E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info......D99 (new for 2012)

409K views 922 replies 208 participants last post by  325TI_Compact 
#1 · (Edited)
Code:
Dynavin D99

Here we go.... Just like the threads I started in the past, Im starting an official Dynavin D99 thread since these new units are now out and shipping. Ill be adding to and filling out this post over the next few days and weeks.

This thread is for D99 questions and info only. In order to keep info clear and accessible for future readers PLEASE try to keep opinions, speculations, and other unrelated discussion out of this thread.

If you have a question or concern that does not relate to the new D99 units please search or post in one of the existing Dynavin threads.

Dynavin D95 (V6) thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753
Android Development thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=892583
D99 Pre-release speculation thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=886222

New for 2012 Dynavin has released the D99 Navigation system for selected BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW cars. This unit will compliment their existing D95 units as a higher end model. While some things are carry over from the the D95 units, the new D99 will offer some features that have not previously been available from Dynavin. They have teamed with Parrot for the bluetooth system, have added an interface with the cars OBC, and have added Park Distance sensor support for cars so equipped.

The Android/WinCE "navigation side" of the units is unchanged.

Now for the good stuff....(will be adding content, for now here is a video of a D99 WinCE unit in action)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2S2iBKPwFQ&list=UU6rH4vNH5VlWKqz6sbnPhag&index=1&feature=plcp

Whats in the Box

USB Extension
ipod cable
bluetooth mic
wire harness
RCA input harness
RCA output harness
Remote
Antenna adapters
ibus interface box
gps antenna

Pretty much the same as the D95s, everything you need for a basic install. As before, cars with oem Nav require the "fakra cable kit" to extend all of the connections to the trunk as nav cars radios are actually in the trunk.

Source Selection Home Screen

There are two screens here, you can "swipe" the screen back and forth, the (probably) most common sources (radio, ipod, phone, etc) are on page one with the less common sources (USB, TV, etc) on page 2. You can also access the settings from here. I like the large clear buttons, it makes finding a source while driving quite a bit easier.

Settings Screen

As in the past the Dynavin has a fairly simple audio feature set, no fancy 32 band EQs or time alignment here....similar to stock, bass, treble, fader, balance. It does have a separate sub level control for the subwoofer RCA outputs for those running aftermarket subs.

One thing to point out in these menus as it is often missed.... the "DIM" function affects how the screen dims for night driving, you active this by HOLDING down the MUTE button, changing the DIM setting makes the screen dim or shut off completely depending on your preference.

Radio

The new radio interface is all big, clear, easy to press, touch screen buttons. The white text on a black background is also good for visibility. The radio can be configured to tune in US, Euro, or Asian frequencies. Pretty much works as expected.

Bluetooth

Dynavin has teamed with Parrot on the bluetooth. This adds phonebook functionality to the unit. It paired with my iphone within seconds and my phonbook was there and ready to use a few seconds after that, no need to do anything extra, it was just there. There is a keyboard for alphabetical search, you just start to type and once you are a few letters in you should see the contact that you are looking for. As far as quality goes, that is up to your mic location, your phone, your voice, how loud your car is, and a bunch of other variables. I personally had pretty good results putting the mic in the factory location but your results may vary.

Bluetooth streaming works as it has on previous dynavin units, although now with a slightly better layout of play/stop/track controls.

Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.

iPod

The ipod interface is an improvement over past dynavin versions but isnt perfect. It DOES have the ipod resume feature missing in the older units. So when you start your car, the ipod will start where you left off. As you can see in the video and pic above there are page forward and back buttons, and the menu button goes back a level. Holding down the menu button jumps back to the playlist/artist/album/etc... screen. While you can page forward and back there is no "alphabetical" search so if you have A LOT of artists it could be problematic, I have a couple hundred on my ipod and it isnt a problem but I can imagine it would get tedious if you had a thousand... If this is a problem for you consider getting an android unit and use the android media player and a SD card for you music instead as it DOES allow for more rapid scrolling.....

CD/DVD

SD/USB

The CD player and SD/USB digital interface are carry over from the D95 units and just like in the D95 they are cosmetically different than the other sources. That said, the SD/USB does require a different type of interface as it is folder dependent. I havent tested it yet to see if it has any limitations in levels of folder navigation, number of files etc...

Navigation WinCE

This is a screen shot of a WinCE unit running the Sygic Drive navigation program (a licensed copy comes with the units we sell but this may vary by dealer). The WinCE units will run any number of WinCE compatible nav programs, iGo Primo is a popular one here among the forum members, there are other threads dedicated to those other programs.

Navigation Android

The Nav setup on an android unit is totally different......read the original android thread for details, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753 and if you dont you do so at your own risk!

to be continued.....

See less See more
#595 ·
The WinCE units come with maps (from us at least), the android maps use Google Nav by default or you get other maps apps from the android market..... dont confuse the two.... Your nav doesnt work because google nav requires an internet connection. And that leads us to issue number 2:

I can almost guarantee that the installers didnt put in the wifi dongle, how would they know? The android Dynavin is one of the few units of its type in existence and the they would have no way to know about the wifi dongle unless you told them.

#596 ·
Hmmmm. Okay. I don't see it in the box anymore so I am not sure now. Perhaps they installed it in the wrong spot? I will print out your pictures and take it with me.

They have already agreed to check since they warranty the install.

Thanks for your help. I hope you are right and that fixes it. I don't have the patience anymore to deal with this stuff.

#597 ·
Jeff,

Thanks again for your help. Next time I get ready to buy a stereo for my car, I will check with you first. I sincerely appreciate your help. I was beginning to think I had the worst possible luck ever.

I had bought a Chinese stereo / GPS unit and installed it myself. It lasted aboiut 2 hours before the whole thing died. In the process of dying it knocked out my 325ci's main controller. And since the main controller was out, none of the other systems could communicate with the main controller and wouldn't work - like my convertible top, AC, etc.

Kindly

#599 ·
it says it will work with any LCD screen with an RCA style video inpug so it would plug into the dynavin's aux in.....

#600 ·
Jeff,

Now I am being told that the wifi dongle that came with my Dynavin needs a SIM Card in order for it to work. Does that make sense? Do I still need a mobile hotspot too or can I just tether my iphone and use it's Personal Hotspot?

I want to make sure I am getting the right thing and not wasting money in the process.

Kindly,

#601 · (Edited)
wow! I dont know who you are talking to but they definitely dont know what they are talking about....SIM cards are for modems and cell phones.... the wifi dongle is just that....its a little blue and white USB device, it plugs into the USB plug labeled GPS USB.....Maybe you were sent a modem instead of a wifi dongle???

It should have come with your dynavin and if it didnt you need to tell your dealer to send you one.

#602 ·
WTF over? So the dongle doesn't need a SIM card? I am trying to figure out why the radio would be "unable to scan for networks." The only thing I can think is maybe the wifi dongle got knocked out when they were pushing the radio in. I gotta wait 2 weeks before the company that installed the radio can take time to look at my car and see if they installed it properly. They are not real big on customer service.

Can you tell me definitely what I need to get my Dynavin to connect to the internet? I have a freaking iphone with personal hotspot already. I bought a T-Mobile mobile hotspot (because the unit says T-Mobile in it already) and the android part still doesn't work.

#604 ·
Go to my website, look at the install guide, note the wifi antenna, then pull the unit out yourself and see if its there, I bet its not.

Ive said this before and I dont mean to be rude...... I cant spend a lot of time walking other dealers customers through this. I do everything I can to make sure our customers understand the install and have all the info they need for things to go smooth.

I hate to see people have a bad experience but if you choose to do business with my competitors you are on your own, Im a VERY busy guy and I cant spend my time helping their customers.

Jeff,

Thanks for your help this week. I received the unit (you shipped it to San Francisco for me) and am going to All Pro Audio in San Jose tomorrow morning to have it installed. I will give you a call if there are any problems. Thanks again for making this a quick and easy process.

Regards,
Aneal
:thumbsup:

#603 ·
Jeff,

Thanks for your help this week. I received the unit (you shipped it to San Francisco for me) and am going to All Pro Audio in San Jose tomorrow morning to have it installed. I will give you a call if there are any problems. Thanks again for making this a quick and easy process.

Regards,
Aneal

#605 ·
Absolutely! Thanks for your assistance. If I could return the unit and buy from you instead, I would. Too bad I didn't research it enough to know that you offered the unit I wanted.

I have PTSD and don't handle stress very well. So I really appreciate your help!

#606 ·
Hi Jeff, not sure if anyone else has had this issue but when my MC2000 Dynavin D99 Android was installed I tried the DVD player out and it played the DVD in colour but for some reason this time when I went to use it it plays but only in black and white. Im just wondering if this is common and if there is something I can do to rectify the issue? Would resetting to factory settings help at all. Just confused - any advice or info would be awesome, Thanks Guys,

Jono

#608 · (Edited)
sounds like the color setting in the radio settings menu might be turned down, if not then something is wrong and you will need to contact your dealer.

Jeff,

The installers replied back to my email in which i explained the install for the wifi dongle. They put it in the wrong USB slot. They put the wifi dongle in the slot for USB Audio instead of USB GPS.

Whew! I was really beginning to think I was losing my mind.

Kindly,
One of the most common installation mistakes.

#607 ·
Jeff,

The installers replied back to my email in which i explained the install for the wifi dongle. They put it in the wrong USB slot. They put the wifi dongle in the slot for USB Audio instead of USB GPS.

Whew! I was really beginning to think I was losing my mind.

Kindly,

#609 ·
Jeff,
Mmm sounds like there could be a more serious issue then, because its weird - the radio is colour, the nav area is colour, ipod is all colour its just when i go to play a dvd the image is black and white.
Ill have a muck around and see if theres some settings that have been inadvertently adjusted.

Cheers Mate

Jono

#610 · (Edited)
the color/contrast/brightness settings only apply to video playback, check it, center all the settings, then see where you are at.

#612 ·
Jeff,

I sent the people that installed the radio, a picture of the wifi dongle. They say they don't recognize it. They also say that they returned any spare parts to me. I checked everything. When I gave them the radio to install, the box was unopened.

Do you sell the wifi dongle? If so, how much would it be?

Kindly,

#614 · (Edited)
You should have got one with your unit so if you confirm that you dont have it contact your dealer and tell them to send you one ASAP. I can sell you one but I shouldn't have to, your dealer needs to make it right.

Not an option with my dealer, not something he will entertain.

There has to be another way surely?
???? Your dealer wont send you a file so you can reprogram the ibus box? :banghead: This isnt some crazy random thing im talking about, its the alternate ibus box program FROM DYNAVIN.
Frankly these other dealers are starting to piss ME off now.....:evil:

#616 ·
Thanks Jeff. I will contact them again. Frankly, I don't think they know what they are selling as well as you do. Especially given that they told me that the wifi dongle needed a SIM card.

#617 · (Edited)
Dynavin D99 in BMW e46 (Non-Android)

Jeff,

I'm glad to say my Dynavin arrived yesterday (QUICK!) and I'm mid-install.

However, I see 31 pages of thread before me, and while I've tried to skim it the best I can, I'm losing time while I'm installing.

I've soft-installed everything without remounting it to do a quick test, but I've noticed an irritating 'skip' or 'bounce' in both the iPod and the Radio playback.. :banghead:

Not that I think it makes a difference (since it affects Radio play too), but I have a dealer-installed OEM BMW iPod interface cable that I'm bypassing with this setup.

I'm assuming this is nothing new, but could you point me towards a quick solution so I can proceed please.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Carl

P.S. If you have a quick solution, please feel free to call my cell.

#619 · (Edited)
Jeff,

I'm glad to say my Dynavin arrived yesterday (QUICK!) and I'm mid-install.

However, I see 31 pages of thread before me, and while I've tried to skim it the best I can, I'm losing time while I'm installing.

I've soft-installed everything without remounting it to do a quick test, but I've noticed an irritating 'skip' or 'bounce' in both the iPod and the Radio playback.. :banghead:

Not that I think it makes a difference (since it affects Radio play too), but I have a dealer-installed OEM BMW iPod interface cable that I'm bypassing with this setup.

I'm assuming this is nothing new, but could you point me towards a quick solution so I can proceed please.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Carl

Dont know....that could be a lot of things....but the most obvious would be that your battery is getting low (doors open, interior lights on while you installed) causing your amp to cut out....

The next possibility is that the nav program is up to something that you dont realize, take out the Nav SD card to disable the nav part of the unit to rule this out....

Also you might want to go back and delete your phone number from your post, you dont want these weirdos on this forum getting your phone number :eeps:

#618 ·
Hey guys - I'm in the process of upgrading my OEM business CD stereo to a Dynavin clone and cannot get it to work. I have an OEM iPod interface that was installed by the BMW dealership at the time i purchased the car in 2004 when brand new. I noticed that the main stereo harness has been modified to accommodate the OEM iPod interface. Have you guys come across this and can you recommend a workaround?

#621 ·
Can anyone tell me how to set the proper time offset on the WinCE side for Navigation?
My unit is showing GMT time, and I'd like to see Pacific. I've played around with the settings screens but not seen any setting like this.
The answer may be in another thread, and I appologize ahead of time if this is an answer I could have found on my own; but I swear I've red through a few hundred posts and not found anything yet :)

#622 ·
Hi

I have the same problems with the Air condition as you after installing the Dynavin.

It turns on and of, sometimes it also adjust the temperature by itselfe. Sometimes the air fan rises by itselfe as well.

Im driving a BMW 520i Touring 2003 modell

Did you find any solution on this problem?

Best Regards
Ove

#624 ·
Hi All,
Iam from the UK and new to the forum.
I have installed a D99 Android unit and the DVD drive is not working, my car is an M3 with no satnav, just a CD Changer in the trunk.
I finished the install and Radio, Satnav, TV, Wifi all work but the discs load but dont play, (Music and DVD).
I have removed both plugs from the exsisting CD Changer but still cant get discs to play.
I have also search this and many forums for some answer to what might have happened but i cant find anything to help me solve this problem.
I would be very greatfull if anyone can help me to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

#625 ·
Did you take the shipping screws out of the top of the unit? Red tag with two screws that hold the drive secure during shipping.

#628 ·
Dual Zone

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but there is one burning question I have that I can not find an answer for yet.
Is it possible to play a dvd on attached screen through AV-out and have navigation on the main dynavin unit?

I assume more people have kids that like to watch dvd on the backseat, especially on long road trips, and where you also need navigation in the front.

Is this possible? I know it works with Pioneer sets, but I like the looks of the Dynavin better.

Thank you.