E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin Info.........D95 "Version 6"

82K views 132 replies 44 participants last post by  jibonifas 
#1 · (Edited)
NEW DYNAVIN...D95

New for 2012, Dynavin is rolling out a new updated "D95" platform stereo/navigation system, following the past nomenclature it will likely end up being referred to as a Version 6......or V6.

It is a new set of hardware and a new interface although it remains similar to previous models. The new hardware is mostly related to the "Radio" part of the unit, the navigation part (both WinCE and Android models) carries forward unchanged.

In light of this it is time to update the Dynavin info thread! Discussion can continue about the V5 units on the old thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437

And if you want to talk about Android specific stuff, keep it in the android thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753

Instead of repeating the old thread over again I will instead focus on the changes in the new D95 units, for a broader overview of what a Dynavin is, install info, etc... read the old thread.

Please read EVERYTHING before you ask a question, I will do my best to put new info this thread as it is found.

And of course dont forget to Read the Dynavin FAQ: http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavinsolutions/faq-links/

Shameless Plug: Due to my involvement in the BMW and Dynavin communities, and some scary situations with previous Dynavin dealers, I decided last year to become a Dynavin dealer. You can still get a Dynavin from me along with all the help and advice you might need.....DYNAVIN SOLUTIONS.... you can email me at jtdist@sbcglobal.net, find us in the sponsor section, or click the link in my sig to find out how you can get one for yourself.

Now on to the good stuff.....

Cosmetically the units are the same, same buttons, same knobs, same fit/finish, and that is a good thing!

But behind the scenes Dynavin has made some changes to the wiring, gone is the bulky wire harness, in its place is a simplified setup with removable plug in auxiliary harnesses. The steering wheel interface wiring is now a completely integrated part of the wire harness. Note the RCA plugs are now separate, so if you are not using them, you don't have to install them! This saves valuable space in the dash and makes for an easier fit in the dash. (Those of you with previous dynavin units know what im talking about!)

Installation

Im not going to clutter this post with install info, check out the old thread for that:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437

Once the unit is in the dash, this is what you will find:

Radio

The radio is little changed, small refinements mostly making for a more intuitive interface, reception seems a little better than in past units.

iPod

The ipod interface is MUCH improved, the unit now has the "standard" ipod interface with the ability to browse by artist/album/song/playlist/etc... , no frills, no video, or album art, but the interface is clean, fast, and functional. YES it has the "ipod resume" feature. The only real downside ive seen is that shuffle tends to slow the unit down so its important to be deliberate and careful if you use shuffle mode, don't do too many commands at once or you may get erratic performance. Other than that everything pretty much works as you would think it would.

relevant info is displayed

DVD/CD/USB/MP3

Just like in previous units the "digital sources" have a somewhat different interface, on the V6 it is far more attractive than previous units and changes based on the needs of the source (USB showing the file structure while CDs show only a track listing for instance)

Bluetooth

Bluetooth phone performance seems much improved, the unit still has an internal AND an external mic but the performance of the external mic is much improved, I found that with a little experimentation I was able to clip the mic in place in the factory microphone location by the sunroof controls. Sound quality here was good.

your results will of course vary depending on a multitude of factors, my initial tests show this is a good starting point but I still encourage everyone to experiment a bit for best results.

Still no contact list so dialing still must be done from the phone or the on screen number pad.

The steering wheel "talk" button works to answer, reject, and hang up calls.

Bluetooth streaming is still very good, sound quality is good and the Play/Pause and Track buttons work very well (with an iphone at least). As is typical though bluetooth streaming volume is fairly low so its critical to make sure your phones bluetooth media volume level is all the way up.

Source Selection

Pressing the MODE button on the front of the unit brings up the main source selection screen, from here you can access any of the sources or the radio settings menu.

Audio Settings Menu

The audio menu can be adjusted from this screen but all the standard audio adjustments are also accessible by pressing the volume knob, nice and intuitive.

Yes that is a subwoofer volume control for those of you with subs...

other settings

I wont be going into the details of all the settings here but I will be putting together a setup guide on my website in the coming weeks to explain the function and desired settings of the various options...

"Hidden" factory settings menu

This menu is exactly what it sounds like, its used by the factory or the installer to do some basic setup and regional adjustments, it is accessed by selecting AUX as the source, then holding down 9 on the remote. Here you can change the radio region to the appropriate area, set the units output to match your factory amp (or not) Hint: DO NOT select "optical" or you may blow up your speakers.... :D ....im not kidding....

There is also the tricky little inclusion of a LOGO setting....for legal reasons Dynavin cant ship units with the BMW logo but they did hide this little easter egg in the unit. Setting it to BMW gives the unit a BMW roundel on start up instead of the Dynavin logo, NICE.

Finished

Ill be adding more to this post over the next few days and weeks, navigation info, android vs winCE info, etc...

so stay tuned...

See less See more
#4 ·
D95 refers to this years new models, there are android versions AND winCE versions, The radio part (most of what you see above)is the same on both units. Please read the FAQ on my website and the dedicated threads on this forum for more info about that.

#5 ·
will there be any firmware upgrades for the d90 units for improvments/updates? I just bought mine from you this summer and Im really disappointed I didnt wait for this one...

#15 ·
No, the D95 is a new unit, new hardware, new software.

Does the new unit come with an antenna for digital TV in the US? Will it work with one?
No, dynavin makes DVBT tuners but not ATSC tuners, they sent me some test units last year but it didnt work out well, honestly digital ATSC is basically useless in the mobile environment.

#8 · (Edited)
Our BMW unit stock is new so it's all D95. E46, E39, E9x are all the new platform.

#10 ·
Voice search doesn't seem to work but I don't yet know if that is hardware or software.

#12 ·
well it did work previously (on the older units) so I dont know if its a bug or something that was specifically removed, I can say as a long time dynavin android user that voice search in the car didnt work well, it worked OK when sitting still but not so much when driving, too much ambient noise, .

#20 ·
those settings you are messing with are just for DVD playback, The android part has its own relative brightness adjustment and holding down the MUTE button on the front of the unit will dim or turn off the screen depending on the "DIM" setting in the radio menu.

#21 ·
Yeah... But i rarely use the unit for playing movies... Seems pretty stupid limiting those settings to dvd playback. All i wanted was to adjust the screen settings for a better view during days with strong sunlight (i'm usimg the ipod interface most of the time). Supposing i get a 7 inch antiglare protection film, would it make a considerable difference?

#22 · (Edited)
No, I dont really want to reinvent the wheel here as this has already been discussed endlessly...BUT...You are going to get a reflection on the Dynavins screen no matter what, The dash is angled in such a way that the dynaivns screen will always be reflecting the back window, some anti glare screens may help marginally, some may make it worse. Window tint certainly helps but its all trial and error.

#24 · (Edited)
Jeff, can you change tracks using the steering wheel controls while at this screen? Or do you have to navigate like in the D90 - "R/T" button to go back, up and down to select the song then "talk" to enter. Was hoping the ipod "now playing" screen pictured below would work the way it does in the D90 when in navi mode- up and down buttons on the steering controls change tracks instantly.

Also, are the "up" and "down" arrows on the touch screen still there? Could you still use those to scroll through the songs/playlists, and do the "left" and "right" arrows still advance to the next "page"?

And finally, would you happen to know if the V6 drains the first-gen iPod Video's battery when left connected, like the V5 did? Thanks!

#26 · (Edited)
Jeff, can you change tracks using the steering wheel controls while at this screen? Or do you have to navigate like in the D90 - "R/T" button to go back, up and down to select the song then "talk" to enter. Was hoping the ipod "now playing" screen pictured below would work the way it does in the D90 when in navi mode- up and down buttons on the steering controls change tracks instantly.

Also, are the "up" and "down" arrows on the touch screen still there? Could you still use those to scroll through the songs/playlists, and do the "left" and "right" arrows still advance to the next "page"?

And finally, would you happen to know if the V6 drains the first-gen iPod Video's battery when left connected, like the V5 did? Thanks!
the steering wheel buttons are just track forward/back. On the artist/album/playlist/etc... screen, everything is is just touch to select.....so you touch artist, use the "next/previous" screen arrows to fine your selection and touch it....menu button to go back, just like on an ipod, its VERY intuative and works pretty much exactly how you would expect it to. I dont know how the charging with various ipods will work, time will tell.

#27 ·
Has anyone purchased this unit yet?

I've been away from the discussion but this unit seems to have what I was missing to purchase the Dynavin(ipod screen prettied up and ipod resume). As far as Android/Windows, I'll need to catch up since IIRC the Android side had a lot of force close issues...

Thanks jeff, keeping a close eye on this one.

#31 · (Edited)
Has anyone purchased this unit yet?
I have, and installed it last Thursday. Unfortunately (for the purposes of playing with the Dynavin at least), I've been on vacation since Friday. So I certainly don't have it dialed in yet, just a few hours of familiarization and customization. That said, I'd be more than happy to check on anything you're wondering about on Sunday or Monday.

#32 · (Edited)
Ok I guess I finally found the right place lol.

When I was trying to install it, it seems different than Jeff's old post, all wiring stuffs are different, not I know I got a newer version lol. Anyway, I was installing on my 02 with stock Navi yesterday, and found out a few issue with it, guess I have to share, also to see if anyone can help.

1. After install, all buttons back light don't work at all, I am guessing there should be something wrong related with the old Fakra cable pinout, don't have time next week but I'll try to figure out the week after if no one founf out what's wrong.

2. I think still related to the old Fakra cable, there is no old steering wheel control box come with it, but has the new small one in Jeff's picture, part# ARC-002-DYN, I would guess this is the new steering wheel control??? Anyway, the new box has different plug than the one on Fakra cable(I mean if it's really the newer steering control box, if not then it makes sense). So the steering wheel control with Fakra cable doesn't work, the new unit doesn't have a IR plug for old style steering wheel control, but if you see the diagram sticker on the unit, it's parts of the new harness. So I guess they have to make a new Fakra cable soon.

I'v got the Android version, with back up camera as an option, everything else works great so far, just have to figure out the Fakra cable issue.

#33 ·
Ok I guess I finally found the right place lol.

My friends ordered me a Dynavin unit recently as a present, I don't know where they ordered from tho. When I was trying to install it, it seems different than Jeff's old post, all wiring stuffs are different, not I know I got a newer version lol. Anyway, I was installing on my 02 with stock Navi yesterday, and found out a few issue with it, guess I have to share, also to see if anyone can help.

1. After install, all buttons back light don't work at all, I am guessing there should be something wrong related with the old Fakra cable pinout, don't have time next week but I'll try to figure out the week after if no one founf out what's wrong.

2. I think still related to the old Fakra cable, there is no old steering wheel control box come with it, but has the new small one in Jeff's picture, part# ARC-002-DYN, I would guess this is the new steering wheel control??? Anyway, the new box has different plug than the one on Fakra cable(I mean if it's really the newer steering control box, if not then it makes sense). So the steering wheel control with Fakra cable doesn't work, the new unit doesn't have a IR plug for old style steering wheel control, but if you see the diagram sticker on the unit, it's parts of the new harness. So I guess they have to make a new Fakra cable soon.

I'v got the Android version, with back up camera as an option, everything else works great so far, just have to figure out the Fakra cable issue.
From what I understand, if you got the D95 unit you will need to use a new fakra cable that is not out yet...(maybe it is now?) so using the old fakra may cause all those issues you're having...

#35 ·
Ok finished my work early today, just checked the harness, please check pictures below, there are a few changes from the new harness, but nothing really major.

Left is Fakra harness, and right is the new V6's short harness, this picture shows why my button doesn't light up. As you can see, the Illumi wire(orange on Fakra and light orange on new harness) is one pin to the left on new harness.

As well as the speaker output wires are re-designed at different pin location.

To the trunk side of the Fakra cable, I think there are different version of Fakra cable as well, since my is different than Jeff's installation threat one.

Again, left is Fakra cable I got, and right side is the new V6 harness. As you can see, it's missing the illumi wire, but somehow, there is an orange wire zip tied on the Fakra cable you can see behind, it's part of the Fakra cable, and goes to front plug, so I guess you can just relocate the Dynavin end pin and hook up the illumi wire yourself.

Left Fakra cable, right new harness.

And I guess there are car's year model different too, I guess the reason they don't have that orange wire hooked up to the trunk harness, because there is actually no wire on stock plug.

This is new wiring diagram on V6

Illumi should be easy fix now, I am gonna check the steering control now, will update later.

#36 ·
Quick update before going out for dinner, just fixed everything, here is the solution for steering wheel control.

So the small box come with the V6 is the new steering wheel control box, but it has different connector. So what you can do is, cut the one from the new harness, and replace the Fakra cable one with this new plug. During the work, you will found out that 3 out 4 wires are matching color, which you can basically connect to each other. The other one on Fakra cable is red, but new harness one is brown, as you can see on the new V6's diagram, brown is for IR in. The brown that on Fakra was used for AMP-CON, so you have to cut the AMP-CON and connect to the steering wheel controller plug, and leave the red along. Brown on Dynavin side is still in correct position, so you don't have to do anything to it. Now the steering wheel control works just fine.

For Illumi, relocate the orange wire on dynavin main plug to the right pin position, which is one pin next to it. The trunk side, hook it up to your taillight, you'll be fine.

So everything could be done, just little extra works.

#37 · (Edited)
Good work and thank you for figuring this out on your own but it is very important to make clear this is because you are using an old D90 fakra cable with a new D95 unit.

So just so everyone who reads this thread for the rest of time understands this is a non issue....if you order a new dynavin you will get the new matching cable.....the above is about matching up non matching parts

#39 · (Edited)
Yes...... if you dont specifically know exactly what owenxguo is talking about....then it doesnt affect you and you will never need to know it.

It is only relevant for people who had a V5 unit AND had a OEM NAV previously AND used a Fakra Cable AND upgraded to the new D95 units AND didnt buy a new D95 Fakra to go with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.