E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Painting/Refinishing Wheels DIY

49K views 110 replies 51 participants last post by  Rezist09 
#1 ·
well im no pro or anything, i just thought id let some people in on how i did mine.

im not responsible if you mess yo shiz up SON!

Jon (frmwrxto330ci) was my influence and showed me all of this.

not very hard, most all of the time is in the prep

materials:

wheels:
dirty

clean the wheels

sand down and make a uniform finish. even everywhere

tape off rivets and lip

spray on primer. let sit for about 30 mins or until dry to the touch

spray on 4-5 light coats of paint. 15 mins between coats
spray on clearcoat. i used about 4 coats of clear

i let it dry overnight until i drove the car. probably takes a day or 2 for the clear to really harden and stay strong.

hope this helps

See less See more
#3 ·
can i get more shots of the car and rim, im thinking about going gold and black also.

#5 ·
Nice DIY, Im definatly going to give it a try, plus it will be easyer for me since the tires are allready off the rims. Question, is it hard to mask the lip of the rim so that paint doenst get on it? do you mask it and then cut the corner out with a razor? I think im going to paint the rims a dark gun metal grey color. Any sugestions?

#7 ·
i almost kept the rims and did just that my friend :craig:

i think if youre planning on going with a cf theme go with gunmetal. a dark gunmetal though.
if not then do a matte black.

masking it off it easy man. just go grab some painters tape. real easy to rip and paint wont seep through.

biggest thing to remember is to be patient!

will the wheel paint they sell sork with this clear coat
yup. any paint should work with it.

#6 ·
will the wheel paint they sell sork with this clear coat

#14 ·
excellent right up, and pretty D*** kewl 2...Will try very soon

#15 ·
question, How would I remove old clear coat that is peeling so that when I spray the rims I can reapply it and it will look clean. Do i wet sand it? The aluminum ring that you would mask off has what looks like a clear coat peeling off. Any sugestions?

#16 ·
I wonder if I should try to turn my CSL's bronze like the pic with the black m3 and bronze photoshopped CSL's.

#20 ·
any reason why you just didn't unbolt the rivets and take apart and paint?

#29 ·
you're an idiot

it will last years if you take care of it. do you know what clearcoat is/ what it does?

obviously you know nothing about paint.

any paint will chip off even powdercoat with road debris. i have not had one chip and i drive 300 miles a week.
Hey "breakmywallet, obviously your wallet is already broken if you can't afford to have your wheels professionally powdercoated. You should paint your whole car with spray paint.

#31 ·
what is the point in your post? he posted this in the DIY section for a reason. how about people that do maintenance on their own cars? do you think they are unable to afford to have their stuff professionally done as well? maybe people enjoy working on their own cars and find it rewarding being able to save money and have a great outcome. you're pathetic talking sh1t to a kid that does great work on his own car. i for one am sure proud of jeremy.. ;)

<3

#30 · (Edited)
haha. you just proved my point.

i dont want to pay for something if i can do it myself. thats just dumb

i made this thread for people who wanted to expirement with this. wasnt geared towards you. soo why are you here? i didnt ask for opinions did i? its helped a few people out already

post up pictures of your rolls royce? porsche? because youre so rich right?

car just got a new paint job homie.

what are you 14? grow up dude. get out

i will notify mods and have your posts deleted. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.