E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Stupid Angel Eyes Question

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  tom @ eas 
#1 ·
Always having been a Honda guy, I'm new to the whole concept of angel eyes. It seems like every BMW enthusiast knows everything there is to know about angel eyes, but I really know nothing. I don't even really get the concept.

Question is: when are angel eyes on? Do they replace your DRL's? Are they always on, regardless of whether Xenon's are on or not? Do you have to turn them on manually? I just don't get it, and I simply cannot find an answer to this through all my searches.

I'm thinking about picking up a set, but ideally I'd prefer that they replace my DRL's (I'm in Canada so the DRL option is turned on since DRL's are mandatory here).

#2 ·
You can wire them to be on whenever you want (on switch), only when the car is on (most commonly wired this way), or when your corner lights are on. Basically, you can have it any way you like. Just depends on how you wire it.

They do not replace DRLs. DRLs are completely separate and you will have to get your local dealer to turn them off. I don't think they will though, since you're in Canada.

#3 ·
With our kits, we include a full wiring harness with built in remote kit so they will fade on when you unlock the car with your factory remote, stay on whenever the car is on (even if the headlights are on or off so they function as a DRL too) and fade off when you lock the car.

In addition, if you wish to have full control over them, we offer a Kill Switch DIY so you can install a switch to turn them on and off at will.

Here are the two kits currently available for your car:

Predator Chromium for Most BMW (CCFL Based)

Predator Orion for Most BMW (LED Based)

Both kits are nearly identical with the difference being that the Chromiums use a CCFL ring with ballasts and the Orions use an LED based ring with no ballasts. We are also releasing an Orion V2 along side the current version of Orion which features more high output LEDs.

#6 ·
Thanks Nick. I'm currently considering the Orion - what's different about the V2? Also, if I understand correctly, I need to have my DRL's turned off or else the Angel Eyes will be on with the DRL's also? Wow, that would be disgustingly ugly. Anyone know if there's a way to do this somewhere other than the dealer? I have a feeling my local Bimmer dealership will either try to charge me several hundred dollars for this, or tell me to go f*ck myself.

definitely recommend doing it.... IMHO it looks really good... i'm assuming your CI is pre facelift so that means you dont need to bake ur headlights... installation will be really easy, you just have to remove some clips
Yep, pre-facelift ('02). I'm not actually that huge on the look of them on a stock car (mine is still stock atm) but they're cheap and easy to install :)

#4 ·
definitely recommend doing it.... IMHO it looks really good... i'm assuming your CI is pre facelift so that means you dont need to bake ur headlights... installation will be really easy, you just have to remove some clips

#12 ·
I just skimmed through so someone may have addressed your DRL question. The DRLs are independent of the halos, one doesn't have anything to do with the other. If you have the DRLs turned on, many people (and I would too) have them turned off when adding angel eyes.

LEDs seem to be the new thing with halos, it's a simpler install and a more robust system.

/Moved.

#15 ·
not a stupid question

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I've spoken with a mechanic here in the GTA and I think he knows how to wire the angel eyes in such a way that they would replace the DRLs. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of guys do it that way.

If you live in the GTA, talk to Rocco at RMP Motors. If you check the e46toronto.ca forum, he has a forum there as one of the sponsors.

#18 ·
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I've spoken with a mechanic here in the GTA and I think he knows how to wire the angel eyes in such a way that they would replace the DRLs. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of guys do it that way.

If you live in the GTA, talk to Rocco at RMP Motors. If you check the e46toronto.ca forum, he has a forum there as one of the sponsors.
Thanks dude, I'm actually in Victoria but I'll have to call around about that. Failing that, I'll go for the ghetto resistor mod :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.