E46 Fanatics Forum banner

my Ice>link install & 2.06 upgrade - 56k beware

8K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  John330i 
#1 ·
ok I thought I'd post the pics of my upgrade along with pictures of what the 2.06 upgrade gives us. I LOVE it!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
LI_BIMMER said:
Thanks for the detailed steps. I will go this route soon but not sure if the trunk version is best. Do you already have a CD player and chose this install kit. Thanks again.
yeah. I have the Business CD player (in dash). I like it even though i wasn't sure at first about where to mount it. I think it came out pretty nice. I thought about leaving it in the trunk but that isn't a good option for me. In any case there are a lot of places to mount it.

I was pretty nervous about pulling my dash apart... but it wasn't really hard at all and the install took me about 2 hours and a little muscle at times. I thought i was going to break my air vents. I'm very happy with my tunes now! :thumbup:

#10 ·
DensionUSA said:
Great pictures! Glad everything went well. :thumbup:
Thanks Tom. It's working wonderfully! never any problems. Sounds great! pauses as soon as i shut the car off (without changing modes) ID3 and the 2.06 are cool & make for easier browsing (especially when driving :shhh: )

I think I'm more impressed with the Ice>link than I am with the iPod :thumbup: . You guys really put out a top notch product and to see the support you give and constantly trying to improve your product is a breath of fresh air in today's world. If Dension wants to use any of my pictures feel free to do so.

#11 ·
John330i said:
Thanks Tom. It's working wonderfully! never any problems. Sounds great! pauses as soon as i shut the car off (without changing modes) ID3 and the 2.06 are cool & make for easier browsing (especially when driving :shhh: )

I think I'm more impressed with the Ice>link than I am with the iPod :thumbup: . You guys really put out a top notch product and to see the support you give and constantly trying to improve your product is a breath of fresh air in today's world. If Dension wants to use any of my pictures feel free to do so.
Great, thanks! :bow:

#13 ·
Dension vs. BMW kit

I like both of your installs - very clean look. I have no problem "modifying" the plastic parts of the car to get a clean installation...

It's nice to hear you both have had great success with the Dension. So far, I've kind of avoided it because I read all the concerns about noise issues and not turning OFF, etc.

I would actually prefer the Dension...maybe I'll return my BMW interface kit and go with the Dension...

toby-ffm said:
great job, very detailed documentation, :bow: i did my install today as well, i located the icelink below the window-open-switches, so if anything fails, i can easily remove the unit... i mounted my ipod lower, as i did not like to have it near the navscreen, here are some pics:

picture 1
picture 2
picture 3

cheers

toby

#17 ·
youngmd said:
Installing tomorrow..will I need firmware upgrade?
Depends on where the ice>Link was purchased (could have been on the shelf for months). The kits I ship always have the latest firmware preprogrammed.

Get the ice>Link installed and we'll find out what firmware is on the kit.

#19 ·
joedaddy said:
so this install bypass the need to mess with the trunk?

i like this install better. .than the "normal" install
It does, but I prefer the trunk install kits personally. They are much more forgiving to upgrades such as Sirius radio and Bluetooth.

#22 ·
joedaddy said:
ok, i bought my icelink at BB cuz i have a GC from there.. and my cable doesn't look like urs.. i guess mine is the trunk installation model..
where do i get a cable like the one used to connect it to the headunit?
We have the radio harness available as well - but it is on backorder until the end of Jan. Most people use the trunk harness - the same features are among both kits.

If you would like me to reserve you a radio harness as soon as they arrive, contact me directly and I'll place you on my list.

#24 ·
John330i said:
been a while since I've visited this post...

so the firmware is updated now? :) cool....
what new features are there? and got a linky for me?
Depends - what is your current firmware version?

Here are the procedures for determining your firmware version on your ice>Link Plus:

Turn the key to the on position and select your CD Changer. Once you are in this mode, plug in the iPod to the Active Cradle or Docking cable. During the warning screen, the firmware version can be spotted by looking at the number in the top right corner of the iPod.

#26 ·
John330i said:
I'm sure I'm still at 2.06. I havn't changed it since I upgraded to that firmware version.
Find out for sure and email me directly for the update. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.