E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Euro Bluetooth Module Installed on 04 M3cic...

7K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  e.barr 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always wanted to do the bluetooth module, but wanted to wait until bluetooth matured a bit more...and I guess that time came yesterday...

I've heard a lot about BMW's bluetooth module and finally decided to try it out on the 04 M3 convertible w/ Assist...BMW says bluetooth doesn't work in conjunction with Assist...which is true for 04's...but who really wants assist anyways? BMW also says bluetooth doesn't work with convertibles...but what's the sense in that? Why Euro? I've heard a lot about incompatible phones...but i've also heard that the Euro module is supposed to work with a lot more phones...I've compared both modules...both made in spain by the same company...We've got 4 BT phones...so we'll see =)

Anyway here's my install...remember its very specific to convertibles and assist pre installed....that means the mic is prewired and also the car is coded for telephone already...

You'll need the bluetooth install kit...actually you only need the BT antenna, the pairing button, and the pairing button adapter...

And of course...the Euro BT Module...

See less See more
#2 ·
I realized that working on a convertible is so nice...don't have to worry about hitting your head on the roof...

Remove the center piece...

I didn't even know there was a compartment back here...

Pull up and remove the seats...

Remove the two hex nuts that hold down the back rests...

Push the tabs and lift up the head rests...

Pull out the seatbelts...

Push up on the backrests and pull them out...

Remove the driver side panel with 13mm

This is the suggested location for the BT module...but mine didn't really fit here well...

#3 ·
Look behind the side panel...there are supposed to be a few wires...I think these are for a signal booster...you won't need these...

You are looking for the white with purple clip which is the BT antenna line that routes to the rear ash tray in the center...

I couldn't find where the assist module so I took apart a lot of stuff...

My next guess was the trunk area...

I've taken apart the trunk just about a million times so it was cake this time around...

Still no assist module...back to the side panel idea...If my mom comes home and sees her car like this...she's gonna kill me =p

Arg...still no assist module...but here's the the vert control module...and also the AMP for the speaker system...learn something new everyday I guess...=)

#4 ·
I heard it might be behind the NAV DVD drive...no such luck...

Everything on the convertible is much more crowded...things like radio antenna are all crammed into the rear fenders...but finally...removing the rest of the carpet...the assist module was behind the driver side rear seat...

All I had to do is fish the BT antenna from inside to the trunk area and piggy back the BT module to the assist module...the assist antenna is not used...

Okay the hard part is over now to install the BT antenna...

#5 ·
BT antenna...

Pairing button...I decided not to go for a cradle because we have so many different types of phones...plus the cradle only charges the phone and boosts cellphone antenna...its not really worth the extra $100...plus you loose can holders...definately not worth it...

Button adapter...

Pairing Button...

#6 · (Edited)
Attached...

The instructions insist that you dremel a square to fit the button...there's no way i would ever do that...I came up with this solution instead...you only use the pairing button when you pair a phone...

The coin holder is spring loaded so it doesn't affect the arm rest from closing all the way...

Now to see if it all works...push and hold down the pairing button and turn on the car...

Yay it works...Blackberry pairs perfectly...

The sound is crystal clear and I am quite impressed with the integration...it has last dialed and most frequent numbers dialed...You can also use the nav to initiate the call...now I just have to wait until the others come home with their BT phones...

Anyone have a phone that they know that doesn't work with the US BMW module?

#22 ·
I am pretty sure the system is voice activated...there's a little booklet on those features but I haven't really gotten to that part yet...I've been having trouble with our motorola v710 from verizon which I feared...I've heard that there are some known problems with the v710 flashed by verizon and the bmw BT...I can't dial out from the car...when this happens the phone looses service and acts stupid for a few minutes...but calling using the car as a handsfree works perfectly...so thats priority on my list right now...

edrock200: If your aftermarket solution is working good for you...I'd say don't fix it if it ain't broken =) Do you really need voice activated?

#23 ·
please post a parts list :D also, kindly post the coin holder open and closed. i'd like to see how it was installed and if it interferes in operation. thanks and great job bro!

#25 ·
MITE46 said:
I am pretty sure the system is voice activated...there's a little booklet on those features but I haven't really gotten to that part yet...I've been having trouble with our motorola v710 from verizon which I feared...I've heard that there are some known problems with the v710 flashed by verizon and the bmw BT...I can't dial out from the car...when this happens the phone looses service and acts stupid for a few minutes...but calling using the car as a handsfree works perfectly...so thats priority on my list right now...

edrock200: If your aftermarket solution is working good for you...I'd say don't fix it if it ain't broken =) Do you really need voice activated?
You need to get the v710 flashed with the old software for it to work properly with the BT. I had the same problem in my M3. The address book will not transfer with the v710 though. My Razr and E398/Rokr work just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.