E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My search for more NA power (Dyno time)

272K views 1K replies 109 participants last post by  radichev 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to start this thread to document where I'm going with my car. I'm a big fan of dyno results versus butt-dyno feeling. I like to make sure I get some bang out of my buck. Hopefully this thread will give people some reference when they are looking for NA mods.

If you have any good solid before/after dynos (corrected numbers) feel free to post them with an explanation. I'll start off by posting what I have so far....

#1,007 ·
Why are people sh1tting on this thread? It's all ready back to stock and Brady's moved on to an Evo VIII?

No one cares if you can make numbers with FI...that's already been shown by parties numbering in the thousands. N/A is something that isn't considered all that often and Brady made a choice. Get over it and stop trying to make suggestions. No one cares what you have to say about a topic that has come and gone.

#1,008 ·
Read

Thanks for the reply Jared, you made good sense. Now Vicious, I've already replied to Zander with the same reply I oughtta' give you. Read the first sentence I wrote in the first post I submitted so that it makes sense to your little brain. You know, when I first joined this forum I was really happy, and I felt comfortable because I knew I was part of something that shares the same passion I do. People I could talk to as much as I wanted to about what I love, cars. But it seems like instead of sharing our opinions, all I see is competition in seeing who holds more knowledge- and frankly, it's getting out of hand and it's stupid. This sucks, some of you need to grow up. That or I just need to find a better forum. Thanks for being mature, Jared.

#1,011 · (Edited)
Wow, everyone having a bad day...:rofl:

Honestly, FI makes way more sense than N/A unless you plan on tracking the car. Like UDM said, you'll spend similar money trying to stay N/A and make much less power than you will just slapping a supercharger on it. That being said, we all know why we are here, there are still good reasons for staying N/A. (even if that reason is simply the desire to achieve a goal) and though we are a small number, I feel we are doing a great service to the community by creating these libraries of information on the net.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood from installing Brady's Schrick cams this past weekend. :thumbup:

#1,013 ·
Let's all play nice, people.

I'm sort of a dork. I like to do things in an odd way. I know full well that I could have made more power for less with a superchager. This was a lot of fun, though. I was making close to ///M power without any extra weight under the hood of my car. Would I do it again? No. Not until there is an easy way for us to tune our own cars and I learn to weld. Tig is pricey and blew my budget on things.

With the Evo, I really want to run the crap out of the stock turbo. I know I could get huge gains by putting a bigger turbo on, but that's just not what I like. I blew 3 small turbos by overboosting them in my Talon because I didn't want to deal with lag and loss of low end. Of course, then I stubbornly upgraded to something slightly larger and loved it, but still... :)

I am REALLY enjoying the BMW back to stock. It's so smooth and quiet. I feel like an old man. If I ran into some money right now, I'd be happy to slap on a charger or a TT turbo kit with a quiet exhaust. But I'm not going to run into money.

#1,014 · (Edited)
They are pretty sweet!

I have a whole DIY that I am almost done editing and then will post up in the next few days.

The car is definitely faster, the only thing is that I'm sure I'm not getting close to the power level the cams are capable of producing in my engine. I feel some dead spots now as the revs climb which makes me think the computer is going haywire pulling timing and dumping fuel and who knows what else. I have a feeling that in the M54b30 which already has significantly longer duration and higher lift cams to begin with(than the M52tub28), the software can cope better with the bigger cams. This is probably why Shrick does not advertise the 264's as compatible with the M52tu. Its just too big a jump for the software. I also have no doubt that Randy Mueller at Epic will be able to fix this with an updated tune and the car will be making great numbers.

#1,015 ·
Yeah after I installed mine I've noticed zero hiccups.. Some very very solid gains up top on the butt dyno ... I feel like I'm leaving a lot of hp on the table having my redline at 6.5k :( also I have a great feeling there's a lot of potential from a solid dyno tune to take advantage of the headers and cams.. Honestly my goal is 250 rwhp.. I don't have an aftermarket exhaust so could anyone tell me that with my current mods a aftermarket exhaust could pick up with some ponies? I'm sort of out of options for making more n/a hp which I don't want to swap out for 272's too big of a headache and with the idle issues I hear about..

#1,023 ·
#1,030 ·
Well, technically I went from a turbo mitsu to a twin turbo Nissan to a borrower Volvo to the bimmer. I've just come full circle. You learn to do a lot when your eyes are bigger ham your wallet. I can do twice as much when I do it myself. More rewarding, too.

#1,040 ·
After driving the evo for a few days I got into the e46 to take my son to school. Felt like a boat in comparison.

I still like my 330, but this
Car is fuuuuuun

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Good luck with your new ride. :thumbup:

#1,041 · (Edited)
Thanks. Now that I have a backup I can do some work on the e46 that I've needed to do. I have a pesky vac leak and I need to remove the IM to find it. Hoping I can get started on that soon. I actually have a pretty good list of things to fix:

Vacuum Leak on IM
Replace SAP mounts
Replace A, B, C pillars
Fix Sunroof
Fix passenger's door lock

I also have some fun things planned for this summer for the old girl. She has to last me another 4 years or so. I'm not giving up on her.

I got the pads changed a couple weeks ago, that was nice. Thanks BimmerBrakes!

#1,043 ·
330ci

Engine mods are:
M54B30 engine (320 000 km)
head cut to 11:1 static compression ratio after gasket revision
Siemens MS43
Cold Air Intake K&N air filter
Aftermarket sport exhaust manifold (Supersprint t304 copy)
Post-cat o2 sensors software delete
Regrinded camshafts with S50B30US profile:
- 252*/10.2mm lift intake camshaft (240*/9.7mm stock)
- 244*/9.7mm lift exhaust camshaft (228/9.0mm stock)
Reduced engine coolant temperature ~ 90 C (ECU controlled)
M30B28 flywheel with single mass clutch for M5 E34, 3.07 LSD
Max engine speed: 7100 rpm (6500 rpm stock)
232whp/301wNm (max 234 whp/ 304 wNm) @ wheels, 100 octane, 28+ degrees Celsius otside, 950Hpa air pressure, before adaptation (after 150+km computer adapts ignition timing up to +20-25 Nm under 3000rpm and up to 3-5Hp up top)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.