E46 Fanatics Forum banner

which bmw scanner can help sloved my problem?

11K views 73 replies 20 participants last post by  morningisbad 
#1 ·
Today i start my car and went inside my house for 10minutes, when i came out my car service engine soon light was on, wth i ask myself, i recently change oil on my car and it been a few thousand mile without problem. I try to resetting the miles back to 15525 on the dashboard and reset the service engine soon light but the service engine soon light didn't go away. I drove the car for 300 miles, i check the remaining miles on my car and it was still at 15525, the miles 15525 didn't even drop after i drive 300 miles after i reset it. Not sure what is going on, so I try to disconnect the battery but when i got to the battery, i can't even disconnect the negative wire that is hook up onto the battery terminal where the negative is hook up too. I know after you loosen the nuts on the negative wire terminal you should be able to pull the negative wire off the battery but that wasn't my case, it was stuck like hell, i pull so hard and almost got my battery ruined, the battery plastic around the battery terminal almost broke off and came out a bit of battery grease. I stop and used a hammer to bang it back down, lucky my car still started or else i'll be paying for a new $200 battery. Worst day ever, i can't even take out my battery. So i need a bmw scanner that can scan and reset my service engine soon light or read the code and tell me what wrong with my car. I went to autozone to get a code read but they bs and say they no longer do that. Which bmw scanner do you guys recommend that will help fix my problem?

See less See more
#4 ·
For a simple SES light, I went the 'cheap' way, I bought a blue tooth 'dongle' off ebay for about $12 & down loaded torque lite app for my droid. pair the two, pull code(s), clear code(s) goggle code. Works on my '01 540i, '05 330cic, '96 Z71 truck & wifes '04 Trailblazer. Very simple & cheap. Can also read several items on the car like O2 voltage, coolant temp, RPM's, Speed......
You can go cheap or exspensive, pick your choice.

#5 ·
Carsoft is a cheap one and widely available. Others like INPA , DIS are a bit more expensive and a bit difficult to run. they also need a bit more knowledge to use properly .

I would recommend to get DIS out of all , large variety of features , clear detection of problems and easy to use .

BTW, you can NOT reset check engine light without a diagnostic tool. Disconnecting a battery wont do it, no pressing of any buttons will do it. Just so you know.

#7 ·
If you have a iPhone and want to use a scan app you will have to buy a OBD II dongle that transmits in WIFI, they run about $28 on eBay. I found out the hard way when I bought the cheaper $12 Bluetooth dongle, it did not work with my iPhone 4. It does work with the android though.

Willie

#21 ·
There are codes that are proprietary to BMW's only, and a regular OBDII II scanner will not read them, or it will give you the wrong code.
That would be why there are scanners made specifically for BMW's. You can reset an SES light, but for certain codes, this will not give you the correct information.

#11 ·
No one recommending BMW scanner 1.4?
OP, if you are looking for a simple to use and easy to understand and set-up scanner buy a BMW scanner 1.4. You can change settings and code your car accordingly as well. Comes from China for $32, takes a little time. Else buy the same from US seller for a little higher price. There is a long thread on the BMW scanner.
DIS, carsoft, INPA are great but a pain to setup and higher chances of messing up if you dont know what you are doing.

For you current problem, go to autozone or such and ask them to read/clear code. They will do it for free.
Also, battery will cost you $100 not $200. At autozone 49DL is the model number, if you dont have a convertible.

#25 ·
Boy, a lot of information being posted on the scanner. It would nice if one of you guys could post showing ALL the scanners, with pros & cons and showing the approx. cost for each & what it will or will not do, all on one post. Sure would make it easier for me to evaluate. BTW, thanks to all the posters on this subject. It's really good info.

#26 · (Edited)
I use all three; BMW scanner 1.4, INPA, generic OBD II scanner. But my favorite is BMW scanner 1.4 for general usage.

BMW scanner 1.4

Pros:
Cheap($32 if you buy it from China)
Easy interface, Less chance of messing up.
Read and translate BMW specific codes.
Codes that the generic OBD reader cant read can be read.
Reset the codes.
Airbag light reset.
Live data.
Coding of DMS, EWS, LKM, whatever module you can think of. eg: Xenon flash from halogen lights, DRL disable, euro hazards, one touch window operation, door lock at particular speed, automatic lock disable, alarm coding, many more..... you get the idea.
Can read every little module present in your car separately. Eg: ABS, heated mirror, NAV, heated seats, etc.....

Cons:
Chinese made hence, not original(original is $650)
If you buy from china, takes a long time to ship. Hence I bought it off a US seller(paying more than $32 to xcar360).
No customer support or manual.
Hassle if you have to return it back.
Need a 20-pin adapter to work with Pre2000 cars.
A bit confusing to set up on a 64-bit operating system.

INPA:

pros:
can do everything stated above and more. Like changing the DME software, Transmission software.
Very powerful
Cheap(can be had for around $35 with the softwares and cable, and just modified vag-com cable only can be had for $10)
A little more instructions available over the internet forums on how to use it.

cons:
command based, hence not intuitive at all.
Setting up a computer with this would make one go crazy if they dont know what they are doing.
You can do a lot of damage if you dont know what you are doing.

Generic OBD tool:

pro:
works on all OBDII cars.
Check engine light reading and clearing.
Available in any auto parts store. (costs around $15 to whatever you can imagine)

Cons:
Not BMW specific codes.
Doesnt read anything else but the SES light.
Costs almost as much as BMW scanner.

If you plan to change settings and read BMW specific codes for your car without the risk of messing up, BMW scanner is the best bet.
Else you can get generic OBDII readers.
If you are more adventurous, get INPA.

All three costs almost the same, but INPA and BMW scanner are immensely powerful than generic OBDII scanner.

As with all other parts, there is a chance you get a non functioning module. Doesnt mean its useless. Of course, over the course of time I have received numerous items that were not working, but I dont ask people not to buy it because I received a non functioning one. Your choice, you get what you pay for and decide how much time you are going to spend to use/learn it.
With INPA, its cheap and very powerful but you will need a lot of time to set it up, and learn how to use it.
With Generic OBDII, its just plug and play.
BMW scanner is right in the middle of those two.
Your choice.

Also OP, get your codes scanned. Just resetting the code wont do squat. Find why the light was triggered.

#31 ·
Launch CReader VI is my first go to tool for any ODB car. I have a bunch of tools, some stand along and some computer based. I even have a Peake Reader but do not use this often because it cannot display real time data.

If you shop the CReader VI a bit, you might be able to get for under $100 off shore.

I think I scored mine on ebay for $84 as I recall.

Color display, on tool graphing, on tool recording, real time data, fast & simple.

As far as the graphing and recording, it is a bit limited, but no other handheld in this price range gives you this many features that I am aware of?

+1 for the Launch CReader VI, I keep this one handy and use it first before I drag out my other tools.

If I had less than $150 on scan tools for a BMW, I would buy a Launch CReader VI and a the BMW Scanner 1.4.0, far superior and cheaper than the Peake, you can do coding, airbag reset and read BMW specific codes with the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 and the CReader does not require you to dig out your computer for the first crack at your issues.

#35 ·
Make sure it is a CReader VI and not the CReader V!

Where did you find it for $62, this is a deal for this tool!

#36 ·
I found the $62 one, the ebay one is already at $40 and it has over 4 days of time on the auction, it will likely go for over $100??

The $62 one is from Asia, but it is worth it.

Hopefully the seller is legit and will get the unit shipped quickly, but most of the take 12-16 days from Asia?

Get the Launch and this - http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-V1-4...id=1358647839&sr=8-2&keywords=bmw+scanner+1.4

For under $100 you have the best set up for the price.

#46 ·
Do they have BMW specific scanners at Autozone? Because their OBDII scanners can only read a few generic codes, not the BMW specific codes. Your advice may work for other cars, but not for BMW's. They are able to clear the codes, but that does not help much. Did you not ever wonder why there are so many BMW specific scanners mentioned on these forums? You can read them FOR FREE.

#49 ·
Answer is simple.
BMW scanner 1.4 with a 20-pin to OBD adapter(because you have the round plug under the hood).

As for code readers - no one mentioned Autoenginuity. Kind of pricey at $250 for the laptop app but comprehensive and GREAT support. For an additional $230 they sell the BMW expansion kit that will read chassis codes such as airbag and ABS that the OBD II sensors can't. True BMW 1.4.0 will do it for much less money. It's probably worth the risk for the average DIYer. If you're a hard core enthusiast though, think of the AutoEnginuity system as equivalent to the price of a pair of rear tires for an M3.
It is a wonderful software I heard, but BMW scanner 1.4(at least the replica) is a good portable program for starters. There is INPA, DIS, NCSexpert that can be setup for even cheaper, but are a chore to install and very dangerous to use if you dont know what you are doing.

#48 ·
As for code readers - no one mentioned Autoenginuity. Kind of pricey at $250 for the laptop app but comprehensive and GREAT support. For an additional $230 they sell the BMW expansion kit that will read chassis codes such as airbag and ABS that the OBD II sensors can't. True BMW 1.4.0 will do it for much less money. It's probably worth the risk for the average DIYer. If you're a hard core enthusiast though, think of the AutoEnginuity system as equivalent to the price of a pair of rear tires for an M3.

#57 ·
That's the INPA cable. You can use that cable with more advanced tools like INPA, NCSexpert, ediabas.
If that cable comes with the softwares and guide then its a good value. Else it can be have for as low as $13 from US seller without the softwares.

#64 ·
Man, Amazon pricing is all over the mat at times. The BMW Scanner 1.4.0 that was under $30 last time I checked is now over $75!

As for why 2 scanners.

You need real times data and BMW Scanner does not always give that to you, in addition BMW Scanner cannot log or graph, the CReaderVI can graph on the tool, maybe not the greatest, but does graph.

Also you can keep the CReader in the car, not computer needed, and when you get a CEL come on, you can pop it in, check and clear the code as needed when your laptop is still at home.

Also the CReader has a pretty good code look up built into it and it works on all OBD cars, not just certain year BMW's.

For the money they spend on these 2 tools, less than $100, blows the Peake Reader out of the water as the BMW Scanner can also code modules and read and clear airbag faults as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.