E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

224K views 623 replies 153 participants last post by  gigidel 
#1 · (Edited)
Dynavin Navigation info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

Dynavin "D99 PLUS"​

Dynavin has made some running changes to their D99 platform Audio/Video/Navigation Systems, some of you who are particularly perceptive may have already noticed. :read: Although most of the changes are subtle, they make for a more refined, easier to set up unit and that makes for happier users! (and less work for me) This new updated model is known as the D99 PLUS (D99+). As always, they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the BMW E46, E39, E53, E9X, E8X and an assortment of Audi, VW, and Mercedes models.

Details can be found on Dynavin's website, http://www.dynavin.com

Although they have been shipping for months in certain models the roll out has been somewhat slow. Dynavin has not been making much noise about it, probably because up until recently it didn't cover all models, I expect they will be promoting these soon. THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE FOR OLDER D99 UNITS, it is a mostly similar but in many ways new unit (think iphone4 to iphone4S). If you bought a D99 in the last couple months you probably already have one of these and didnt realize it!

....and the best part? The price went DOWN....:thumbsup:

Its time to open a discussion about these units as they are different enough to warrant their own thread and Q&A. As always lets try to keep this a Q&A, try to keep the thread informative, factual, and useful. Keep the speculation and opinions out of it.

Im just going to go over the changes here....for a more complete look at the Dynavin D99 units, check out the D99 thread here:
Dynavin D99 thread:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895068

For yet more info, installation hints, and maybe a little history, check out these previous Dynavin threads:*
Dynavin D95 thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753

So you ask, what is the "+" in D99 PLUS? :hmm:

CD/DVD/USB/SD Screens Cosmetics

The CD/DVD/USB/SD screens now share the same basic cosmetic theme as the rest of the unit, black backgrounds, white letters, red or orange colorings. Previous offerings have always had a few different cosmetic looks depending on the source but now everything pretty much looks similar.

Reverse Functions

With the D99+ the reverse, backup camera, PDC (oem parking sensors), and their related audio settings are all configurable, you can even do a combination of features, like having the PDC graphic overlay the backup camera screen. While in reverse mode you can have the audio mute or only reduce its volume, you can also have the PDC beep (on vehicles where PDC is built into the stock audio system). Note the added settings (in the "hidden" factory settings menu). If you have none of these you can also just turn it all off.

Here is a short video showing some various setups you can have when the car is in reverse, first a backup camera, then PDC alone, then Camera AND PDC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdbuo-BktE&feature=youtu.be

Password Theft Deterrence

Now the usefulness of this might be debatable, or maybe Im missing something.... I dont think Ive ever heard of a Dynaivn theft, and a password lock isnt going to keep it from being stolen, but it will keep someone from using it. In the WinCE units this doesnt really matter but I suppose in the android versions it would keep a thief out of your android apps that might have sensitive info. The password lock is not something you use every time, it comes into play when power is removed from the unit, once power is restored to the unit it will require a password.

Improved Bluetooth Phone Integration:

Dynavin is still using the Parrot bluetooth system but has changed a few things.
Minor feature but your paired phone's signal strength and charge level now display at the top of the screen on the audio screens, (or at least it does with the phones Ive tried). Bluetooth streaming audio quality is now almost indistinguishable from being plugged in (although the D99 was pretty good too).

AND NOW A BIG ONE, those of you who have been following dynavin for a long time know that there has ALWAYS been an issue with using streaming bluetooth and the nav system at the same time, there were workarounds but basically you needed to plug in to use your phone for music when also using the nav. NO MORE! Finally you can stream your audio from your phone AND use the nav system at the same time.

New Touchscreen

Small change here, only a change in the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Looks exactly the same.

Etc...
Plus a bunch of small changes in the name of refinement and stability. None of this is some huge game changer of a feature, but it combines to make the units easier to integrate into a given vehicle, and ties up a lot of loose ends for a more satisfying user experience.

Ill be adding more pics and info to this post as it comes up.

See less See more
#498 ·
yes, but its not recommended as (the easy way) would require that the camera be on all the time.....and backup cams are not designed to do that so it will greatly reduce its life. In order to keep the cam from being on all the time you would need to install a manual power switch on it. If you dont already know how to set this up I would suggest you have a pro do it as you need some knowledge of wiring and proper tools and supplies to set this up.

#501 ·
It can be done, just not recommended. There are tons of different cams out there, some may survive, some may not. BUT Trent bought the cam from me so I know which one he has....and I know from experience that it WILL fail eventually if left on all the time as it was not designed for a 100% duty cycle.

#504 · (Edited)
I do recommend adding the clips for the license plate housing so we do not have to use 3M tape. I ended up taking my old clip and putting it on the camera housing so I did not have to tape it all in there
Correct, that is the right way to do it, the 3M tape is a gasket to keep water and road grime out of the housing.

I also would like to buy a camera from you and tv tuner that I currently have problems, but unfortunately, in Europe there is no such Dynavin -dealer. They do not respond to any emails
So your original dealer cant help you? Have you tried contacting the German dealer, maybe they can help as they always seem to do a pretty good job from what I have seen..... Maybe contact dynavin directly and ask them to point you to a dealer who can help you out? However I know that at least in my case, I simply cannot support units and accessories that I did not sell.....it doesnt work from a business point of view.....

#507 ·
Hi all,

I got a few questions/problems with my dynavin D99+ win ce unit.

When i use the MP3 player i have to set it to random/shuffle eachtime i turn the unit on. The problem is it does not memorize the shuffle/random setting.
Is this a bug or somehwere a hidden setting what i have to enable so the player remembers i set it to shuffle/random?

The display does not dim when i switch on my headlights. The buttons lights go on but the display does not dim. When i hold down the mute button it dims.
How can i set it that the display will dimm when i turn on the lights and switch back to bright again when i turn the lights off?

When i switch to navigation or cellphone during radio or mp3 play and back again the sound quality is not the same as before i switched. The system misses some bass/depth in the sound. Turning the radio on/off the sound quality is fine again. but as soon as naviagation of cellphone/bluethoot is activated and turned off again the quality is less as before.
Anyone any idea if this is a setting?

Hope someone can advise (specially question 1)

Best regards,

Robert

#508 ·
1) I think that is just how it is. But frankly I have not noticed one way or another. It is not just a setting though.

2) Yes you need to dim it manually by holding the MUTE button. There is no auto settings as there are now many places where daytime headlight use is mandatory or recommended and you can have the screen dimming in those situations.

3) That is not something ive seen, listen closely, is the issue that only the front or rear speakers are working? Have you changed the Navi Sound setting in the radio settings menu?

#509 ·
Thx for your anser.

1. very sad, it is really really anoying, i use the random setting always and eachtime the radio is switched on the setting is disabked again. Maybe someone could relay this to the developers and they release a (firmware) update for it so fix it.

2. true, but could be easy to set in seting: auto dim on (dim on hedlights) or auto dim off (dim on holding mute) Problem with the dim mute is that if you dim it and then activate navigation and go back to music again the dim function is also off again....

3. sound is over all speakers front an back. It is not the volume what changes but the "depht" in the sound, it is missing a bit off bass. It is not that it degrades 50% more 5%, not that big change but still a change...

The device is nice but the product is not there yet, some features are not good worked out yet and need some improvements.

I am curious if dynavin ever release a (windows) update for there products at all?

#512 ·
Thx for your anser.

sound is over all speakers front an back. It is not the volume what changes but the "depht" in the sound, it is missing a bit off bass. It is not that it degrades 50% more 5%, not that big change but still a change...

I am curious if dynavin ever release a (windows) update for there products at all?
I have never heard of this.....are you sure its not just a volume change or something like that (bluetooth has its own volume). I cant imagine a way this is technically possible.....

Yes there have been a few updates but this is not a cell phone, its a radio, so the updates and changes are no "pushed" to everyone like an iOS updated.....they are more to correct specific errors or vehicle integration issues, its at the discretion of dealers like me to determine where and how to apply them.

#511 ·
Great choice going with all pro audio, those dudes know their stuff.

Make sure you look at the setup page and the faq page on my website, lots of little tips on getting everything dialed in which will make for a much better experience, and if you cant figure something out, email me, that's why Im here! :thumbsup:

#513 ·
Hey jeff had my dynavin 99+ for a bit and its pretty good. still playing with some stuff. An issue im having though is my usb takes forever to load so long so that I have never actually gotten into the usb browse screen, it just starts playing the first selection of songs while it keeps the cd loading image up. I have driven with this up for a 2 hour drive just to see if it would eventually do it and maybe it was just the usb size though 32gb should be fine right. any suggestions. Also just curious has anyone been able to open the programming to tweek it? say for instance I have an ipod running program that displays song and album in a list and has a search and jump to alphabet feature in it. would I be able to upload and over run the poorly design one already on there. I realise you just do install and dont actually know much about the programing but im just curious if you have heard of it

#517 · (Edited)
its getting hung up on something.....probably some video or oddball files mixed in with your music files, itunes for instance puts the albumn booklets and videos in with the music.

A 32GB card should load in about 30-45 seconds in my experience. If it doesnt do it by then its not going to.

Hi Jeff,

I finished the installation on my E39 D99 but I have a problem with the start up logo. I am going to the hidden menu and selecting the BMW logo but each time I restart the unit goes back to the Dynavin logo. When I am going back to the hidden menu the option on the logo is again on the preset choice of Dynavin.

Any help on that?
No idea.....are you using the "back" arrow after you make your selection? What about the other settings? Do they save?

Hi Jeff.

Im having big issue with my Dynavin unit. Despite the fact that I'm not using a BMW nor have bought the unit from you, i hope you could solve this headache of mine.

Ive used my Dynavin unit a few months. Been working flawless. Only downside that I've noticed is that the car (Peugeot 08) has been warning on every startup. (Economy mode "low" or something like that) This after I've installed this unit.

Its been no problem sens I've used my car everyday and i thought that the system itself would prevent things like this, which is draining the battery when the car is not being used.

So, i went away. Still away. And after a few days being gone. My family decided to use my car. At that point, it was dead. Im 100% sure its due to the Dynavin unit. Ive connected it in the way its supposed to be connected. It even turn it self off when i leave the car.

What could be the problem to this draining issue? I thought if this was a common issue and you had the solution for it.

Heard some rumors about the DVD draining and ipod? Uses non of em.

Big thanks in advance,

//
Sorry, I cant be of much help there as we dont have Peugeots here and I dont know how they are wired, the only thing I can suggest is to unplug things one at a time until you find your culprit. Also, is there any reason why you dont think you just have a weak battery....its that time of year when the temps drop and marginal batteries die. Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free (in the US at least).

Hi Jeff,

Thinking of buying a D99+ but would like to have some type of traffic capability with navigation (I use Waze all the time). I checked on the iGO extras website and did not see traffic as an available update. Are there any other options for traffic on the unit? I'd go android to get Waze built in but have seen your posts on the issues with the android units.

Many thanks
email me, I have an idea for you: jtdist@sbcglobal.net

#514 ·
Hi Jeff,

I finished the installation on my E39 D99 but I have a problem with the start up logo. I am going to the hidden menu and selecting the BMW logo but each time I restart the unit goes back to the Dynavin logo. When I am going back to the hidden menu the option on the logo is again on the preset choice of Dynavin.

Any help on that?

#515 ·
Hi Jeff.

Im having big issue with my Dynavin unit. Despite the fact that I'm not using a BMW nor have bought the unit from you, i hope you could solve this headache of mine.

Ive used my Dynavin unit a few months. Been working flawless. Only downside that I've noticed is that the car (Peugeot 08) has been warning on every startup. (Economy mode "low" or something like that) This after I've installed this unit.

Its been no problem sens I've used my car everyday and i thought that the system itself would prevent things like this, which is draining the battery when the car is not being used.

So, i went away. Still away. And after a few days being gone. My family decided to use my car. At that point, it was dead. Im 100% sure its due to the Dynavin unit. Ive connected it in the way its supposed to be connected. It even turn it self off when i leave the car.

What could be the problem to this draining issue? I thought if this was a common issue and you had the solution for it.

Heard some rumors about the DVD draining and ipod? Uses non of em.

Big thanks in advance,

//

#516 ·
traffic

Hi Jeff,

Thinking of buying a D99+ but would like to have some type of traffic capability with navigation (I use Waze all the time). I checked on the iGO extras website and did not see traffic as an available update. Are there any other options for traffic on the unit? I'd go android to get Waze built in but have seen your posts on the issues with the android units.

Many thanks

#519 ·
I dont know then, thats weird. Contact your dealer, see if they can help you reload the firmware, I dont know if that will do it but its worth a try.

#520 ·
So I figured out why when I talk using Bluetooth the person who I would be talking to said it sounded terrible.

There is a built in mic on the unit. Apparently that runs while I have my external mic turned on. Any way I can turn on the built in mic without having to put a peice of tape on it looking trashy?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#523 ·
you could just plug the front cam into the aux in. Then you could select it as needed to avoid curbs etc....

As for the issue you had with the canbus box....your dealer should be able to supply a replacement part for you?

#524 ·
Thank you.

1) Your sure i could just put it in the AUX? Video support?

2)I did call em but was not given that much help tbh. So i did put all of the cables back in to original place. What i did next was to remove the yellow cable and put it to a diffrent 12V. A cable that i knew was 0V when turning car off.

So i solved this issue by removing that cable, nothing more. All works perfect now.

#528 · (Edited)
Yes, he put a front and rear camera in his car. Front cam on the aux in. But he used a camera intended to be on the back so the image is reversed....get a conventional mini cam and the image will be correct.

#530 ·
Is your dynavin an older model? Those had 2 active mics and it didn't work well. The newer (like the d99s) versions disable the internal mic if you use an external one.

#533 ·
you certainly should give that a try if you have an older unit. Bluetooth can be tricky, there are a lot of variables that go into the results you might get with bluetooth so playing around with the mic location/direction is a good idea as well.

On the newer units (D99 and later) they changed to a parrot blutooth module and changed the way the external mic works and the results were a definite improvement, and a lot less experimenting.....but in your case, play around with it and use whatever works best.

#538 ·
for it to harm the wiring it would need to be hot enough to melt plastic.....thats a lot hotter than "very warm"!

#539 · (Edited)
I know what you mean. And i thought of this myself.
But couldent the plastic be like "tended" (Duno if thats the word) Like the plastic used in diffrent items. Like laptops. That's more resistant against heat. And there for it could be so warm that if a cable is lying next to it, it will burn?

How much heat could the cabels behind the unit take?

#541 ·
Hello Jeff
I have Dynavin D99+ for Mercedes and was working great until 2 weeks a go the GPS not working and the screen start to freeze most of the time . I bought the Igo8 online but I'm sure is something wrong with it . My question is , how I can reset the GPS to the normal setting and if I did the the screen get back to normal ?
Thanks a lot

#542 ·
If there is something wrong with the nav program you are running you need to contact whomever you got the nav program from.......you say you bought it but any version iGo 8 that ive seen around here is pirated.... we sell a licensed version of iGo Primo but without knowing more details about the issue you are having its hard to say if that would do you any good.

In general with iGo though you can put the card in your computer and delete the contents of the 'Save' folder to get everything to return to the defaults.....but you do so at your own risk.

#544 ·
does the screen work on the radio side.....if it doesnt then you have some other issue. You need to email your seller for help on this as its going to require some more info and troubleshooting.

#546 ·
Hey Jeff! I recently installed the dynavin D99+ in my E91 and wondered if it is possible to connect the aux and USB input which is under the arm rest to the dynavin, without cutting too much wires...
thanks in advance!
Yes you can......but you will be cutting and sorting out the factory wires in order to adapt them to the dynavins USB and RCA AUX IN style connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.