E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Help w/ Winter Maintenance - Cooling System/Belts/Tensioners/Vanos

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sbocaj55 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone-

Over winter break I'm going to take advantage of a heated garage and get some serious (and probably overdue!) maintenance done on my 330 coupe. My main concern right now is knowing which tensioners/pulleys to buy. My car squeals on cold starts, and my a/c also squeals sometimes, so I'm going to change both tensioners, deflection pulley, and belts.

I like to get my parts from Tischer. I'm looking under Maintenance & Lubrication -->Engine Service-->Belts & Pulleys. Under Serpentine tensioner there is a "tensioner" for $54, a mechanical serpentine tensioner for $67 and a hydraulic serpentine tensioner for $87. I did a bit of searching online, but am still confused which I need for my 2001 330 :eek:

For the belts it says serpentine and serpentine alternator. One is $20 and one is $30...so I guess one is the accessory one and one is the serpentine?

The rest of my shopping list includes:
Thermostat w/ housing
water pump
upper and lower radiator hoses
expansion tank
radiator cap
engine drain plug crush ring
lower hose temp sensor
1gallon BMW coolant
Oil
Filter
pcv valve
Besian Systems Double-vanos seal kit.

So far I'm sitting at about $500 in stuff. :bawling: but I am over 100k and these things should be done. Anyone think of anything else I should do while I'm elbows deep in this fugger? And if anybody could please help my sorry arse with the pulley confusion and shed some light, that would be :thumbsup:

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah I saw that. I even priced out the pieces individually on their site and it comes out to like $305...so they charge like $10 for shipping which isn't bad at all. I'm picking up a new water pump from someone else for $60 so I'll probably just order everything in the kit BUT the pump.

I'm most concerned about which tensioners/belts...:hmm:

Where in PA you from?

#7 ·
Thanks, guys. After talking with Evan at Tischer I got the following part numbers:

11281437475, alt belt
11287841228, deflection pulley
11281748131, adj pulley
11281717188, hydraulic tensioner
11281433571, ac tensioner
11281437450, ac belt

Just figured I would post them up to add to the database.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Im doing pretty much the same thing...
Watch when you change the coolant.. I drained mine and when I filled it up again it started leaking... and the car is parked outside because it should have been a simple DIY.... now 2 days later the whole cooling system is off and its f... ing cold as ..... to work outside... :(

#9 ·
^sucks man. Did you forget to reconnect some hoses or drain plugs? Kinda reminds me of the time I started putting oil in my engine before I put the drain plug back on...or the time I changed my rotors, pads, and painted my calipers...and forgot to tighten the carrier bolts all the way :eek:

Every time I rush something, I make a mistake...so I've learned to take things slow. No need to impress anybody! Luckily I'm going to be bumming a bay in my friend's heated shop :p Working in the cold is no fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.