E46 Fanatics Forum banner

I've Had it with Harman Kardon

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Delirium 
#1 ·
I have my in my apt a harman kardon receiver that kicks ass spits out the highest quality sound with cambridge soundworks speakers. But i can't stand the system in my car, i know the receiver is not harman kardon but what gives, the quality of the harman kardon system in my 03 330ci sucks ass.

I was recently an ML320 that had a bose system and the rocked, it was clear, and loud. Now what gives with the 330Ci, I have the Navigation is that the problem, could it be the speakers themselves? What is it? I need to replace it, what do you guys think. Do i have to replace the all the speakers and receiver or is one specific component the problem, please let me know. Thanks

#2 ·
It's not the head unit...that's great. It's the HK speakers & amp...they stink.

#4 ·
A friend of mine recommended just buying a high end Amp. He said that should make a significant improvement. What do you guys think?

#6 ·
problem is i have NAV, head unit has to stay

If i get satellite Radio will the sound improv signifcantly since I am not going through the BMW NAV

#7 ·
Then I think you might have no choice but to suffer with weak muffled sound.. I changed my HU first & the sound was 100% better. Louder & clearer. But not as nice as I want it, so I am going to upgrade the speakers. But in my past I have noticed that a good HU makes a world of difference.

#8 ·
If you want to save some $$$...

change the amp FIRST. Listen to your system for a couple of weeks and then decide if the SQ is good enough.

If you're still not happy after upgrading the amp, I'd probably change the front speakers with a component set. I'm a big fan of Diamond Audio Hex, but I've heard good reviews of Focal, A/D/S, MB Quart.

I'd leave the back speakers alone because they're usually used for rear fill.

Good luck.
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.