E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Socal General Chat

27M views 244K replies 611 participants last post by  Bali 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Version 2.0 of the Socal General Chat thread. Enjoy!

The E46Fanatics Team

#188,881 ·
Traditionally, first birthdays are big deal for Korean families
Because back in the day when infant mortality was really high, it was a big deal for a baby to survive long enough to celebrate the first birthday
Even today, I think chances of staying alive increases exponentially if a baby makes it one year

Do you celebrate something like quincenera?

[bimmerapp]
you could put the thoudsands spent on that party the kid will never remember and put it in a trust fund they can actually USE later in life.

#188,882 ·
It's more for the family and friends
Obviously
But the baby receives a lot of gifts

Traditionally, koreans give 24kt gold rings and bracelets and charms (usually a golden pig for luck)
All that can be melted and remade into something else ... or sold for cash later

Unfortunately, gold price is so high that not too many people still give gold stuff for the baby
It used to be so easy for me
Half "don" (1.875gram) 24kt ring used to cost $40-50
It made for a very nice gift and I didn't have to think about what the heck to buy
Now the same thing costs almost $200

All the people who had babies more than a few years ago and received a gold ring from me made money just hanging onto it

[bimmerapp]

#188,896 ·
Because a hispanic person at the birthday commented how it's smart to throw a big bash and get it out of the way ... because a quincenera can get really expensive as well

[bimmerapp]
We do but I doubt we'll do one for our daughter. Prob save the money for college

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.