E46 Fanatics Forum banner

e46 323i build for NASA PT "E"

11K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  Rob43 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently I am building a 323i to compete in NASA's Performance Touring (PT) Series E class (Great Lakes Region). PT works on a points based system. Each car starts in a particular class. Modifications are assigned points and 20 points moves you into the next class. There is also a HP/Weight ratio limit for each class. Stock the 323 is assigned to the F class with 7 points. Here is the proposed list of points the car will accumulate in the build:

PTF +7 (the 323 is assigned 7 points right out the gate)
Air intake +1
Bumpsteer kit +2
Header +2
Cat Removal +1 (because the header removes the cat I take this hit as well)
Electric Fan +1
Differential +3
Springs +2
Shocks +3
Swaybars +2
Front bumper +3 (ouch :()
Total: 27 (13 remaining)

I have moved up into the E class by 7 points. However, I have not added the points for tires. I am still trying to determine what I want to use but my potentials are:

Nitto NT-01
Hankook C51
Hankook RS-3

Leaning more towards the first 2 and use the 3rd as a test tire.

This is what the car looked like during the track days:

And this is how is currently sits:

And other pictures of the progress:

AKG Poly bushing with aluminum motor mounts/transmission mounts. Aluminum suspension mounts are +3 points. Poly are +0, same with metal motor/transmission mounts.

Ground Control bump steer kit (+2) and Adjustable rear perches (+0)

Interior being gutted:

Some rollbar that got installed while I had the car in Germany.

And no more supercharger (will be for sale :D)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have the rear end almost back together (just need the brakes, springs, and shocks to go in). I just realized I didn't get any pictures of the bushing installed and the subframe being reinstalled.

Shots of the interior (still in progress):

I don't like the only way the back brace will fit the Corbeau seat. That location is where the bolt hole is for the seat, but the brace would fit nicely between the harness holes. May consider a new seat.

And my Master Battery Switch and Radio delete for the car:

I just wrapped the radio delete in a carbon fiber wrap. Drilled a hole and made a cover for the master switch.

I just received this in the mail today!

And scales:

ISC Race suspension. Roughly a 560 lb/in spring rate. 1 way adjustable dampers. I could use upto 2 way adjustable without acquiring additional points. However, the 1 ways were significantly more affordable.

More to come! The goal is to have the car finished by February, test in March, and the first race will be at Mid-Ohio in April.

I am certainly glad I chose to build the car myself. I am not an engineer and doing this has forced many to buy many books, read many articles, and devote many hours to learning to principles and processes that go into building a race car.

#6 ·
The cage is in. I ordered a Kirk bolt in from BimmerWorld. With the PT class you must have a cage that abides by NASA CCR which is a 6 point. And that is it. Any additional bars or chassis attachment points will dock you points (+2 per attachment).

#8 ·
Unsure. But the door bars must be welded in. The cage is well constructed. I am not entirely concerned about whether it is a weld-in or bolt-in cage. Even after seeing the pictures of the mustang whose rollbar (no cage installed) pushed through.

#12 ·
Posting a few updates as progress has been made. I feel as though I am behind because the weather has been absolutely horrible. Good thing is the car is down on the ground, has been driven around the parking lot and got its first weight.

Bought some OBX pulleys (cheap). Easy to install and fit nicely:

Fidanza flywheel next to the stock flywheel. The weight difference was significant:

Flywheel installed:

Solid motor mounts installed:

Finally on the ground:

The interior is almost complete:

White Brakes behind the black rims. I like this look, but keeping it clean will be additional chore. Worth it :thumbup:

The tow vehicle finally got a hitch:

While I had a down day because of the snow I organized the tools I will take to the track:

The first weighing of the car had it at 3058 with driver. The competition weight is 3153. After that first weight I removed the A/C and installed the lightweight flywheel. I am hoping to be somewhere around 150lbs below weight. I will make that up with ballast. Next on the list is the doorbars. Those need to be welded in. I can finally start setting it up! Get the weights correct, find out my CG, and move on from there.

Certainly trying to get it together to get it the first race in April at Mid-Ohio. It will be untested when it arrives (sounds fun :eeps:).

#14 · (Edited)
I agree. Right now replacing the bumper is not feasible. And with the point structure of PT the best and largest are often in competition against themselves. For example a 235 NT-01 is 11 points which is over half of the class points. A 225 NT-01 is worth 8. And a 245 RS-3 is worth 9. Is the 245 RS-3 faster than a 225 NT-01. I don't know and I am sure that is highly dependent on the driver. Right now, I will have to take the hit for the bumper and try and make up for the lack of points somewhere else.

Do you run in NASA?

#21 ·
If you're still getting used to the car and/or honing your own experience (I don't know how much track time you have), street tires certainly aren't a bad thing. They'll "talk" more than a slick before they lose grip, allowing you to more easily learn where the edge is.

#22 ·
:read:
Yup

I can't believe you are sacrificing 3 points for a non-functional race part! Certainly the ZHP/CF lip doesn't help with braking and turn-in due to downforce does it? Hopefully by the time you are running slicks that bumper will be a stock one and then you can (if points allow) do more to the car and become more competitive. Love the build, I am going to be keeping up with the thread, I'd like to see how the car does in the future.

#25 · (Edited)
Limited. Video and 10hz GPS. The rules dont allow any engine parameters to be pulled for tele. The good thing with the GPS it is accurate enough to pick up braking and accel points. Even can see unconscious movement like slight lifts, etc.

The software is RaceChrono (in car) and Race Logic Performance Box (analysis).

#27 ·
New wheels and tires. Decided to go with Hankook C51s (225/40/18).

Also set the weights with 5 gallons of fuel. 3153 is the min comp weight. So at 6.2 lbs per gallon I am right there. Added 206 lbs of ballast. Essentially it all sits in spare tire area. Had to get that weight to the rear. Would like to better left/right ratio. I will see if I can get it today.

Attachments

#30 ·
Messed around with the weights today to try and get a better balance. Here is what I achieved:

I am satisfied with this. Unsure I will get it much better (aside from crossweight). I will readjust it tomorrow according to the track I hope it will arrive at this weekend.

The ballast installed:

#31 ·
I haven't updated for awhile but the car is completed and has been in 4 races so far. Here is the car the way it sits now:

Also, I just snatched my first win at PittRace. Crazy weekend as the showers were on/off. On Saturday I took the pole for the entire Performance Touring group and ran home with the win for my class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUuY5iqdeM

On Sunday I started second. Qualifying sucked as I thought we were the first run group while the track was still wet. Well being out on my wet set (Conti DWs) while everyone else was on slicks I was quickly falling behind. The race Sunday started out good until something broke in the car (clutch or transmission). I will find out hopefully tomorrow. The car was having trouble going into gear on Saturday and the problem extended into Sunday as you can see within the first lap. I was catching 1st place (Green Integra) but things went south around the 13:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaE7eG3-qCQ&feature=youtu.be

#33 · (Edited)
I don't really understand your wheel & tire size choice, 245/40-17 is where I'd wanna be,.....unless this is a rule book issue. Not to mention a slightly better gear ratio with is combo.

EDIT: I hear a lot of tire "Chatter" at turn in & mid apex, what hot PSI do they come in at ?

Good luck,
Rob43

#35 · (Edited)
It is a rule thing. They class my with a stock 215 size so moving up costs points. The tire type also costs points also. A 245 would move me to another class. My tires alone cost me 11 points. I could do 245s but I cant find a stock matching bumper.:ben:

It sucks. It seems like unless you are miata you are gonna get screwed. Most miatas start with a 225/235 base class. Everyone is around 600 lbs (at least) lighter than me. I am considering a move to GTS.

Also I havent done gears yet because I could never get a response from anyone regarding if they would work with my quaife. And I wasnt able to get hot psi/temps.

#38 ·
They are classed by treadwear with some exceptions. Everyone, except me, runs Hoosier R6. I am on the Hankook C51. I have yet to see anything other than the R6. Even in the wet some are on Hoosier H20s. Others use star specs, and R888s. I use Conti DWs.

#43 ·
Looking forward to video from Mid-Ohio, as that is my local track. What camber are you running up front? The most I could get out of the car without plates was -2.0, but it is still eating up the outside edge of the front driver's tire. I'm currently running a summer performance (BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2). I'm not sure what tires to get next, as there are a couple options for 225/45/17's.

#46 · (Edited)
2.5 would be great, but I need to buy camber plates to get more than 2. I'm definitely rolling the front left past the triangle wear bars. The car is on H&R race springs and Koni yellow struts with stock sway bars. I need to bring a laser thermometer and something to mark the roll points on the tires (white out?) when I go back up in two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.