E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Verts and radar detectors

3K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Charlescrs6 
#1 ·
Ok guys. Where do u guys mount your radar detectors. Particularly, those of u with hidden setups.
Those that just suction cup it on, or clip it to the front by the lights. Not interested.
I'm curious as I want a V1 and I'm wondering after the stealth display is put in, where does the main unit go, is there a way to mount it where it can't be seen or stolen when the top is down.

Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
Yes, the antenna needs a line of sight of the road to work properly. That's with any detector so it will still be out in the open. I would just run a hardwire up from the center console through the a pillar to where the drivers sunvisor is. Then with the cable there you can mount the detector up high and take it down when not being used.

Btw, the V1 is the best. Period.

#13 ·
I have mine hardwired, but I use the StealthOne, which shows the alerts on my Nav screen. So, I put the V1 high up on the windshield but to the right of the rear view mirror because I don't have to see it. BTW, V1 now sells a module that basically does the same thing.

#25 ·
Hey Snik, I need to show you my setup. Easy to hide here in VA but not too complicated to install. I put my V1 between the passenger seat headrest and the seat. Just lowered the headrest down to make it snug. Good forward and rear visibility. I have the V1 remote unit in my ashtray. It's a clean install but easily removable to move to another car. Only drawback is reduced forward sensitivity when there is a passenger. I'm by myself in the car 80% of the time so it's better than no detector at all.

I'll snap and post some picts tomorrow.

#26 ·
When you move the seatback forward for rear access, does the headrest automatically lowering want to smoosh your V1?

Radarmirror has an install for the rear head rest, but that's not possible with our roll bar rear headrests in our convertibles.

I've thought of doing the same in the front passenger seat headrest, but haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.