E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Insurance question.,

3K views 57 replies 13 participants last post by  Stinger9 
#1 ·
I was driving in the right lane and a huge SUV starts turning right in to me and my immediate reaction is I turn away but I run into the curb and my front wheel has curb rash everywhere and the tire has a few rips (brand new tires) and the front lower part of my bumper has some
Major scratches as well. My brake light came on and won't go off and there is a slight shake when I go above 50 mph. I got the lady's insurance information and she told me to go get a quote then call her and we can work something out. Should I go to a body shop even though the damage is just to my wheels (slight damage to the bumper) or should I go a mechanic for the brake light/vibration? Also I don't want to take advantage of the lady but will I just get one new rim and a new paint job on the bumper or should I request 4 new rims and a new bumper? Ill post pics of the damage in a bit

Thanks!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
Ill need a tire too cuz theres a chunk missing. it hold air but the tires are about 3 weeks old.. Also if I go get a quote at a body shop how would they check the brake light problem and the suspension components?

#9 ·
I told the lady I'd get a quote before contacting insurance to see if we want to settle with cash or trough insurance depending on cost of the the repair

#10 ·
Is there a police report? How can u prove she did it? All u have is her info and license pic. Is there anything preventing her from backing out of the deal. Technically she didn't hit you. U avoided her and damaged ure own car. Just asking.. .don't flame me.

#11 ·
She was really nice. I told her we don't need to get police involved. She told me she'd cover the damage. She was a 50 year old blonde women from a rich town driving a Mercedes SUV. I think she'd rather pay then have a big deal where I'm potentially hiring lawyers and all that stuff if she refuses to pay. She was grateful that I reacted quick and got out of the way. It could have been so much worse then it was

#16 ·
She is trying to avoid her insurance premiums escalating. Give her the quote and see what she says. If she doesn't want to pay it call your insurance provider. It sounds like she has the money and wants to avoid getting her provider involved. Happened to me before, and the woman who cut me off came through...

#17 ·
Since there is no official police report could I be looking at a situation where she doesn't want to pay and won't have to pay? I don't have collision and I want my insurance to stay out because I don't want my premiums rising as well. The best bet would be to settle with cash but she hasn't called me back yet after I left a message 5 hours ago

#21 ·
Typically you have 24 hours to report the accident. Do it, you are about to eat a huge repair bill. Call the lady leave her a message give her 1 hour max to return your call or you go through the insurance channels.
No good deed goes unpunished.

#22 ·
Agree with Moosecakes, it doesn't look good.
You can get around the police report because unless there is a certain amount of damage or injury, most states don't require a police report but it sure helps to have one.
Even though the damage is $2k, you can get around that too because the damage did not appear that bad.

#23 ·
It's unfortunate, but the police probably aren't going to give 2 shits about your day old accident, I mean at least you have pics of her license and insurance, if she dodges you on the bill, contact her insurance and see if they can help. It's really in their hands if they will accept or deny the claim, but like I said without a report, your fkd :(

#25 · (Edited)
He isn't going after **** without a police report to prove guilt...

I see the adjuster thing in your sig so we understand the same things. My company would deny without a report. What I'm saying is if he had collision even if she dodged him he could file a claim with his company

#26 ·
The big lie insurance companies tell us is that it is not wise to carry collision coverage on an older car. Collision coverage will cost you what? $400 a year? Cheap at the price now, huh?

#30 ·
This is not the insurance company this is the agent, I always suggest full coverage if the client is not in a financial position to replace a totaled vehicle. There's a thing called E&O insurance we must all carry, many agents have been sued because they did not suggest proper coverages to the prospective clients.

What everyone fails to understand is that 99% of the time, it is NOT the company's fault your claim or policy got fuked up. It's your crappy agent..

#32 ·
This is a really bad situation to get involved with and it's because of our automatic human reaction mechanism.

However reading this info, I don't find the lady guilty of anything. You should of let her ram into you.

The fact that she is rich and drives a Mercedes is no plus either. Most rich people I know are the cheapest penny pinchers out there. You would of been better off hitting someone who was broke.

You only solution here is to see if you can find a witness. Put signs in the area stating if anybody noticed anything and to call you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#36 ·
There is one ray of hope. If she is truly honest, she can file an insurance report before it is too late and have them take care of it.
She can say that she was waiting to hear from you as to the extent of your claim before filing, as long as she files within the mandated time.

#38 ·
Guys good news, she called me back tonight and I can't even believe it but she was totally cool. She told me to fax her over the repair bill and see what we can work out. She didnt even pause when i said 2000 dollars. She was totally willing to compensate me for the damage. I'm surprised.
She is a very nice honest women and I really lucked out here! Ill update with progress when we speak tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input! I'm glad I will get this sorted out without too much stress

#42 ·
Thanks, yeah I really lucked out here. Can't believe bmw charges 566$ for one style 71 rim

#44 ·
I doubt there is more damage considering I was going under 30 mph when I hit the curb. But that's a good point. I'll start with the check for 2k, get the car taken apart and see where we go from there

#48 ·
Yeah i had a guy cut me off forcing me to jump the median..I had to chase him down and he offered $50
for the flat tire Lol!! I had my ins co call his Ins co. $4000 dollars later my front end got fixed by his ins co. When the police came to give me police report they said it has to be over a certain amount before they will write up a report... so he left. Goes to show ya u never know how much damage can't be seen underneath.

#49 ·
Right. I'm not too worried about damage considering I was going very slow, the only things ill need so far is a new rim, new bumper (or respray), and an alignment. Hopefully it will stay just that.

#54 ·
I'm thinkin about picking up a set of VMW V710's, any suggestions on where to get them?

#56 ·
You had better get (and cash) a check from her asap. She could turn around and say "who are you and what the hell are you talking about" at any moment and there would not be a damn thing you could do about it. I am read all of this right, she never hit you! You had an accident, not her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.