin 17 is grounded, the video signal of the camera overrides anything on the screen (Intravee, TV, OBC, ....

Sorry Sna, hope my post was not too long

#27 ·
And no eta i am aware of as for the v6 release

#29 ·
Thanks Russ! Who'd have thought my first sticky (after a dozen DIYs) would be an iPod review. haa ;)

I'm writing a more detailed review of this for a car publication at some point in the near future. Will link the full article here when completed.

#37 ·
You're welcome, Sna

#40 ·
Great writeup, my friend, congrats :bow:

#41 ·
nice! i keep regretting not buying the intravee and getting the dice. :(

alternator noise,having to unplug/plug ipod back in all the time because it doesn't work. giving 3 characters of text on the navigation screen, which is absolutely useless.

Looks great bro.

i might just cough up the cash to get this and end the headaches.

#43 ·
thread merge....

I was about to buy the DICE iPod adapter when I came across the Intravee II option. Will the Intravee II charge the iPod? I couldn't find a mention on that on the postings.

Thanks
But yes, the IV2 charges the iPod. If you have a USB-based iPod charging system, you'll need to get one of these adapter things. Older iPods charge just fine as is.
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Charging-Adapter-touch-iPhone/dp/B001HN6CVA

#44 ·
A few questions.

I have the Business CD + Changer in the boot of my 330d Touring. The Business CD has the mode button on it. I can lose the changer, that's not a big deal. I just want to stick the ipod in the boot and forget about it...

Can I connect the Intravee II at the CD changer end easily (to save faffing around with the head unit)... is there any interference probs with that approach if it can be done?

Can I use the steering wheel controls with to control the Ipod? I've used a KCA 420 with an alpine head before, so i'm aware of how that works... but not sure if the steering wheel will drive it all.

Or am i really looking at a new head unit + steering wheel adapter + fitting to solve this one...?

#45 ·
A few questions.

I have the Business CD + Changer in the boot of my 330d Touring. The Business CD has the mode button on it. I can lose the changer, that's not a big deal. I just want to stick the ipod in the boot and forget about it...

Can I connect the Intravee II at the CD changer end easily (to save faffing around with the head unit)... is there any interference probs with that approach if it can be done?
The IV2 can ONLY be connected in the trunk CD changer input. Sound is great. Check--er the instructions in this thread for info. Takes about 2 minutes to connect everything.

Can I use the steering wheel controls with to control the Ipod? I've used a KCA 420 with an alpine head before, so i'm aware of how that works... but not sure if the steering wheel will drive it all.
Just the volume control

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.