E46 Fanatics Forum banner
51K views 301 replies 111 participants last post by  Das Stig 
#1 ·
I saw a thread for college students who own e46's, what about highschool students who own E46s Ehhhh?

my E46: 2003 325xi touring 5 speed.
Mods:
-headers
-angel eyes
-roof racks
-3.46 Diffs

#221 ·
I don't have a problem with parents buying BMWs (the regular ones) for their kids. They are very safe cars. I have a problem with parents buying things like an M3, Shelby GT350, G37 coupes, etc. When parents buy their kids a performance car, that shows how irresponsible they are (and short sighted). I haven't seen a kid with one of those cars make it more than a few years without something major happening to it. A 330 is about the fastest thing I would ever want someone under 20 driving.

#228 ·
I seriously dont understand whats wrong with the fact that someone younger owns an e46. Most of us care and baby our e46's. We (most of us) dont rice them out or destroy the meaning of an e46. I just find it hard to accept the fact that you guys complain about younger people driving your car. Im 17 and have a 330ci...there i said it finally. BUT i pay for everything. My parents dont give me a dime to use. So that means i actually bought it, pay maintenance, mods, insurance, gas, and anything else. That pretty much covers what all you guys bash on us for. I enjoy being on the forums and learning about my e46 more and more everyday. So, what is the big problem? Seriously.

#230 ·
There is no problem.
For me I think it's great that younger people save and work hard for their car. It's what I did, I was a little older than you (19) , working and going to college.

But it does get kind of annoying (no offense) hearing people go on and on about how they bought their car with their money. It's just like "okay, so did 99.999% of people".

The other thing that gets me annoyed is the snotty kids who get everything handed to them.

All in all. There is no problem these guys are just giving y'all shit. Kinda like when you're "the new guy" in a group.

#229 · (Edited)
^You may not realize it, but you're one of the rare few and for that I commend you.

We have a problem with it because most of the time when we see a high school kid with a BMW they mod the piss out of it, don't maintain it, don't pay for it and it ends up on CL half dead (I've bought a car from a high school kid before and it was nearly unsalvageable). The other problem is that when people are handed things they often don't appreciate what they have, being that you payed for your car you don't have this problem. People under 21 also generally like to think that because they have a BMW they're speed racer or are somehow better than their peers. Also, just about EVERY kid will eventually get in some form of an accident with their first car, so why ruin a nice BMW?

#232 ·
You know, something I did, and I'll thank my mom forever for, is as soon as I turned 18, she started helping me build my credit. I think that's the best thing a parent can do is teaching their kids about credit. Because of this, I ended up being able to get a great deal when I purchased my e46. It's paid off now, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without her help. I have too many friends today with bad credit, and they can barely afford to keep their cars. Good credit makes a big difference (sadly) in the world we live in today. Kudos to all of you young drivers out there on this forum, then again, I'm pretty young too still.. but who cares about age, right? we are all here together to help out each other and lift each other up, I don't know where I would be without this forum with all of the awesome people in it!

#233 · (Edited)
I was in high school when I had my 323. Local auction pick up, came with a bunch of M parts (side mirrors, seats, ZHP shiftknob, black grill, clear sidemarkers/corners/taillights speakers and painted trim) and I decided to continue where the previous owner left off.

I had a lot of fun with that car. It was fun to drift in the winter time, my friend's would go in groups of 3, 4 or more and all drift together. There's no wax on, wax off with drifting. You learn by doing it. How you drift is who you are.

Tokyo Drift quotes aside, I miss that car. I drive the M in a far more respecting manner because, it doesn't get 24MPGs like the 323 did, it's worth about 5-6 times as much, and it's...well...an M3. I respect this car a lot. In my eyes, it is THE perfectly engineered vehicle. It's comfortable, quick, stylish, rare, and extremely well respected by anyone who knows a thing about cars. Even the girls love it. :rofl:

But, spirited driving is always good fun too. The motor needs a workout, afterall, it wasn't built to be driven under 3,000RPMs all the time.

#234 · (Edited)
e46 are so inexpensive now that its accessible to practically everyone including high school kids.
i know i could have afforded one when i was in high school but i didnt like the image of having a bmw so in high school i went through with buying an unsafe salvaged g35coupe first and then switching to a little celica afterwards. the price i sold the celica for a couple weeks ago, with its older model year, higher mileage, and 45 less horsepower, completely paid for the 330ci i just picked up. bmw depreciation is kind of notorious though

#245 ·
Completely agree! Or they buy it for the "look at me" factor. But are most of the younger ones on HERE like that? I have seen many young people create some amazing DIY's or post something helpful. Many of these younger people who are total Dbags and act like they have a super car are usually not on any forums cause they dont maintain their car. So why do older people treat younger ones like sh!it on the forums? The younger ones have to learn somehow. right?

#259 ·
maybe I can bring this forum back on topic...maybe.
325ci
Bought in feb 100,000 on the clock.
insurance is bitch since I have collision.
paid for it myself. seeing how my parent borrows from me :rofl:
Being the full time manager of a bike shop helps haha.
put hsd coilovers on it and sways. pretty fun on New England roads
I live 15min Bavarian, how convenient.

Attachments

#266 · (Edited)
A car is never an investment unless you buy it for very cheap(given to you or got it in an auction) and sell it right away.
Been there done that. Wont do it again, as it is a lot of hassle and wait time to get the right buyer can be months if not weeks.

Bought an eclipse for 1500 sold for 2300.
Bought a mazda 626 for 2000 sold for 2600.

I bought them from repo auctions, so all the cars are running and no damage to the body.
Only thing I did to those cars were drive it for 2 months(thats when the provided temp tag expires) and sell it. No repairs or maintenance except for an oil change. Sold them with full disclosure.

Please note: as soon as you register the car(which of course needs insurance in almost all the states) you start loosing money and the re-sale value of the car goes down. Plus you start putting money for gas, that is also an expense towards investment(if you want to look at it that way).

I have seen some nice e46's in such auctions, but never bid on them just because I know they are not taken care of. If the owner of the car was not able to pay for the car(thats why a repo), he must not have maintained the car too.

Now, staying in this thread: There is nothing wrong with owning an e46 while in high school, just make sure you can afford it. Sometimes, maintaining these cars get expensive and people make wrong choice. Keep the cars clean(wash and wax it) and don't put stupid mods on it. Girls will like you and guys will envy you.
Also no loud music in e46, you will only be producing more rattles in the car with those 16 inch subs.

#271 ·
This thread is lame, they are older used cars. Get over having a badge and thinking you are superior.:facepalm: If you think that the E46 is rare and a fast speed racer....never mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.