E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ZHP Suspension refresh: Koni STR.t or H&R cup kit?

19K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  KxRome 
#1 ·
Whats up guys. It's been a while since I've put any money into mods on my ZHP, so I figured it was about time to give her a gift :) I'm looking to refresh the suspension, but I'm on a budget. I want OEM quality, lower ride height, and most of all: longevity.

KONI is having their annual sale and I can pick up a full set of STR.t's for $338 shipped! I'm thinking of pairing them up with some H&R race springs or Eibachs. What do you guys think of this setup?

My other choice is the H&R Cup Kit I've heard great things about but Im not sure if I need to spend the extra cash when I can get the KONI's for cheaper.

Also, what else am I going to need for the install? Mounts, bushings ect? My ZHP is at 71.5k miles now and I plan on DIY'ing this myself.

Let me know what route you guys think I should go.

Thanks

#4 ·
I just received my warranty replacement STR T from Koni this week. Installed with Eibach Sportlines in April 2011. Front two are blown. Fingers crossed these replacement last longer.

Overall ride quality if is good. Stiffer than OEM Sport. Hindsight I wouldve gotten the yellows.

#5 ·
I installed an H&R Cupkit on my ZHP in Fall 2010 and it has been a great setup so far. A bit stiffer than stock sport suspension, but still very comfortable on my 18" winter setup. Ride is on the firm side with my summer 19's, but that is to be expected. I don't know much about Koni's paired with H&R or Eibachs, just wanted to share my thoughts on the Cupkit.

#9 · (Edited)
yeah. The stance is perfect and it would be even better on rims, but I can't justify spending 1500 on rims and tires for a car worth maybe 6k? HAHAHA. At least she still drives nice.

You'll enjoy the setup. Our roads here in San Diego are terrible and could be a major contributing factor in the accelerated wear. I'd reccomend replacing the upper strut mounts and adding the strut mount reinforcement plates while you're at it. Cheap effective insurance.

BTW, the sportlines give an uneven rake. I had to pull both top and bottom rear spring pads. A little noise once in a while but the stance is much better than with both pads installed.

#12 ·
Our roads here in San Diego are terrible and could be a major contributing factor in the accelerated wear. I'd recommend replacing the upper strut mounts and adding the strut mount reinforcement plates while you're at it. Cheap effective insurance.
This is one of my fears relating to my upcoming suspension refresh. I split my time between San Diego and Prescott Arizona. I would challenge a man to find two places with worse average road conditions. I'm strongly considering the STR.T and I would love to lower my car but I already scrape all over the place when I'm in Arizona and driving on surface streets in San Diego is quite a chore when trying to negotiate potholes and cracks. Not to mention I drive around 20k a year.

#10 ·
I was going to post that I love my H&R cup kit... good luck with your new setup.

#15 ·
I finally installed the replacement str.t's (as well as front sway bar bushings, endlinks, strut tower reinforcement plates, fcabs and new bumpstops). The driver strut was blown and was the cause of my bottoming out. Not obvious when out of the car but I'm sure it'll show itself on the dyno. The replacement right front strut was installed and turned out to have a loose spring perch. Had to reinstall the old strut (which wasn't terribly bad).

Contacted Koni this morning and they're sending out another strut to replace the "replacement" and have taken care of return shipping. Koni has been great and the car feels exponentially better (primarily because of the strut and the FCABS)

I'll keep you posted.

#19 ·
Just curious as to where do u see the sale as i'm waiting for a good deal for my shock+strut refresh. Txs.

#20 ·
Sorry for my question ..never mind .. This is an old thread ..

#23 ·
What is the brand of mounts?

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App

#26 ·
Koni STR's

I had a pretty bad experience with my Koni STR's after 6 months of being on the car the back struts turned into one solid piece of rust (granted it was a bad winter) none the less the quality of paint on the STR's is unbelievably low. I'm curious if anyone else had any similar problems?:hmm:

#27 ·
I had a pretty bad experience with my Koni STR's after 6 months of being on the car the back struts turned into one solid piece of rust (granted it was a bad winter) none the less the quality of paint on the STR's is unbelievably low. I'm curious if anyone else had any similar problems?:hmm:
I've had them on both my touring and my sedan with H&R Sports.

Initial ride was great and quite comfortable, but the paint is terrible as above and after almost 3 years they are now all blown. I'm currently replacing them with Bilstein sports.

I'll probably send the Koni's in for warranty replacement and then will sell them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.