E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Why *not* buy an M3 vert?

23K views 166 replies 69 participants last post by  Schlag96 
#1 ·
Noticed in another thread a mention that M3 convertibles don't have the same subframe issues as the coupes?

Which got me to thinking. I've always with the convertibles I've driven, mostly crappy rental cars, but I've been happy to pop the top even when it's cold or for a short ride. (I use my sunroof constantly in my wife's car and my old e46 wagon)

So what are the drawbacks/tradeoffs of an M3 vert?
Do they develop squeaks and rattles and cowl shake?
Is the windscreen well designed for top down highway driving?
Is the top well designed and reliable?
What's it like to drive with the top *up?*

#40 ·
I owned both, Love the vert more though. I got a 2006 Vert with 3.91 gears, CSL airbox, Headers and cats, Soft top delete, Evolve tune. I pulled away on every coupe I seen in my area and handling was noticeable compared to the coupe but that changed with the KW2, Handles awesome!! With the right mods you can have the speed and the handling of a coupe but with TOP DOWN:woot: and don't forget about no pillars in the Vert. Plus there is ways to get more weight off the car different exhaust, Carbon Fiber hood and trunk, Lightweight wheels. Best one is removing the top and having a hardtop.

#43 ·
Here's what I don't get. Yes he every is a couple hundred pounds heavier. But factor in gear ratio and the power and torque difference. I don't get how people can say their butt dyno puts it about even between the M3 coupe and the zhp. That's just crazy.
Y'all must have some hella precisely calibrated butt dynos.
Cause all I know. Zhp yeah. Lil faster than regular 3.
M3 vert.... Woah! That's quick.
M3 coupe...wooah snap. That's very quick.

Either way tho. At the end of the day. Get what u want. Yeah verts are heavier. But I'm not trackday junkie as far as cars go. So the little trade off there is vs a coupe.
Meh! I'm quite fine, cause dropping the top on the right days, makes I all worthwhile.

#45 ·
I love my '06 vert and could care less about the extra 400 pounds (I don't street race) and the current M3 weighs 400 more than mine! Bottom line, I live in Florida and have the top down at least 2 to 3x per week! Cruising in the Keys with the top down is the only way to go!

#50 ·
I own an m3 coupe, and my brother owns a m3 vert.. I personally never driven his car, but he has driven mine and I asked if he noticed if which is faster and he basically said their was no difference in feel, the only thing he did say was when driving it he slightly noticed a lighter feel in the coupe in the turns, but not much....

He has also has a hardtop, and in my oppinion I think the vert w/ a hardtop looks pretty damn good, mind you I favor the coupes over the vert..

#52 ·
I absolutely love my Vert! First one I've ever owned, and I have to say it is a blast to drive, especially on a nice day! I have a hardtop for it, and to me that just sets it off even more. It's a great choice for the ///M!

Attachments

#53 ·
I bought the vert because I love me some rag top. I gave up caring what others thought about my choices a long long time ago. Buy what fits your requirements and what you are buying the car for. If the look of a vert turns you on then get it and enjoy what you spent your money on. If the coupe look is where it is at then go for that. Lots of threads here on the whole vert/coupe thing. In the end we all own the car we like, no one can tell you that your choice was a mistake other than yourself.

Now, soap box put away... I daily drive mine 75+ miles a day in combination highway and city roads. I live in the south so I get to be top down a lot. I like driving with no roof so the choice was easy. the car is what it is. I could care less about 1.4 mile times. I like the feel of the car, I like the engineering of the car, I like the way I can jet up the on ramp when I am lucky enough not to have mama granny pants in front of me.

When the car fails to put a smile on my face after a crappy day at work I will sell it and find one that does. So far it has never failed me yet.

#54 ·
It's also kind of noisy with a cloth top also but I assume it would not be as bad with a hard-top on. I'm not sure if handeling is affected since there's no roof and I can't say for my self because I haven't driven a coupe more than 10 feet but I drove many verts.

#61 ·
I was originally considering a coupe myself, to track etc. Then my 11 year old twins saw an M3 convertible in a local parking with the top down and said dad, you need to get one of those. First time my kids ever really showed real interest in what I bought. I sold my porsche 911 and picked up a very well maintained 2003 M3 vert SMG. Also, my first automatic fun car. The SMG was just interesting to me from a gadget perspective. My first convertible and I absolutely love it. And although the back seat is a bit small the only people back there are my kids. More than enough room. So I've decided to put the track days on the back burner and instead put on an aftermarket exhaust, adjustable coilovers, some carbon fiber bits, and some crazy custom blue wheels. What a great street machine. Living in MI means it's put away for the winter but the top is down most days between late April and late November. Kids absolutely enjoy the wind blowing in their hair driving up and down Woodward. I will be in this car for a long while. I guess I can't really comment on how much chicks dig it... I usually have my girl in the car so no comment from other women. And when it's parked I usually get comments from guys. Not sure of the chick factor on this car. The 911 got all the women comments.

So back to original poster here... Be sure you buy the car that fits your wants/needs. I never saw myself as vert owner, but I can't see owning a M3 coupe now. I really enjoy this car.

#70 ·
For me the one thing that really bugged me about the vert was the trunk lid. I always liked the coupe csl style trunk and was so bummed that I coukdnt get it so I decided to make a custom trunk to emulate the coupes csl trunk. Id say it makes the vert look much more agressive Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Personal luxury car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Bmw
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Sports car

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Bimmer App

#71 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.