E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Shifter bushing overhaul without removing driveshaft?

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Aussigazza 
#1 ·
See this thread and seems very detailed.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Shift_Bushings/E36-Shift_Bushings.htm

But that was for E36, seems there are some minor difference (the E46's gearshift rod joint, some call it coupler, uses a ring instead of a clip to secure the pin)

Has anyone done this job with the driveshaft on the car ?
In this DIY (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=832908) the OP removed a lot of stuff in order to remove the driveshaft, looks a bit scary.

#3 ·
Looking to do the same thing. Going to keep stock shifter for now but replace all bushings etc in that tech article. I'll probably use teflon bushings like UUC's wherever I can.

#4 ·
I ordered a kit from pelican parts, all OE replacement bushings. I'll try to keep the stock shifter but I don't know if my shifter is still in good shape. Read somewhere discussing about the E60 545i shifter lever but worrying if it would hurt the tranny.

are you going to remove the exhaust/heat shield/shaft for the job or not?
I would appreciate if you could post some updates after you've done the job

#5 · (Edited)
Not sure what I might remove or when I'll be getting this done. I havn't ordered any parts yet. I'm in the research/contemplation stage HaHa Trying to figure out best plan/parts/cost etc.

Edited to say: P.S. the second link in your original post takes me to a thread about removing scratches from center console.

#6 ·
Just to let you know. I rebuilt my entire shifter assembly without removing the exhaust or driveshaft. It takes patience though HaHa I'd recommend getting one of those small mirrors that pivot around on the end of an extendable stalk. Helped to be able to see how everything is put together with the little mirror.

Good luck!

#8 ·
I don't remember how much time it took because while I was doing that I was also replacing my front control arm bushings and tweaking some other stuff with the car. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it does take patience. Using the guide and doing the research made it much easier. The only thing I regret is getting teflon shifter bushings. Wish I would have stuck with OEM. They caused a lot of play in my shifter and I had to take things back apart, insert washers and grind down the teflon bushings to fix the slop created by them.:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.