E46 Fanatics Forum banner

[VIC] Cruise - Save the date! - 27th Oct - Great Alpine Road

24K views 180 replies 30 participants last post by  netgun 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, planning the next cruise.

This one is quite a few months away, due to snow/icy conditions, I do not want to lead a bunch of cars up here and risk anything.
So hopefully around the end of October, things have warmed up abit!

This is a 10 HOUR round trip with NO STOPS.

For anyone that has been up this way, please provide feedback on places to eat, pit stops or great locations for photo shoot's, looking at Google images, this road seems SPECTACULAR.

I have heard feathertop is AWESOME and may be great for a photoshoot.

This will turn into a big day, so a early start is needed and preparation.
We have approximately 3 months so start saving for those new tyres, coilover's, upgrades etc now!

Date/times/route is FLEXIBLE and open to suggestions!

Meet Point: Fawkner Mcdonalds. Corner of Mahoneys Rd & Hume Hwy
Meet Time: 4AM (YES 4AM)
Leave Time: 4.30

Break 1.
Myrtleford
Approx 3hour drive from start point.

In between Pit Stops & Lunch Breaks to be discussed and updated

End Point.
Barnsdale (6.5 hours from start point continuous)

Return Home Via Princes Highway

Current Route Proposal CLICK HERE

I shall leave you with some teasters of this road below, hopefully it may entice more fanatics to get out than the Great Ocean Road!

Please post below if you are interested as usual and feel free to comment, suggest! :thumbsup:

1. Selien
2. JS330
3. Kstrooch
4. Shook
5. GJA003

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
:excited:

I've only been as far as Dinner Plain on this route which I have to tell you is stunning (especially in winter) but can offer a few suggestions already. Going outside of the ski season means we can forget chains and indeed potential park entry fee issues (though they don't apply if you just pass thru). They use number plate cameras at the boundaries to work out if you've done this.

We should take a short cut near Glenrowan and exit the Hume Fwy there (a bit before Wangaratta) just past the big twin service centres (Maccas). This is C522 - Glenrowan to Myrtleford Road. Goes thru Milawa (famous for its cheese and chicken among other things). This cuts about 20-25 mins off the trip. It meets the Great Alpine Road just west of Myrtleford. Sticking to the speed limit will be especially important on this shortcut.

We can top up 98 octane fuel at the twin service centres, at Myrtleford or at Bright. I understand the next fuel possible stop which is Omeo does not have 98 but I could be wrong. I've not been there yet but I understand the drop down into there is awesome as told to me by a local when I was last up there in August 2011. There are two service stations in Bright that sell 98. This is about 3 hours into the trip so it would probably be the safer (though more $$) top up point.

Bright has an excellent bakery that I've stopped at numerous times, it's right on the main street. There is also a great brewery there but I expect we'll be thru there before it opens (11am).

Photo shoot wise. Assuming the weather is compliant we should do a shoot in the large carpark located a km or so before Hotham Central just near the reservoir that is adjacent to top of the Heavenly quad chairlift. This (gravel) car park is at around 1840m and has a stunning rugged mountain backdrop (including Mt Feathertop) as far as the eye can see. Unless the ski season dies hard we should still have snow caps in the background here and probably snow drifts about the summit area of the ski resort. There is a shear drop of well over 1000m behind the car park! :)

As the photos show, the climb into Hotham from Harrietville is just awesome. Once you get out onto the open ridges the road alignment is just insane. Whoever designed this road had driving bliss in mind. The drive from Hotham thru Dinner Plain and onward before the drop into Omeo is mostly straight and flat despite the fact you're over 1500m above sea level. It's a nice pleasant cruise surrounded by snow gums and cold cold air! ;)

Perhaps lunch in Omeo? Not sure.

Anyway the Great Alpine Road is the highest publicly accessible road in the country and is definitely one of the greatest roads we have. Should be a long but very enjoyable day.

#33 ·
For those that didn't see it elsewhere, Top Gear did some driving while they were down here last, nominating Australia's Greatest Driving roads. Most of them were in Victoria (GOR, Black Spur, Lake Mountain) and of course the Great Alpine Road.

They took a pretty nice shot of one of the best parts of the high altitude section. There's some other shots following too.

http://preview.topgear.com/au/photos/australias-best-driving-roads?imageNo=20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.