E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#13,205 · (Edited)
Changed out my old EBC front "Green Stuff" brake pads for a new set, replaced my old PIAA silicone wiper blades and my purchased a new fuel filter and a fuel pressure regulator. Should be able to install both fuel parts on Wednesday afternoon.
The filter and regulator should be one part. Anyway, buy some new fuel hose (1-2 ft) with that because you will probably have to destroy the old ones to get them off. Also get hose clamps. Go to the parts store and get 5/16" (7.9mm) internal diameter FUEL INJECTOR hose. Do not get regular fuel line. Me and the guy at the store were talking about the pressure in the line (50 psi). He was not okay with using regular fuel line at that pressure and neither was I. Also pick up some new clamps that fit the hose. The stock BMW clamps are stupid.

#13,206 ·
Just did my cooling system overhaul. Not a bad DIY, but the expansion tank was a b!tch. I can't understand how two o-rings can have that much grip on plastic.

I don't know how old the water pump and expansion tank and upper and lower hoses were that I replaced but they look to be in excellent condition so if anyone needs an emergency spare, let me know.

Next project is the fabric on the "B" pillars. If they come out better than the "A" and "C" pilllars, I'm going to re-cover them as I'm trying a different adhesive. If they come out like crap, I'm just going to bite the bullet and order all new ones.

#13,207 ·
The filter and regulator should be one part. Anyway, buy some new fuel hose (1-2 ft) with that because you will probably have to destroy the old ones to get them off. Also get hose clamps. Go to the parts store and get 5/16" (7.9mm) internal diameter FUEL INJECTOR hose. Do not get regular fuel line. Me and the guy at the store were talking about the pressure in the line (50 psi). He was not okay with using regular fuel line at that pressure and neither was I. Also pick up some new clamps that fit the hose. The stock BMW clamps are stupid.
When I replaced my fuel filter, it looked like the hex heads on the clamp screws weren't symmetrical. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like they need a special socket. When I got my filter, the parts guy threw in new hose clamps and a length of the correct hose for the fuel lines.

#13,208 ·
When I replaced my fuel filter, it looked like the hex heads on the clamp screws weren't symmetrical. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like they need a special socket. When I got my filter, the parts guy threw in new hose clamps and a length of the correct hose for the fuel lines.
Correct. They are a stupid design. You have to use pliers to retighten them. You can loosen them with a flathead but the bolt is designed so it can only be turned counterclockwise with a flathead (stupid). It's the most infuriating simple thing I've ever seen. There is absolutely no reason for these retarded clamps. Whoever specified them ought to be shot.

#13,209 ·
Correct. They are a stupid design. You have to use pliers to retighten them. You can loosen them with a flathead but the bolt is designed so it can only be turned counterclockwise with a flathead (stupid). It's the most infuriating simple thing I've ever seen. There is absolutely no reason for these retarded clamps. Whoever specified them ought to be shot.
I believe they're one time use clamps not designed to be re-used. You can see the safety aspect of it. Replacing fuel filter and they don't want you reusing old rusty weak clamps only to leak gas all over the hot exhaust area. Just cut them off. no biggy. need to be replaced anyway

#13,212 ·
Me too TR. I stripped, clayed, and waxed my car. i should post pictures and a wax review.

I used this:

Amazon.com - Collinite 845 insulator wax

My friend who does pro detailing recommended this to me. Apparently, it's extremely durable and rock hard for super long-term. I'm told it's good up to two years and again is extremely extremely tough.

Paint feels so awesomely slippery and shines bright like a diamond.

#13,214 ·
Me too TR. I stripped, clayed, and waxed my car. i should post pictures and a wax review.

I used this:

Amazon.com - Collinite 845 insulator wax

My friend who does pro detailing recommended this to me. Apparently, it's extremely durable and rock hard for super long-term. I'm told it's good up to two years and again is extremely extremely tough.

Paint feels so awesomely slippery and shines bright like a diamond.

:thumbsup:

I just used a regular hose and car wash soap.
3m clay bar.
turtle wax compound to polish.
And going to use meguirar's carnabura wax.

I have a lot left in them, so may be after they are done I will switch the one you recommended. It surely looks nice though.

#13,215 ·
:thumbsup:

I just used a regular hose and car wash soap.
3m clay bar.
turtle wax compound to polish.
And going to use meguirar's carnabura wax.

I have a lot left in them, so may be after they are done I will switch the one you recommended. It surely looks nice though.
Yep my friend says to stay away from auto parts store stuff. figured why not try something good for a change. i also use chemical guys hybrid v7 spray wax/sealant.

Amazon.com - Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant

#13,216 ·
All i do is wash car, wax twice a year( which is only 6 months in saskatchewan)with meguires in between use (forgot brand name) spray on wax. F&$in awesome stuff. Car looks great. I like to have it look good but how much time does it take to clay, polish, then wax. And have basically same look unless your eyeball is touching car? ( not against it just asking)

#13,218 ·
All i do is wash car, wax twice a year( which is only 6 months in saskatchewan)with meguires in between use (forgot brand name) spray on wax. F&$in awesome stuff. Car looks great. I like to have it look good but how much time does it take to clay, polish, then wax. And have basically same look unless your eyeball is touching car? ( not against it just asking)

A wash/cut/polish/wax job is an all day thing for sure. It will be noticable from a distance. If you do it right it's like a mirror. Look at your paint now and I am sure there are swirl marks. You don't do this often. It's best to do this once, then keep a good sealant and wax over the good paint plus treating it well. That way you don't have to do this but maybe a handful of times while you own the car.

#13,219 ·
Clay makes a big difference. You think your car looks clean to the touch but when you clay it after a year, the clay bar ends up a different color (even if your paint is smooth to the touch) truth is so much stuff just sticks to the surface not visible to the naked eye. a compromised finish is one that doesn't reflect well and won't be as smooth. it's worth it!