E46 Fanatics Forum banner

looking for some help

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tomoyer 
#1 ·
I have a 04 330xi and i just put on a set of gt7 rims on my car and after i drove about a mile my dsc and abs lights both came on. I have been told that i need to go to a dealership to get is fixed but i really don't want to do that bc of the insane cost of the dealer. If anyone even remotely knows what this is any help would be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I am getting them all rebalanced. I have noticed the difference in handling but it is not that much different from stock. I also don't race with it any more so i don't really care. The and random people telling me that I have a bad ass car makes up for it... kinda. I am going to have to look in to the new sensors years of living at the beach have caused rust to set in to several spots. wheels all around are the same diameter 18'' but the back ones are a slightly wider so they require a thicker tier but not by much. SamDoe1 thanks the diagram was a big help.

#10 ·
Easiest thing and quickest thing to check is to make sure that the wheel sensor wires are all in place and have not been cut by accident when installing the new wheels and tires. The wheels and tires (as long as the fitment is correct) would have no bearing on the dsc and abs system (unless the rear overall diameter is different than the front, then the 4 wheels and tires are not traveling at the same speed and this can cause an error to the dsc and abs).

I know others have done it, but on an all wheel drive, much better to have a square wheel/tire set than a staggered set, just from the stand point of handling and being able to rotate the tires for longer tread life.

#12 ·
Also with a staggered set-up (when rears are slightly larger in diameter than the fronts), is also hard on the all wheel drive system because both the front and rear end should be turning at same speed and travel same distance per rotation (often to hard to perfectly match overall diameter between fronts and rears in staggered set-up, where as on a rear wheel drive, the staggered set-up doesn't come into play too much, and yes, the wider tires on the rear than the front does look good, just not good for all-wheel drive.

#14 ·
In the future, if you do some work such as what you did and almost immediately have a warning light, go right in there and check for unplugged or damaged wiring for that system, nine times out of ten that's what happened and is an easy fix.

If the wire(s) are torn that you have some on either end, as a temporary fix you can splice them together while awaiting the new wire(s) to replace (though you can not do this if the wires have been pulled from the senor and there's nothing left to splice to.

Glad to be of help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.