E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Don Nguyen | Blacked Out Window Trim - Vinyl

120K views 176 replies 43 participants last post by  Don Nguyen 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I have been getting people asking me if I can do window trim as well, and the answer to that is yes! Not all of the cars I do are E46s, but hopefully it'll give you a general idea of how blacked out trims looks like on various and different colored cars. All of these cars are cars that I worked on personally, but if you aren't a local and just need materials, I can supply the necessary materials needed as well.

Just recently started taking pictures of the cars that I've done window trim on, and here's one of the first of them. I must say, it was a very very nice car.

E63 AMG:

If you guys are looking for any vinyl materials to cover your roof, window trim, etc, shoot me a PM with what you need or post up any questions you might have.

-Don

See less See more
#58 ·

Here is a white BMW E93 M3 convertible that I vinyl wrapped the chrome window trim to give it the shadowline/blacked out look. Convertibles are a bit more tedious to do since there are so many separate pieces, but it's doable. We went with the matte black to give it a more subtle look and blend in with the rubber weather pieces that are around the window trim pieces. I believe the owner of this car was either around in Orange County or near the Los Angeles area and he came out to me in Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done. It was a pretty new car. Still had the red striped Euro plate on it.

Before:

After:

-Don

Donathon@gmail.com

#59 ·
Haven't had much of a chance to post pictures in a while, but finally getting some time to do so again.

Here's a black Mercedes Benz C300 that came out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange county to have his window trim vinyl wrapped in matte black. We blacked out the chrome on his car. Unlike BMWs, the Mercedes does not have the shadowline/black trim option.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#60 ·
It's not often I get bigger bodied cars like this E65 745il come by to have vinyl work done on their cars. However, the owner of this car contacted me to see if I could black out the chrome on his window trim, to give it the shadowline look. We ended up going with the matte black finish over the gloss black finish so that it'd match the rubber around the windows and the already matte door pillar pieces. The owner of this car was from Los Angeles area and drove out to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#61 ·
Here is a black Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG that came by to have me vinyl wrap his chrome window trim in my matte black vinyl material to black it out. The owner of this car was also from Irvine/South Orange County and came out to me in Anaheim Hills to have the vinyl work done. I think the matte black still goes fairly well on the black car, since the trim does not just blend in with the rest of the car, but still accents the trim pieces nicely.

After:

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#64 ·
Christmas may be over, but I am continuing this until I get rid of all of my satin black material. Unfortunately, I do not have any more pictures of the satin black, but hopefully the ones that I have already posted above will be good enough for you guys to determine the differences and how it looks compared to the other finishes.

Here's a white BMW F10 535i that I recently worked on. I vinyl wrapped the chrome on this car's window trim with my matte black material. It really changes the look of the car completely, since the chrome doesn't match anything else on the car and the window trim especially takes up such a large real estate on the car when looking at it. We went with my matte black vinyl material for the window trim to match the rubber and door pillars that were also already matte black from the factory. The owner of this car was around south Orange County, and I happened to be in that area from Irvine that day so I dropped by to do the vinyl work on his car.

Before:

After:

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#65 ·
I worked on this black Bentley GT Continental coupe a while back. He brought his car by to have me black out the chrome window trim on his car. Originally he was going to go with gloss black, but once he got here we decided to go with the matte black to still give the covered pieces some contrast with the rest of the car. Also wrapped the chrome accents that were along the bottom of the car and his door handles. He was around Mission Viejo or so and came out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County.

Before:

After:

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#66 ·
One of my previous customers that had me vinyl wrap the roof on his 335i E92 sold his car and got a new car. He purchased the new limited edition matte black C63 coupe from Mercedes. Everything looked good on the car, except for the chrome window trim that blatantly stood out, especially against the matte black paint on the rest of the car. It's not often that I get a matte black car that comes in to have their window trim vinyl wrapped. He decided to go with gloss black for the window trim, to give it some contrast still, and I think it turned out great.

Before:

After:

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#67 ·
Nothing fancy this time around. I vinyl wrapped the trunk handle, which was the last piece of chrome that was on this sapphire black 550 GT. The owner of this car was in Irvine as well. This will help out those who've asked me what my gloss black vinyl material looks like against metallic black paint/finishes. There's still a slight contrast to it, which I think is cool, so it still accents the trim pieces on the car a bit versus just blending in completely.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#68 ·
I had this new white Mercedes Benz C class coupe come by to have me wrap his chrome/brushed aluminum window trim in my gloss black vinyl material. He wanted to go with the gloss black to match the glass panoramic roof and to also match the B pillars on the door, which were also gloss black already from the factory. I should have taken the after pictures of it outside so you guys can get a better view/look, but for some reason this time I took the pictures of the car inside. The owner of this car was from around Buena Park and drove out to me in Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I have a lot of guys ask me if they should go with matte or gloss black on their window trims, so hopefully this will help those of you out trying to figure what to go with.

Before

After

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#69 ·
Here are some pictures of a new black BMW F10 5 series that I vinyl'd the chrome window trim with my matte black material to resemble the BMW factory shadowline trim look. I had some people ask for some closer up pictures of the wrap around the edges, so here they are. Let me know if you guys have any questions or other picture requests.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#71 ·
I always enjoy getting new cars that have just come out coming by to get vinyl work done. It's like the dealership's showroom is coming to me, instead of me going to it, haha. I had this gray/silver new Audi A7 come by to have me vinyl wrap the chrome/brushed aluminum window trim with a matte black finish, which gave it a very nice touch. Matte black was definitely a good choice over gloss black for this car and color combo imo. I wish I had taken some before pictures of this car, to show the before/after, since the chrome dominated such a large area on this car. However, I think I forgot my camera that day or it ran out of batteries. Luckily the owner of this car lived down the street from me in Irvine, so I dropped by to take these pictures and did some vinyl stuff for him at the same time.

-Don

donathon@gmail.com

#72 ·
The owner of this car drove out from Los Angeles out to me in Orange County/Anaheim Hills to have his window trim wrapped on this dark blue Infiniti G35 sedan. Decided to go with the matte black finish over the gloss black, to give it somewhat of an accent still and so that it did not completely just blend into the rest of the car.

Before:

After:

Note in this picture, the vertical line/seam in the upper window trim piece is due to the factory piece having a seam/break there.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

#73 ·
Here is a black Mercedes W204 C300 or C350, I don't remember, since it was debaged. I vinyl wrapped the chrome or brushed aluminum window trims with my gloss black vinyl material to give it that shadowline blacked out look. For this car, we went with the gloss black material over the matte black material. We did this so that the window trim would blend in with the car more, since his tail lights were tinted fairly dark (making then look like gloss black) and his wheels had some gloss black accents on it as well. I also blacked out the chrome trunk handle in the rear to complete the entire chrome blacking our look/process.

In addition to the window trim, I also did the top half portion of the side mirror blinkers in gloss black. I basically covered the reflector portion and left the actual indicator portion visible/clear.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

#74 · (Edited)
Who said you couldn't modify wagons? Here is a brand new white Mercedes E63 AMG wagon that I vinyl wrapped the factory chrome or brushed aluminum window trim with my matte black vinyl material. In addition to the chrome window trim, I also blacked out the rear chrome trunk handle piece to complete the look. The owner of this car was local to me in Orange County. It made a big difference as you can see from the before/after pictures. Getting rid of the chrome made the car look a lot more solid and really pulled the car together. Completely changed the look/stance of the car in my opinion.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

#75 · (Edited)
The owner of this silver F10 528i sedan drove down from norcal / San Francisco to me in Orange County to have his window trim vinyl wrapped with my gloss black vinyl. Similar to what the shadowline trim would have looked like from the BMW factory. I took more close up pictures around the edges, corners, etc this time to show you guys in more detail of how the finished product looks.

-Don Nguyen

donathon@gmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.