E46 Fanatics Forum banner

!! E46 M3 EBAY Header DYNO Tested !!

96K views 150 replies 83 participants last post by  tinman831 
#1 · (Edited)
Installed headers on Dec 28th, I drove the car over 200 miles and finally scheduled an appointment to get my car dyno'd at SP Engineering.

Installation was a breeze, Header lined up w/ ease. Longer studs were not needed since I purchased new OEM gaskets took about 3hours to do everything including welding the o2 simulator in and extending the o2 sensor harness.

I do not have software. Only mods are BMC filter, Streamline arm, Ebay header... EVERYTHING else is stock.

Went into dyno and the results are as follows...

My Car | 78,000 Miles | Black Ceramic coated header ordered from Ebay
Bone Stock: Max POWER= 258.8 | Max TORQUE= 229.7
BMC + Streamline arm + Ebay header: Max POWER= 279.6 | Max TORQUE= 235.4

Edzilla's car | 45,000 Miles | JVT header ordered from SP Engineering
Gruppe M intake, Gruppe M Muffler, Ebay header: Max POWER= 291.2 | Max TORQUE= 242.3

Video of Edzilla's dyno run - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3JB9kL2Ww

Maximum gain of 24.5hp and 18.5trq at the wheels from 6500rpm-8000 rpms give or take 2-3hp.

Average gain of 20hp and 13trq at the wheels all the way through the powerband.

I could not compare my previous run from the last time I dynoed b/c I have removed my Eisen Sec2 and Eisen Race Muffler. So for most consistant comparison I overlayed it w/ my bone stock run.

So for about $250 you can have an extra 20-25 horses to the wheels. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::shiftdriv

See less See more
#32 ·
nice. i gotta get headers/.

#34 ·
Sounds clips of your car, or does it not sound any different in sound.

Sorry i'm a performance mod noob!

#39 ·
You can build an O2 sim for this car. I figured it out a while back and was going to sell it, but decided to just give away the info. search for my thread and you will get complete details to get rid of the SES light.

The numbers he posted up are probably Dyno Dynamics Twin Retarder numbers.. its known as the "heartbreaker" but the truth is that if you compare trap times with the numbers the Dyno is actually lower than actual numbers.

Usually people will get around 240-250 on that dyno and 270-280 on most others like mustang/dynojet/etc.. His numbers are right on, its the gain thats the most impressive.

I had similar gains with all my mods, even without tuning i went from 280RWHP stock to 307 RWHP with headers/intake/pullies/coils/flywheel. I also run the ebay headers.

for install details search my DIY thread on m3forum.com... i might have posted here as well.

If you know what you are doing, you can install them yourself.. or be prepared to spend around $350 to get them installed because its a tedious job.

Great Numbers bro!!! Now its time for a tune!

#43 ·
So what would it take to get these past CA smog. If I weld in aftermarket cats would it get me through a easy going smog station?

#50 ·
What does "Made of high quality ceramic" mean?

#51 ·
how is it that these are so cheap and supersprint's are so so much more. their has to be a reason. I wouldnt trust these for a second. We didnt cheap out when we bought our cars so i know Im not going to cheap out on the parts. just my .02

#53 ·
here is my analogy:
buy a pair of nike shoes for $100. they are made of leather and rubber

buy a pair of walmart shoes for $25. thet are also made of leather and rubber.

the nikes might look bettter, and be lighter, or more fashionable, or trendy. The walmart shoes will get you from point a to point b, and probably not last as long, but they will keep you from going barefoot.
So in summary, they both perform the same general function, however those who pay more for their "nike" headers feel like they have a better product because they paid more for it. Only time will tell if there is a significant difference in build quality. But for $100, I could buy 8 sets of headers just to be safe. Installation would be the same, since I would do it myself.

So make your own mind up, but in the end, they are metal pipes. if the performance is the same, and the cost is 10x higher, it is hard to justify the expense in my mind, unless you need to be an elitest.....

#58 ·
HiRide is correct about the Dyno Dynamics. We had both a Dynojet AND a Dyno Dyamics at my old shop. Dyno Dynamics Dyno's usually read about 15% less than typical Dynojet Dyno's.

You might ask, why did I have both dyno's? Simple, the Dynojet was only a 2WD dyno...and I had a lot of customers with WRX/EVO/S4/Skyline's...so I ended up purchasing a Dynamics Dyno which can be used for either AWD or 2WD. We just never got rid of the Dynojet so we had a direct comparison between the two.

#60 ·
never heard of this material "MADE OF 100% HIGH QUALITY BLACK CERAMIC COAT."

I would think they would be made of stainless steel and would have a CERAMIC COAT.:banghead:

regardless seems like a deal hope someone can report the long term results .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.