E46 Fanatics Forum banner

qoute from bmw- wil it fix my problem

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  trizzuth 
#1 ·
cponcerned this problem will not be fixed. also concerned about the price. DIY? can anyone advise me on what to do.

OPERATION: 3241351 Power Steering Intake & Return Hoses, r&r
328i Tank To Pump 99/00

LABOR HOURS: 1.10

QTY PART NUMBER PART DESCRIPTION PART PRICE EXT PRICE
1 BM32-41-1-095-526 INTAKE MANIFOLD 76.86 76.86
2 BM07-12-9-952-109 HOSE CLAMP 3.06 6.12
1 BM83-22-9-407-858 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSI 16.50 16.50
1 BMWP EST BY WILL 0.01 0.01

MISC CODE MISC DESCRIPTION QUOTE MIN QUOTE MAX PRICE
SS SHOP SUPPLIES/ENVIRONMENTAL FEES 3.00 39.95 12.23

LABOR $: 152.90
PARTS $: 99.49
GOG $: 0.00
MISC. $: 12.23
------------------------
SUBTOTAL $: 264.62

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPERATION: WB2 Replace Both Front Wiper Blades 99/06 Set

LABOR HOURS: 0.20

1 BM61-61-0-037-009 SET OF WIPER BLADES 73.16 73.16

SS SHOP SUPPLIES/ENVIRONMENTAL FEES 3.00 39.95 3.00

LABOR $: 14.00
PARTS $: 73.16
MISC. $: 3.00
------------------------
SUBTOTAL $: 90.16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPERATION: 3241250 Power Steering Reservoir, r&r 323i, 328i 99/00

LABOR HOURS: 1.00

1 BM32-11-1-131-345 HOSE CLAMP 8.42 8.42
1 BM16-12-1-180-242 HOSE CLAMP 4.28 4.28
1 BM83-22-9-407-858 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSI 16.50 16.50
1 BM32-41-6-851-217 OIL CARRIER 83.52 83.52
1 BMWP EST BY WILL 0.01 0.01

SS SHOP SUPPLIES/ENVIRONMENTAL FEES 3.00 39.95 11.12

LABOR $: 139.00
PARTS $: 112.73
MISC. $: 11.12
------------------------
SUBTOTAL $: 262.85

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm really not hearing anything and aren't sure what your issue is. If it's related to the mpg gauge, I'm not sure how PS is involved.

It sounds like you have some PS fluid leaking to me based on the bmw repair estimate, but that is diyable.

Can you use words to describe the issue as you described it to the dealer?

#10 ·
I don't see anything on your quote that matches the issue in the vid. I would ask the service rep to actually diagnose the problem with the mpg gauge. It is likely just a vaccume hose. The rest is just typical Dealor add ons. If your PS is leaking somewhere and you are comfortable with paying that price,go ahead,but the gauge problem is likely a $5 vaccume hose.

sent from my ATARI sc1224

#11 ·
I can't believe the pricks want to double charge you labor to remove the reservoir. You have to remove it anyway to do the hoses, so the labor is included in that, you should only be paying a little extra for the reservoir itself. Either way though, like it was mentioned, why are they changing PS hoses to fix your MPG gauge?

#12 ·
I have no idea what you think your problem is. Are you trying to fix your mpg gauge? Are you trying to fix a steering problem? Are you trying to fix a leak.

What did you tell the dealer the problem was?????

They will no doubt fix what you tell them the problem is. If not the first time, eventually. Just keep giving them money and describing the problem and eventually they will fix the "problem".

I have not looked up the part numbers for the pieces they plan to replace. Have you?

That MPG gauge is a weird thing. I still haven't figured out how it works. It seems to use vacuum as one input (in the old days we used to just run a vacuum gauge, it can give you some indication of fuel use with a carberated car, and also with a fuel injected car, but it is a guide - not accurate) but clearly it is not just vacuum since it goes to infinite when not moving. It is also not a simple measure of fuel use (determined by speed divided by injector on time). Perhaps somebody at BMW knows how it works, or is supposed to work, but I have not run across that description (except for a short blurb in the manual). Apparently it uses vacuum from power steering vacuum reseviour. Not sure why.

Have you looked up the part number BMW wants to replace? I have not. But there might be two power steering reseviours - one for fluid, one for vacuum. Maybe bmw dealer is trying to fix two problems they see?

You appear to have an automatic transmission (wild guess based on your video), so the behavior of the mpg meter on my car might be useless. But I've found the guage useless, though fun to look at. I think having it peg at low speed with any throttle applied is normal. That is what mine does. It also reacts slowly

#13 ·
Don't let them do your wiper blades, just Woah! Bavauto.com has a really good set for $22 each, and they are easy to install. There are even cheaper blades if you look around, but the PIAA ones are very good. I think the Bosch ones are only $17 each.

#14 ·
Why do people get rid of their original blades? It's like 10 dollars for the inserts (like $14 from the dealer) and takes 5 minutes to cut and replace?

#15 ·
Eventually the pivot points get loose (starts to make noise when it changes direction plus it changes the blade alignment relative to the glass), the plastic wing gets brittle (and breaks off, like mine), surface rust for those in salted areas plus the black paint fades and makes the car look older than it is.

Granted it took my 325 8 years and 72k miles before it started to look like it needed replacement. They don't wear often, but I do recommend changing them every few years. New wiper assemblies wipe chatter-free and noise-free and it's a good feeling. Your experience may vary.

#20 · (Edited)
It's like 3 bolts and some side cutters to do that job.
Pull the intake box off,
cut the top off an old winshield wash fluid bottle and stick it where the air box was,
take out the 2 (12mm I think) bolts holding the reservoir bracket in place,
tip it over and empty the fluid into the washer bottle,
use the sidecutter to cut the hose clamps off,
jam the washer fluid bottle under the thing best you can,
pull the reservoir off the hoses,
put your new hose clamps over the power steering lines,
put the new reservoir on,
tighten the clamps,
swap the bracket off the old reservoir,
now bolt the new one back in place and re install the airbox.
And don't forget to fill the reservoir with fluid.

Matter of fact here is a tube vid on how to do it.
[youtube]T4Gp1vNgOLc[/youtube]

#18 ·
Where is the reservoir leaking from? A common thing is the o-ring in the cap leaks.
The LP hose from the reservoir down is an easy fix, too.
One consideration for replacing the reservoir itself (instead of just the o-ring) is there is a filter in the bottom of the reservoir.
Replacing these is a simple thing, and a lot cheaper than paying someone.

#22 ·
what the F is the intake manifold quote on there for power steering reservoir and hose replacement?

dude this shop should be f'n reported to the f'n better business bureau, what a scam.

#23 · (Edited)
Intake manifold is the name of the hose going from the PS reservoir to the pump - see #1 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM53&mospid=47712&btnr=32_0958&hg=32&fg=20.

OP, as you appear to be in Canada, I am not sure the best place to get the parts. But look for a ZF reservoir and CRP hoses - these should be OEM. I paid ~$25 for the reservoir and $15 for the intake hose at pelican this year. Also, as stated - this is a very easy DIY. Change the fluid while you're at it.

Luke

#24 ·
Well that is just the stupidest most misleading thing I've ever read. Ridiculous. OP, get the reservoir, and necessary hoses from autohausaz.com, cheapest, best quality for the price. Be aware that getting that one hose off that has the plastic squeeze clamp built in is a major pain in the azz without the correct tool. I had a friend work with me and was prying with two screw drivers while he was pulling and we struggled for about a half hour before it came off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.