E46 Fanatics Forum banner

stock stereo upgrade

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  noflash 
#1 ·
Okay,

I just got a new job, so I can finally afford to upgrade my non-HK system in my '99 328i - note: the rear seats don't fold and I don't have a ski-pass.

My plans so far:
- Punch out ski-pass plate.
- Install Basslink vertically on the firewall right over the hole (I know the opinion is that the Basslink is weak, but I already own it and I really can't hear it in it's box in the closet!).
- Install 12-disc Pioneer changer w/ BMWPILA (it will work, 7-12 will look funky on display; I already own this so I gotta use it)
- tint

This all makes use of the factory non-HK amp. Will it be possible to upgrade the sound of the 10-speaker system after all this and keep the stock head-unit?

I DO NOT need more volume, I need better quality sound.
I would consider an amp and speaker upgrades, though I don't know what combination and how many of each.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
I would look into getting some JL W6 like one 10 for a lil extra bass and getting 2 Rockford Fosgate amps or JL one for your stereo and one for your sub...add a power cap, and finally start adding I.C.E. like maybe a indash apline or pioneer DVD player with flip screen

#3 ·
I started by adding an amp and a some subs(still using the factory HU). I had a problem getting bass in the cabin so I punched out the ski hole(like you plan on doing) and it did help but I still want more. So now I am going to remove the rear speakers and mount 2 10's in a free air (when the speaker uses the trunk as the box) set up. Once the subs are taken care of I am going to add a 2nd and 3rd amp to power the front and rear mids and tweets.

Although it takes awhile doing it in stages helps you appreciate you upgrades and you can save money for better performing products.

#4 ·
fabulus323 said:
I started by adding an amp and a some subs(still using the factory HU). I had a problem getting bass in the cabin so I punched out the ski hole(like you plan on doing) and it did help but I still want more. So now I am going to remove the rear speakers and mount 2 10's in a free air (when the speaker uses the trunk as the box) set up. Once the subs are taken care of I am going to add a 2nd and 3rd amp to power the front and rear mids and tweets.

Although it takes awhile doing it in stages helps you appreciate you upgrades and you can save money for better performing products.
So, two relatively small amps can power the ten speakers and hook up directly with the stock head unit?

That would be ideal. And an easy next step would be to gradually replace the speakers.

True?

#5 ·
And like I said you appreciate your upgrades that much more. You might want to look into the JL Audio stealthboxes for the E46. I heard they sound really good(not too loud) and you dont need a big box in the trunk for them.

Check it out!

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/3series2.html

#10 ·
my setup's gonna be 2 JL 10"s in a custom box in the trunk w/ a RF amp..

something simple to throw in and get some extra bass from the HK HU.

I believe one amp is good enough for the subs :)

#12 · (Edited)
noflash said:
I DO NOT need more volume, I need better quality sound.
that's nice to hear for a change. in that case, go w/ the basslink. It's not hugely (new word) loud, but it has a built-in amp and should do well for adding in a little bit of low-end power. Also (strongly) consider the JL audio stealthboxes. They will need a separate amp, but they don't require much power for - what I consider to be - tasteful listening levels. (Try a Rockford Fosgate m250 or a smaller PPI amp if you get the stealthboxes.)

I would consider an amp and speaker upgrades, though I don't know what combination and how many of each.
DO NOT try to use an after-market amp on the factory speakers, you are just asking for trouble. First, the factory speakers cannot handle much power, and you might run a chance of blowing them. Secondly, it can be very tedious to modify the stock system to this level. If you decide to do upgrades other than add more bass, you'll need to start with (at the minimum) a set of component speakers for the front and a four-channel amplifier. The four channel amp would power the front components (a mid-range and tweeter in each front door) and two "filler" speakers in the rear. The factory rear speakers should do fine for this as long as most amp power is diverted to the front components. So, that's just my two cents.

ps...any shop worth their weight in speaker wire should be able to interface the speaker set-up I mentioned with the factory head unit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.