E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bimmian - never again

5K views 49 replies 33 participants last post by  blkonblk 
#1 ·
I have had the platinumvision bulbs installed for sometime now as well as the xenon lookalike interiors from Bimmian. Detailing my car out the other day I find the bulb has melted my taillight... upon looking at the interior light covers I found these were melted also. As you can guess I was very angered by this and contacted Bimmian... here is our conversation below :

me: I purchased your platinumvisions for both front and rear turn
signals as well as reverse indicators. I also went ahead and purchased the
matching xenon-look interior bulbs.

Yesterday, when washing my car I find that the rear indicators have melted a
huge spot on my taillight lense. I became suspicious and looked a the
interior lights and found that both the drivers and passenger side lense
covers for the floor lights are melted as well and have burn marks.

I hope you can understand why I have contacted you. I love the look the
lights have provided, but now I have a very ugly mark the size of a half
dollar on my rear lense that is going to cost me about $60 to replace.

While you cannot see the melted areas for the inside bulbs this still is not
right and I will be getting these replaced also.

What solution do you have for this problem?

Bimmian: Hey Steve,
What kind of solution did you have in mind?
Some bulbs are not compatible with some electrical systems. Mine have been
in for over a year without a problem. About 5% of the people we have been
dealing with are having some sort of over heating problems. We are working
towards getting lower wattage xenons but its been hard to find a good
supplier. Let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Aaron

me: Well basically I did not expect this to ever happen. If you advertise these
bulbs for my model car then I would never think this to ever happen.

My problem now is I have a very ugly passengar taillight cover on my M3
trunk as well as two bulb covers for the driver and passenger leg room light
that are melted all the way through. If I didn't catch this then who knows
what could have happened.

I'm up for suggestions - I love the interior xenons as well as the
exteriors, but this melting problem cannot be happening. Now I am stuck
trying to order three parts that are more than likely going to be tough to
get a hold off and not very cheap.

As I mentioned 5W xenons that provide the same illumination as the 10W are
nearly impossible to find. The compatibility should be checked before
installation. For instance all trunk bulbs take 10w bulbs. And hence they
don't have problems. The license plate bulbs only have problems in certain
situations (when they are 5W). Obviously your vehicles configuration cannot
sustain such high wattage bulbs. It would be advisable to replace the bulbs
with your stock bulbs again. The lenses can be ordered right from the BMW
dealership.

me: Now back to the part where you FIX this situation. Obviously you have known
about these problems yet you still offer the bulbs for sale on your website
advertising they work fine with no issues. Your products have ruined my
taillight cover, both license plate light covers, and two interior covers
via melting. Who knows what could have happened if I didn't catch this as
soon as I did.

Is it me or are you recommending I take the loss on your product and the
replacement parts and go back to stock as I was before purchasing your
defective product? Basically ending up around $150 and much time later the
way I was in the beginning.

What are you going to do to fix the situation or are you planning on doing
nothing?

We cannot replace your light covers. I have had my bulbs installed for more
than a year without a problem. It is rare that we get complaints about this
problem. So I can only speculate when I say our warnings and suggestions
found in the instruction sheet were not heeded by these people. We cannot
be held liable for any misuse of the bulbs. The covers can be replaced MUCH
cheaper than $150. Just go to your dealership parts department and ask them
about it. I can't see those replacements being more than $15.
Thanks,
Aaron

---------------
I didn't know that you could misuse bulbs :thumbdwn: The parts are going to run $40 and about $5 each for 4 small covers then add in the bimmian bulbs which I will not be using anymore... quickly adds up to a decent amount only to end up stock before all this happened.

Notice how it appears that it is my fault the lights melted as the wattage cannot be handled by the car yet they offer these lights as a product for e46 M3's on their site! They also did not offer to refund the money, pay for the new lenses, nothing.

I am not very happy about this at all and will never deal with Bimmian again. Its bad enough products are taking months to show up at peoples doors and this kind of service just adds to it.

If 5% of people are having problems then that is something that should be noted. Also, if you are selling bulbs for peoples car knowing they run at a higher wattage and have the capability of melting then this should also be noted to the customer.

NOTE : This is just a personal experience I have had and wanted to make the members on this board aware of. Also, I do not want to see other members who have these bulbs end up in the same situation. Check your light covers if you have these installed!

see pics below :

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm glad I didn't get any of the exterior bulbs from them. I had the xenon interior ones...and the foot well light cases both melted. I had to spend $50 to replace both coverings. Now, I'm trying to find some alternative w/lower wattage to replace them. The stock lights just doesn't give the awe affect.

#5 ·
There's been so many threads about these Bimmian "xenon" interior bulbs, but I've never heard about the indicators before. They should pull out those 10W "xenon" bulbs off their shelves. I can't believe they are still selling those POS.

Also, that 5% figure of ppl having the same problem is also BS. I'm sure it's more like 95% who installed these bulbs on their license plate, foot well and indicators.

IF YOU BOUGHT THESE LIGHTS, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THEM NOW!!! I'll bet some of them have already caused damage to the plastic in your light housings.

#8 · (Edited)
This same issue was just covered in a recent thread.

I looked on Bimmians website to see how the bulbs are advertised, and I have to agree here, there IS something wrong.
I stand behind the belief that once you begin to mod your car, you are the one who accepts the outcome.
In this situation it seems bimmian has, in the least, been misleading and in the worst actually caused the problem of melting parts.

I misspoke on the previous threads where I expressed my belief that the owner takes the responsibilty for this light mod issue. I was under the misstaken impression that the light bulb change was due to people wanting brighter lights, thus this would be higher wattage bulbs. Higher wattage bulbs always run the risk of potentially melting something.
However, after looking on bimmians website, I see that the lights are not advertised as being "brighter", due to higher wattage and such, but rather they are advertised to change the way things "look" in terms of color.
Thus, if bimmian is using bulbs of a higher wattage, then they certainly don't state that on the website. Do they note/state this on any instructions sheet when the bulbs arrive? Even so, this should be noted on the website so that people can decide before ordering.

Have you checked the wattage of the bulbs sent by bimmian?
Are some of the bulbs, especially in the melted areas, of a higher wattage than stock? If so, then bimmian should state this somewhere. I don't find it on their website. They could at least have a precautionary statement telling the modder to check the bulb wattage for compatibility. At least then the owner has to take responsibility for using them.

"Bimmian: Hey Steve,
As I mentioned 5W xenons that provide the same illumination as the 10W are
nearly impossible to find. The compatibility should be checked before
installation. For instance all trunk bulbs take 10w bulbs. And hence they
don't have problems. The license plate bulbs only have problems in certain
situations (when they are 5W). Obviously your vehicles configuration cannot
sustain such high wattage bulbs. It would be advisable to replace the bulbs
with your stock bulbs again. The lenses can be ordered right from the BMW
dealership."

This reponse appears to admit to using a different wattage bulb than what stock is. To say that "obviously your vehicles configuration can not sustain such high wattage bulbs." is an attempt to dismiss at least some responsibility by tryign to imply that something about the car is not compatible with their bulbs. Well, if you sell bulbs then shouldn't you make sure they are compatible with the vehicle they are intended for? I think so.

If they have subsituted a higher wattage bulb for use in an area that uses a lower wattage bulb, then I would certainly expect them to take some of the blame for this issue as they didn't indicate, on their website, that they've done this.
They sell parts for BMW, so what do they mean by "your cars configuration"?
If there is such a configuration problem, then was doesn't bimmian know this or address it on their website?

In the least, bimmian should refund the purchase price of the bulbs, even the bulbs that don't pose a problem. If the bulbs were sold a s a "kit" then they should work as a "kit", one and all or none.

It's too bad this has happened.

TT

#11 ·
More about Bimmian

Hi I am new to this site....I see alot of talk about bimmian on here and i just thought I would share what happened with me.

I ordered Plat. Vision xeon bulbs...all 6, Brake handle,Foot pedals, gauge rings,and roundels...about $300 worth of stuff.....It took over 6 weeks for me to get the stuff! Ian and Aaron were both a-holes about it...Telling me it would ship soon...stringing me along...Then I get the package they sent me the wrong bulbs for my car...They then told me sh!t happens....

I will never order stuff from them agian...and I hope you do the same....

on a good note
I recived great service from Matt at umnitza mult. times
Thanks for leting me vent.

#13 ·
5% sounds inaccurate to me based on the amount of posts regarding this topic. 5% of total bulb sales maybe? I wonder what the percentage is for E46s. If they aren't "compatible" with E46s then they should not be offered for them. I can't believe they are blaming the customer and not offering any kind of compensation. I also can't believe that Ian has disappeared from the forums since these issues (bulbs and paint) have arrived. In the past I was a strong supporter of Bimmian. but after all these problems people have been having, no apparent attempt to correct them, and no official response to the board, I do not think I will be purchasing from them again. nor will i be recommending them to my friends anymore. this is sad :sad:

#16 ·
AWESOME! Great product with great customer service I see!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

you should file small claims and sue for the damages (doesnt require a lawyer, only some paperwork, and the fact that you did it wil make them replace what they ruined) Totally unacceptable, and this is not the first time they have had this issue.

Also, for the forum, the right thing to do would be to question their sponsorship, if this is the way the company is going to treat their customers. (Imagine if something caught fire?)

#22 ·
HAHAHHAHAHAHHA LOLOLOL:spit:

I just had a good laugh....If you go to the sponsors tab, and look at Bimmian, it says "Personalizing Perfection".......Should be more like "Personalizing Fuking Up People's Cars". Or i got a better slogan, "Bimmian: Highway Robbery and K-Mart Quality".

#24 ·
RichP said:
AWESOME! Great product with great customer service I see!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

you should file small claims and sue for the damages (doesnt require a lawyer, only some paperwork, and the fact that you did it wil make them replace what they ruined) Totally unacceptable, and this is not the first time they have had this issue.

Also, for the forum, the right thing to do would be to question their sponsorship, if this is the way the company is going to treat their customers. (Imagine if something caught fire?)
(Imagine if something caught fire?) = exactly what I was thinking could happen!

#25 ·
Glad I didn't buy any bulbs or lenses. I did buy roundels that are supposedly laser cut, but look like they were cut with a bottle cap and a butter knife. I quote, "They must have been cut with a bad blade." How are they laser cut, if there was a bad blade involved? Ordered an M3 lip spoiler on 12 May 03. Still don't have it- cancelled order today. Ordered DDEs- preassembled and didn't work. Wired incorrectly and a bad bulb. Cannon plugs melted on both boxes- waiting for replacements. Not an experience I want to go thru every time with them. Business relationship w/ Bimmian is done, finito, zilch, nada, auf weidersehn. Good luck to all those that continue to purchase from them.

#26 ·
Because not everybody gets bad treatment from bimmian.
I ordered my guage rings from them with NO problems what so ever.
The cost is very reasonable compared to what you may even pay on ebay.
And, my rings were sent quickly, packaged nicely and no problems at all.
Not every transaction is bad.
It's usually the bad transactions that get talked about the most. The good ones just go by day to day and no one says anything.

TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.