E46 Fanatics Forum banner

So I love my car but...Would you drop up to 4k into it?

7K views 57 replies 44 participants last post by  Andy2108 
#1 ·
Ok so I love my E46 330ci Stick but, I still have about 4-5more years left to pay it off and will probably wind up being upside down if I continue to pay minimum payments... Like I said I love my E46 and the mileage isn't that High it's only at I think 80k.
But the question that has been running through my mind is well I want to mod it more but with all the mods I want to do to it will end up being about 4k! Ya! It is an expensive hobby which I understand but I'm trying to think

Would you drop 4k into a car that well is only worth 8-9k in this market?
As well if you would what would you do first...I figure I can pay it off within a year if I don't do anything to it mod wise...Or I can just well get rid of it and upgrade...to an E92 or well maybe one of those nice 135's...

I guess what I'm really thinking is will my E46 last me for another 8 years?

Thanks for you input guys!:thumbsup:

#4 ·
you friend sound wise. no i prob wouldn't do the mods right now. Especially if your making payments and are already concerned about what you will get out of it in the back end. Cars depreciate rapidly thats all there is to it, mods or not. From my own experience i dropped about 8k in mine last spring and still need about another 4k just to get it halfway where i want it. I'll never get that money back out of the car.

#5 ·
People spend unreasonable amounts of money on things that make them happy, regardless of potential payback or added value (Google: Las Vegas vacations). If spending that kind of scratch on your car makes you happy, then do it. :)

However, if you're in the position that you have to ask if you can afford it... then you can't. Those heavily-modded cars you see in magazines and driving around are owned by people with gobs of disposable income. And you're dreaming of keeping up with them on your salary...?? Having to make payments on the car... never mind minimum payments... is your biggest clue. :tsk:

Pay down your loan and in a couple-three years, you can make a more intelligent decsion as to which way you'll want to go... :woot:

#7 ·
People spend unreasonable amounts of money on things that make them happy, regardless of potential payback or added value (Google: Las Vegas vacations). If spending that kind of scratch on your car makes you happy, then do it. :)
I agree with that part. Modding helps me keep my sanity during the times of stress. Do what you can when you can. It'll get there eventually. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I'm on the same boat but first, the most important thing to do is to pay this car off.

I can't imagine dropping money into mods while you are still making payments on the ride and you can't predict what is going to need some attention in the nearest future (regular maintenance).

Trust me, even though this 80k miles is not that high, you will end up dropping some money in the car just to make it drive.

You have to know what you want and can afford.
Just because you want to go for a newer model doesn't mean you will not spend money for the maintenance and surprises (unless you lease, but then you don't really own the car).

#11 ·
One thing to remember is that MOD money is throw away money. You're not gonna make it back if you decide to sell the car so if that's your concern then don't do it.

If you plan on keeping the car a long time then it's simply a matter of personal taste. Basically, if the mods make you happy then cost isn't an issue. Over the course of 6 years I've put more into my car than it is currently worth but I have no plans on getting rid of it and I love how it looks and love how it drives so I'm happy with having spent the money.

#12 ·
You also have to consider cost of replacement.

#13 · (Edited)
I think your state of mind says it all. Even if you go ahead and drop 4k worth of mods into that car, the fact that you'll be bleeding to death (financially) will just take the pleasure out of it. If you have limited funds available, first and foremost is maintenance and second is selective modding. Write everything down and try to figure out which mods will make the most difference vs money spent and keep with that. And remember less is more, subtle mods can make a world of difference. This way you can keep your mod gods happy without agonizing about how much money you've spent.

In regards to your second question, I can't see any reason why that car shouldn't last another few good years without major maintenance needed, you drive a stick and that's half your problems away. I suppose there'll always be a point where your car is just getting old and you want to upgrade but that's for you to decide, plus that comes with additional heavy costs as someone pointed above.

#15 ·
Great Advice!

Well after some heavy consideration and thinking I have decided to keep the car!

Reason that I have decided to keep it is well that I love the car and consider myself lucky to even own it...I'm 18 years old...

I realize that well I make only about 1k a month and my car payment isn't that big...but I can pay my car off within a year if I really want...Which I think I will do along with some lil mods here and there:4ngie:
But in all reality I'm 18 years old I have to pay for college myself, and soon to be rent:bawling:

I figure that in 2 years my car will be payed off I will have my car looking EXACTLY the way I want it to by then...I'll be 19-20years old my insurance will go down...and I will have NO car payments plus a sick car! As well half the money that I recieve from checks goes into savings. So by the time I'm 20 years old my car will be payed off..insurance will be down I'll most likely have my AA degree and possible be able to find a better paying job...So when I can truly afford it buy a Brand new Euro-Delivery 135i!

All in all I'll upgrade when I can truly afford it...till then I drive a pretty nice car for the age of 18.:thumbsup:

Oh and for the guy who asked, how I still have 4-5more years it's actually 4 now..but when I bought my carlast year the economy was just starting to go crap! And well I payed a lil more then expected:facepalm: but hey it has all the options I want!:thumbsup:

#23 ·
I agree on paying off the car, but you won't be able to resist modding so do it moderately. In my case, I've already dumped a lot of money into my car just for maintenance and upkeeping so by default, it's gonna be a long long long term keeper, which is therefore, worth spending more time and money on. =]

#25 ·
I did this last year. I have about 86K on my '01, so it got a new cooling system, shocks/springs, brakes, tune up and filters, BSW speakers and ipod dock, bluetooth interface, and more. Plus, I replaced all those OEM parts that were worn out. I've always kept my rides in good tune to last many years, although I know the cost is high. Even though I know the costs would never be recovered, I choose mods that'll make my ride more enjoyable, or to keep the car in good running shape. I've always logged maintenance actions, so I know what has been done, and when. Bottom line--I still have a blast driving this thing, I haven't gotten the itch to but new, and no reason to buy used since I know what I have now. My other daily driver has 240K, and I expect this car to surpass that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.