E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  das_autobahn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#15,183 ·
All black or all chrome IMO.
Yeah, I can see how you might say that; however, I prefer to be different than others. And since the car is all black with small parts of chrome trim, I chose to go this route to match the rest of the car. It's a subtle change, but I really like it, and have yet to see anyone else with similar grilles.

#15,184 · (Edited)
Yeah, I can see how you might say that; however, I prefer to be different than others. And since the car is all black with small parts of chrome trim, I chose to go this route to match the rest of the car. It's a subtle change, but I really like it, and have yet to see anyone else with similar grilles.
Eh there's about 7,483 people that have done this already. It's also how the E9X 328 comes stock according to this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526341

I am glad you like them, but "to be different" isn't a good reason to modify your car. To each his own!

#15,186 ·
Eh there's about 7,483 people that have done this already. It's also how the E9X 328 comes stock according to this thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526341

I am glad you like them, but "to be different" isn't a good reason to modify your car. To each his own!
I'm glad to see that it looks good enough to be put standard on the E9X. I didn't say that nobody had done it. I simply said that I HADN'T seen any like it.

And please tell me why individuality isn't a good enough reason for you. I believe that a car is an extension of who you are as a person. So why would I want mine to be like another's?

#15,187 ·
I'm glad to see that it looks good enough to be put standard on the E9X. I didn't say that nobody had done it. I simply said that I HADN'T seen any like it.

And please tell me why individuality isn't a good enough reason for you. I believe that a car is an extension of who you are as a person. So why would I want mine to be like another's?
To address your question, you said you mod your car "to be different from the others."

I think modding should be done because it looks good and is functional. I know you think it looks good, so that should have been your reasoning, and not "to be different from everybody else" :)

When I think of people who mod their cars simply for the sake of being "different," I think of stancers. Then I think about how they are the same as all the other stancers.

And I never said that you said nobody has never done it--because you never said that.

I think it flows well with the E9X and not the E46.

#15,188 · (Edited)
To address your question, you said you mod your car "to be different from the others."

I think modding should be done because it looks good and is functional. I know you think it looks good, so that should have been your reasoning, and not "to be different from everybody else" :)

When I think of people who mod their cars simply for the sake of being "different," I think of stancers. Then I think about how they are the same as all the other stancers.

And I never said that you said nobody has never done it--because you never said that.

I think it flows well with the E9X and not the E46.
Good points. I personally would not have done this if my car wasn't already black. I believe it flows better than other e46s because of the color of the rest of the car. I think a good thing to keep in mind is a quote that I tend to recite quite often.

"You're unique, just like everybody else"

You're right in saying that I did it because I thought it looked good, not "to be different". That makes more sense and I should have worded it that way.

#15,189 ·
Good points. I personally would not have done this if my car wasn't already black. I believe it flows better than other e46s because of the color of the rest of the car. I think a good thing to keep in mind is a quote that I tend to recite quite often.

"You're unique, just like everybody else"

You're right in saying that I did it because I thought it looked good, not "to be different". That makes more sense and I should have worded it that way.
Yeah. I never said it looked bad--because it doesn't. I just personally think the chrome slats gives it more appearance/presence.

I used to have black grills (I might give them away) but went back to stock.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=918180

#15,190 · (Edited)
Agreed. I never understood why people think that "being different" should overrule actually looking good or functioning. Maybe it's different because nobody thinks it looks good...

The other thing is the people here are a small select group of people, so yes you may have something similar to them but in reality you might be unique in your area. For example out of all the e46's I've seen in person around my area, I seen CSL wheels once and have never seen a CSL trunk. Go to the showroom here and it's the standard. I probably could find a car club and see more but again that is a select group of people that I might never see day to day.

#15,192 ·
Agreed. I never understood why people think that "being different" should overrule actually looking good or functioning. Maybe it's different because nobody thinks it looks good...

The other thing is the people here are a small select group of people, so yes you may have something similar to them but in reality you might be unique in your area. For example out of all the e46's I've seen in person around my area, I seen CSL wheels once and have never seen a CSL trunk. Go to the showroom here and it's the standard. I probably could find a car club and see more but again that is a select group of people that I might never see day to day.
I have yet to see another clean E46 in my area. I plan to be the only one. Hahaha. The CSL wheels are overplayed in the showroom but there isn't a car within 50 miles of me that has them.

#15,193 ·
I have yet to see another clean E46 in my area. I plan to be the only one. Hahaha. The CSL wheels are overplayed in the showroom but there isn't a car within 50 miles of me that has them.
When I moved back to CT about 4 years ago, my car was the only one with CSL wheels. Now I see them everywhere. I'm actually tempted to get something different that still looks good and more original

#15,194 ·
I like it, pretty subtle IMHO but the haters can't help themselves.

#15,195 · (Edited)

Precisely, what criteria must it meet other than"I felt like it" or " I liked the look". Are there rules to be followed oh great Mango? What are these parameters for stylistic discretion that we should all adhere to? If you said all or nothing I'd have more respect for you, but your position is closer to some subjective observation of your own, typically defended through adaptation of some citation of dubious online expertise followed by insults. You only like the sound of your own squeak, or that of yours and those whose blue and white noses polish your sphincter. ;)

Mod on mod lovers. Haters hate because they know nothing else but to do, so childishly.

#15,196 ·
I think modding should be done because it looks good and is functional.
"Looks good" is a judgement that is 100% subjective... Or are we all to defer to your own preferences of stylish vs tacky? And when is paint ever affecting functionality?

You like what you like and you like to insult others tastes to make yourself look/feel good and then when challenged on it attempt to back up your claims with false evidence. You also criticize performance mods and dismiss out of hand with no real evidence (see M3 suspension thread on homepage). Mostly you hang out in a thread where people are encouraged to share the latest things they've done to their cars and pass judgement like some imperious bore. Just keep in mind, most people do not care what you think one way or the other, in fact, some of us love it when we do things that people like you are bound to hate. :)