E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Calling all high mileage xi owners (what has broken?)

74K views 227 replies 154 participants last post by  Bhewgs 
#1 ·
I have a xi about to hit 50k...I'm wondering who has put a lot of miles on their xi and what has gone out on it...(related to a mod or not...)

I know my cooling system was replaced by the dealer before I bought it from the original owner @37k, and my front cv boot was leaking a bit...other than that, I have had zero problems. :pimpin:

How 'bout yall?

#158 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 325i, bought with 179,000 miles
so far I've replaced
oil filter housing gasket
Vanos oil line
All of the oil pressure regulator system
every kind of air and fuel filter
fan speed regulator
spark plugs
All of the smaller pressure lines, even the ones located at the back of the engine.
disa valve as I thought it might be that causing lean codes and the seal on the thing was gone
new cup holders
new rear tires
put some vinel wrap around the outside of the door pillars that are the matte black ones as the paint was actually peeling off from the drivers side, much cheaper than replacing actual pillers but may end up replacing at a later date.
Thermostat, water pump, coolant reservoir, coolant flush
new pulley and and belts
I'm now up to 190,000
6 months old
and costs are up to $1,278.00 for parts alone

Things I'll be doing in the futures
Vanos seals
wheel bearings, fuel cap, oil cap, oil dipstick, oil level sensor, new working key, replacing A,B,C pillers. new coin holder / storage tray haven't decided, vinal wrapping the plastic trim around the car
new / reconditioned AC compressor. AC belt tensioner. Front end alignment

I heard these cars need maintenance but I wasn't quite expecting this.
It's a love hate relationship I think with these cars. I love driving and working on them as there are so many videos and DIY's thank god. I just wish parts were a little cheaper so I could get done all of the DIY's and not have spent the same money for a 2012 model

#159 ·
147,700 right now, purchased my 03 325xi with 103K

New plugs, coils, injector
Water pump
Radiator
Expansion tank
Brakes and rotors
Rear drivers side control arm
Both Front bushings and arms
New struts and springs
New window regulator
New key and door lock
New rear emblem
New starter
KN air filter
New tail driver tail lights from recall

#178 ·
I see a whole bunch or window regulator replacements. If your window is struggling, check this out before replacing that expensive part. It might just be one of the brittle clips holding the wire to the glass. This fix takes some time and a 3¢ cable tie (although the cable ties CAN break).
http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/index.html

I've got about 120K miles on my 2004 330xi. So far, the major things have been:

front passenger side axle (the boot had cracked, grease had fallen out, and the car was wobbling roughly under acceleration!)
valve cover gasket
oil filter housing gasket
DISA valve (the flap had cracked off)
Tube Elbow (fixed an air-related CEL, and a high-pitched whistle)
some stupid vacuum tube (fixed another air-related CEL ***8212; 10¢ of hose to replace some cracked hose)
Fuel filter (remember to clamp the RETURN line!)
Spark plugs
power steering filter change and fluid change
brake rotors & pads (hint: autohausaz.com has free shipping on those heavy things)
belts & tensioners, including conversion to hydraulic tensioner.

To do soon:
new battery - I'm happy with the 8 years I got out of the original.
Cooling system overhaul (using Bav Auto's kit part no. "E46 COOL AUTO")
transmission filter replacement and fluid change
differential fluid change
VANOS line change (because I'm still leaking oil)

So how do I know when I need to change shocks, struts, and bushings? I know nothing about those things.

#180 ·
Upper rad hose exploded, expansion tank broke, passenger window regulator, ground wire to tail light (fixed under recall), csb, headliner and pillars, leather stitching split a little in the top of the back seat, vcg was leaking, leaking washer fluid pump, cracked windshield cowling, sway bar end link, a single bad o2 sensor,icv or throttle body was dirty causing car to go into limp mode, and intake boot had a small crack in it. Will be getting another bmw next year hopefully an x3 (manual). Oh, and it has 168k. No lights now just need an alignment and a new window regulator.

#184 ·
Got mine in December @ 126k now it's @ 140k and I've replaced:

Both CV axles (dealer paid for it), starter, alternator, DISA, FCABs, FCAs, Inner Ball joints, Front passenger wheel bearing, Torn Intake boot, Steering Coupler/Guibo, New tires, Front brakes (pads and rotors), Power Steering Reservoir cap gasket, Front sway bar end links.

I had no knowledge of what the previous owner had done (or not done to it) because it was purchased from an auction and didn't have anything but the title.

#186 · (Edited)
Man where do I start...
133000 miles...Auto...

Things I have done in the past 70000 miles...
Both axles...
Control arms and bushings...
Cooling system over haul...
Oil separator...
Starter...
Valve cover gasket..
VANOS...
fuel pump/filter...
Battery...
Key...
oil filter housing gasket...
vacuum hoses...
DISA valve...
Brake pads and rotors (twice)...

I am actually about to drop a crap load of money on the following items in the next few weeks...

Springs/struts/mounts....
Differential fluid flushes...
Trans service...
oil/filter...
Oil pan gasket...(looking like a nightmare job)
Coolant flush..
plugs..
air filter./cabin filter..
wiper blades..
both front axles again...
control arms again...
urethane bushings this time...
power steering fluid...
Water leak in battery compartment...

Luckily I am able to do all this myself and my friend gets parts at around dealer cost...Otherwise I would set this car on fire....

#187 ·
I have 122k miles on mine now and this is what I have dome in the last 50k miles...

Things I have done in the past 50000 miles...

Both axles
Control arms and bushings
Cooling system over haul with new everything, including radiator, hoses, Stewart Water Pump, etc...
Electric fan conversion
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Valve Cover Gasket
New Spark Plugs
1 new coil
Final Stage Resistor (Getting ready to buy another because I think this one is starting to go bad!)
GM5 Module
Battery
New pads & rotors
New Fuel Filter

2 Window Regulators

Today I am adding new Koni Shocks & Struts, VB3 18X8.5 with Michelin Sport Pilots - 235/40/18 and getting it aligned. I also just added a new MTech bumper!

Parts I have in the shop to do soon and stuff scheduled...

New OEM Fuel Pump
Cleaning the ICV
Replacing some hoses and fittings.

I figure after all this work, aside from a widow regulator every now and then, tires every 4--50k miles and normal PM work, I'm set for the next few years. I plan on putting 300k+ miles on this car.

#188 · (Edited)
111k Control Arm Bushings, cv boot, water pump preventative, front brakes
120k Valve cover gasket
130k "Fan with cover" on fuse box(fixes cricket noise), Oil Level Sensor, Oil Filter Housing Gasket.
133k water pump(again!), alternator, tail light recall
150k steering knuckle guibo(if you have some annoying play in the steering wheel - search on this!!)
162k fuel pump(low power, then no start - super easy fix)
Belts, idler and tensioner pulleys, 2-3 times in 5 years.

Had her since about 100k, great car!!! Did it all myself, never been to a shop so far.

#189 ·
Sold my xi for a zhp but the first week of new ownership the xi ate a fuel pump at 153k...then the filler breather line popped off the filler neck...That car was dead reliable for the 50k I drove it...never an issue then bam!

The girl loved me when she bought it now she hates me (despite me covering all the work)

#191 ·
I've got 115k now.

My brakes were overdue for pads and flush. Decided to do rotors too as mine were pretty old and edges were caked with rust.

Recently did my front suspension:
Steering tie rods, sway bar end links, one of the control arm. Ball joints were pretty shot, I had clunks and some vibratio at speed.

Also did a rear window regulator.

Need to do my valve cover gasket (maybe whole cover)...still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.